**MILAN (AP) — Italy has expelled two Moroccans who caused disturbances in Catholic churches as part of a wider effort to reduce terrorism threats, the country’s top security official said Thursday.
Interior Minister Angelino Alfano detailed the deportations to lawmakers but didn’t say if the action was inspired by Tuesday’s killing in France of a Catholic priest during Mass. Nations across Europe are reconsidering security arrangements at Christian places of worship following the priest’s slaying by two young men claiming allegiance to the Islamic State group.
Alfano said Italy has deported 102 foreigners suspected of links to Islamic militants since the beginning of 2015 in hopes of reducing the threat of attacks. Among them have been eight imams, including one shipped home Tuesday to Morocco.
He said the two expulsions to Morocco involved a 25-year-old man who threw a 300-year-old wooden crucifix to the ground earlier this month inside a Venice church and a 69-year-old man who burst into a church last year in Trentino, northern Italy, and shouted abusive statements about Catholicism.**
The article continues at the link.