It's official- I'm no longer LDS.

I posted in a thread recently about the stress of being bounced around by the records and local leaders in the LDS church when trying to have my records removed, and I figured I’d post an update: They were finally removed!

I used the new email format found on exmormon.org/remove.htm and basically kept to the script provided. About a week after, I got a letter saying that it was a local matter and that my request was being forwarded to the local stake president and bishop. I went ahead and sent them both fairly cordial letters stating that I looked forward to getting this taken care of as soon as possible, and never heard back, although my visiting and home teachers definitely got a lot more active in trying to contact me.
Last week, I got my official letter stating that my records had been removed, so all in all it was a little over 2 months from start to finish in the whole process.

The new email method makes everything pretty convenient; I expected that I’d be aggressively “fellowshipped” by my home and visiting teachers regardless, but aside from worrying since I hadn’t heard from them for 2 months it was a fairly painless process :slight_smile:

I apologize for making another “LDS” thread, but the relief from knowing that I am no longer a part of the LDS church is overwhelming. It’s brought so much peace knowing that I can say my heart and soul belongs to God’s One True Church 100%.

So… Does anyone have any pointers on how to break the news to my VERY LDS family? At the moment I’ve just been quiet about it because I don’t want to make waves, but they very often make remarks regarding wanting me to become an active LDS church member again and I feel like I’m telling a lie of omission and giving them false hope when I don’t say anything. :blush:
Witnessing to the whole world about God’s Church is a lot easier when it’s not your family you’re having to witness to! Lol!

You don’t have to if you don’t want to. Sooner or later it will come up, and then you can do your explaining. I am sure the gossip-mongers will inform them. :shrug:

Congrats…and sympathies. I know it is not easy. I wish the best for you. I have found honesty is the best way to handle this.

Why couldn’t you just leave and just join a Catholic Church?

SpeSalvi;
Congrats on getting this finalized and behind you WHEW!

My 2c
Please be a carpenter (measure twice) before discussing with your family.
They deserve to her from you on this all important issue.
Focus on what you’ve gained from your Catholic faith, not the faults of their faith. Don’t burn bridges with your words.
You will evangelize them over the coming months and years by your actions.

God be with you!

Prayers for your courage, and that you will find a way to inform your family.
It is difficult to cushion family from a major decision, but may God grant you all peace.

I’d like to offer some encouragement that you were never truly part of the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS. There is only one church of Christ - the one you are now part of :smiley: - and no piece of paper in Utah could ever change that.

Baptism marks you very soul, and forever makes you a tiny part of Christ!

As for speaking to your family, you just have to be polite, but firm. Say that you thought this through, and that you have an obligation to God before all, and that this is where he brought you. You can offer to answer questions, but if they try to convert you back, it would be better to just end discussion than to let it get disrespectful.

It can cause pain, but unfortunately we live in a broken world. Be respectful, and do the best you can!

I am happy for you to have that issue taken care of. Now, it is time to take care of the issue of informing your family and friends. It will be a big weight off your shoulders.
Good luck and God Bless.

Don’t fight, ever. Not one single harsh word to anyone. Let Christ’s peace come over you. Refuse to argue.

Christ can work in that peace, and eventually they will all be converted, but it will be because you brought peace.

-Tim-

Try to frame your response to your family as you were lead by Christ to the Church. Not that you are rejecting them or LDS as a community, but that you had to follow His call to the fullness of Christ you could only find in the Church.

Make your journey a positive road rather than a negative abandonment.

=SpeSalvi;9309573]I posted in a thread recently about the stress of being bounced around by the records and local leaders in the LDS church when trying to have my records removed, and I figured I’d post an update: They were finally removed!

I used the new email format found on exmormon.org/remove.htm and basically kept to the script provided. About a week after, I got a letter saying that it was a local matter and that my request was being forwarded to the local stake president and bishop. I went ahead and sent them both fairly cordial letters stating that I looked forward to getting this taken care of as soon as possible, and never heard back, although my visiting and home teachers definitely got a lot more active in trying to contact me.
Last week, I got my official letter stating that my records had been removed, so all in all it was a little over 2 months from start to finish in the whole process.

The new email method makes everything pretty convenient; I expected that I’d be aggressively “fellowshipped” by my home and visiting teachers regardless, but aside from worrying since I hadn’t heard from them for 2 months it was a fairly painless process :slight_smile:

I apologize for making another “LDS” thread, but the relief from knowing that I am no longer a part of the LDS church is overwhelming. It’s brought so much peace knowing that I can say my heart and soul belongs to God’s One True Church 100%.

So… Does anyone have any pointers on how to break the news to my VERY LDS family? At the moment I’ve just been quiet about it because I don’t want to make waves, but they very often make remarks regarding wanting me to become an active LDS church member again and I feel like I’m telling a lie of omission and giving them false hope when I don’t say anything. :blush:
Witnessing to the whole world about God’s Church is a lot easier when it’s not your family you’re having to witness to! Lol!

Welcome HOME friend!:thumbsup:

pat/PJM

JL: When I was still Protestant and learning about the Catholic Church on my own I didn’t tell anyone. Once I made my decision I informed my relatives. I was supprised at how well they took it. Welcome home.

Just tell your family “I respect your beliefs and I hope you’ll respect mine”.

Never argue. Just keep repeating the above.

And remind them of the 11th Article of Faith:

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

Best of luck and welcome home,
Paul (formerly LDS, now happily Catholic)

After helping with the RCIA for 15 years in Utah I would say tell them. I have seen lots of pain in this but in the end nobody has disowned anybody. I might speak about Confession if you understand it well. That when you lie it’s not right, maybe apologize for not telling them sooner. Who knows…you may have found support through the whole process. Maybe someone needed to know …who knows. We once had an LDS Aunt call her niece who was going through the RCIA. She said that she herself became Catholic the year before and that she was the first to know. She was shocked to hear this. The Aunt could have been her sponsor. What I am saying is be as honest as you can even when it hurts and let God take care of the rest with both the Joy and the suffering included.

In Christ
Rich
www.givethecross.com

Sorry for not replying sooner- My Husband and I were blessed to bring our 3rd child into the world on Friday. Lots of exciting things happening in our lives right now!

My family is aware that I’ve joined the Catholic Church; I informed them of my choice about 2 weeks before I was baptized. They don’t acknowledge it, though, and are constantly trying to get me to be “active” in the LDS church again. I feel a responsibility to tell them that I removed my records to make sure they’re not keeping false hope that I’ll come back to the LDS church, but I still haven’t found a good time to do that. I think I’ll just bring it up next time they say something that obviously carries the assumption that I’m still a member of the LDS church.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and wisdom. I appreciate the support!

Congratulations on you little one…

Spe

Welcome Home! How’s the water - Tiber water, that is! I am jumping for JOY; I’m impressed when the Holy Spirit leads LDS to the true Church! Alleluia! You have arrived at this very important plateau with quite the glorious view but move ahead you must! Stay focused, determined, & tough but to be JOYFUL throughout is great advice from forum readers.

That will drive your LDS family/friends crazy with curiosity when they see the “NEW YOU” :smiley: They don’t have “it” or rather “HIM” in the same way do they?

God’s Richest Blessings to YOU! You must have a special job to do as I’m sure every ex-lds convert does :thumbsup:

Breaking the news to my very LDS family is why I still haven’t taken the effort to have my name removed. While I’m sure the LDS church has official rules about keeping these matters completely confidential, people are still people, and if any of your family is close to Stake authorities, whose to say a little gossip might not slip out? Now that there are some who know you aren’t officially LDS anymore, it’s probably important that you rush to tell your family. Better coming from you than somebody else.

Woo HOOOO Welcome home!

One thing I wish I had done differently is that I wish I had waited until my anger at the LDS church (not the members, mind you, but the lies) had subsided before I told my family. It took them 15 years to talk to me after that. I wish I had been at a point where I could have been more kind about why I left. Or not let them know why… unless they asked. I was very excited to tell them about everything I’d discovered, but I’m sure some bitterness came out anyway.

Praying for you!!! Leave the outcome to God.

Steph

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.