It's getting really hard to feel sorry for this guy

Even now that he has cancer Christopher Hitchens can't help but create his cheap straw-man arguments against religion and religious people. Seems he wants to remain a jerk till the bitter end

"Mel Gibson Isn't Just an Angry Narcissist
His tirades are the distilled violence, cruelty, and bigotry of right-wing Catholic ideology."

slate.com/id/2260937

I know.

We as good Catholics need to pray for people that are most in need of God's Mercy. I hope if I ever go wacko that you all pray for me.

Love is not emotion but an act of the will. Show your love by prayer for even those that make it tough and you will also build treasure in Heaven.

Say a Divine Mercy Chaplet and it will help them and all of us as well. Take care and God Bless.

[quote="PAboy57, post:2, topic:207135"]
I know.

We as good Catholics need to pray for people that are most in need of God's Mercy. I hope if I ever go wacko that you all pray for me.

Love is not emotion but an act of the will. Show your love by prayer for even those that make it tough and you will also build treasure in Heaven.

Say a Divine Mercy Chaplet and it will help them and all of us as well. Take care and God Bless.

[/quote]

Good advice.

As hard as it is to do, praying for those like Hitchens is quite the act of Christian Love. I remind myself that God wants him to turn around more than we do!

I am reminded of the Gospel story of the Good Samaritan, of only a couple weeks ago. The analogy of Samaritan/Jew to Christian / militant atheist is quite apropos.

yes, I agree praying for a loathsome creature like Hitchens is truly a test of the virtue of charity, it ain’t easy.

“Mommie Dearest
The pope beatifies Mother Teresa, a fanatic, a fundamentalist, and a fraud.” By Christopher Hitchens

slate.com/id/2090083

I’ve always prayed that he would harden not his heart.

The other side views the Gibson implosion as a crack in the defenses of God (or any religious belief for that matter). They intend to exploit it and push as much vile stuff as possible through that crack with the hope that it widens and other faithful turn away.

A billion Catholics in the world and if any one of them acts like a total jerk, atheist bigots like Hitchens try and paint the other 999,999,999 people with the same brush.

it's just sad and pathetic at the same time

It has always been this way and probably always will.

[quote="ronnie_bonigli, post:4, topic:207135"]
yes, I agree praying for a loathsome creature like Hitchens is truly a test of the virtue of charity, it ain't easy.

[/quote]

A sinner praying for another sinner is a problem? Our Lord managed to sincerely pray for people who had just nailed Him to a tree and were (as far as they thought) taking His life.

[quote="a_priori, post:9, topic:207135"]
A sinner praying for another sinner is a problem? Our Lord managed to sincerely pray for people who had just nailed Him to a tree and were (as far as they thought) taking His life.

[/quote]

Are you suggesting our Lord was a sinner? :eek:

[quote="Sailor_Kenshin, post:10, topic:207135"]
Are you suggesting our Lord was a sinner? :eek:

[/quote]

:banghead:

[quote="a_priori, post:9, topic:207135"]
A sinner praying for another sinner is a problem?

[/quote]

a priori, I didn't say it is a problem, I said praying for a loathsome creature like Hitchens is truly a test of the virtue of charity, the man clearly despises Catholics, he's even trashed Mother Teresa (and wrote a book trashing her). It's easy to pretend it isn't hard caring about nasty people, in the abstract it's easy. Would you find it easy to pray for someone who's said cruel things about your mother? So why is it suppose to be any easier when someone's made a career of saying cruel things about your Church?

[quote="ronnie_bonigli, post:12, topic:207135"]
a priori, I didn't say it is a problem, I said praying for a loathsome creature like Hitchens is truly a test of the virtue of charity, the man clearly despises Catholics, he's even trashed Mother Teresa (and wrote a book trashing her). It's easy to pretend it isn't hard caring about nasty people, in the abstract it's easy. Would you find it easy to pray for someone who's said cruel things about your mother? So why is it suppose to be any easier when someone's made a career saying cruel things about your Church?

[/quote]

Because I don't take it personally. I try to be obedient and let Christ discern men's hearts. I'm called to pray for those who despise me so I do. My plate is full enough dealing with my own sin without going out of my way to take every slam against Christendom personally. This isn't a European soccer team or an Appalachian mountain clan where we get all amped up over a perceived slight. It is the transcendent Body of Christ. We're supposed to pray for those who hate us. Feeling sorry is irrelevant. Actually "feeling" anything is irrelevant. Christ said pray, so I pray.

When God puts His hand on someone, I take mine off.

My philosophy when it comes to people who I don't agree with who have died or have terminal illness.

I don’t agree with him on everything, but I am probably one of the few here who find Hitchens brilliant and often has some very legitimate points.

Hitchens is not a writer who expresses much charity, but he does write well. He seems at least to be right about Mel Gibson belonging to a religious splinter group. Gibson seems to be a sedevacantist, and has his own “Catholic” church unconnected to any diocese.

Praying for the conversion of Christopher Hitchens:

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

I read this article a few months back about Hitchens, Dawkins, and how the "New Atheists" as bad as Christian Fundamentalists. It's definitely does not paint a pretty portrait of the two of them, but it's it's a very good read, highly recommend it

alternet.org/belief/143674/are_the_%22new_atheists%22_as_bad_as_christian_fundamentalists/?page=entire

For the sake of my own sanity, I can’t take Catholic bashers (or any other extreme group) personally. I pray for them (when I think about it,) and otherwise ignore them. That seems to be the best strategy (for me, anyways) when I’m confronted with a shrill, attention-seeking loony. The more attention you give them, the worse they act!

Ted Kennedy: I didn’t like a single thing about his politics. There were troubling aspects to his personal life.

Yet when he contracted that brain tumor I prayed for him. I admired his guts and fighting spirit. I can pray for Hitch, too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.