It's official! Pope Francis announces 2015 visit to US

Vatican City, Nov 17, 2014 / 01:11 am (CNA/EWTN News).- Pope Francis on Monday officially announced that he will visit the U.S. in September 2015, including a visit to the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia and New York City.

“I wish to confirm, if God wills it, that in September of 2015 I will go to Philadelphia for the Eighth World Meeting of Families.” he announced at Vatican City’s Synod Hall Nov. 17 during his remarks at an international colloquium on the complementarity of man and woman.

The Philadelphia World Meeting of Families will take place from Sept. 22-27. Even before the Pope’s announcement, the meeting was expected to draw tens of thousands of people. Archbishop Charles J. Chaput of Philadelphia had told a gathering of Catholic bishops last week that a papal visit would likely result in crowds of about 1 million.

catholicnewsagency.com/news/its-official-pope-francis-announces-2015-visit-to-us-32195/

Just heard about this on the local news, the local reporters are already inside the Archdiocese’s pastoral center.

Apparently there will be a news conference today at 11am

6abc.com/religion/pope-francis-announces-2015-visit-to-philadelphia/398127/

The article I posted says New York City, but the Catholic news service says …

Philadelphia only city confirmed so far

twitter.com/CatholicNewsSvc/status/534303208118943744

Sounds good and in Sept too, good season. I hope he stops in NYC I would like to see him and its closer.

I expect to be in Philadelphia, among the Knights of Columbus! :knight2:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

tee

Too bad he won’t come to Chicago, I can’t make it non summer months.

Let’s face it, not even the Pope would want to come to Chicago in February when it’s 20 below zero. :wink:

my family will be there!

Cool! :thumbsup: I know it has been the strong rumor for many months, but it is nice to have the confirmation.

Here’s the announcement on Archbishop Chaput’s Facebook page:

m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154833932570603&id=86608965602&refid=17

FWIW, it had been originally planned by Pope Benedict but then he resigned.

Ah, right. So it’s been rumored for even longer than “many months.” :slight_smile:

This is great news! I would love to buy The Holy Father his first cheese Philly cheese steak.

Not to be a downer, but what I find so troubling about a papal visit is the inevitability of so many anti-Catholic, anti-life “Catholic” politicians who insinuate themselves into photo-ops with the Holy Father. O the hypocrisy. These photos always seem to find their way into campaign commercials, too. I wish there was a way the papal entourage could prevent this.

My guess is that the Vatican already budgeted for the trip/visit. I hear Pope Francis is a money-pincher. May not be too comfortable around Anglophones either. But I could be wrong and he’ll visit Wall Street too. :slight_smile:

:smiley: This is one of those times I wished I lived on the East Coast!

From what I’ve heard from the organizers, he’s also been invited by President Obama and the Archdiocese of Washington to visit there after Philadelphia.

So both New York and DC have invited the Pope to visit after Philly. Since Pope Benedict XVI visited New York and performed mass in Yankee Stadium, my guess is that he will not go to NYC unless he is going to address the UN.

Additionally, from what I understand, if the Pope goes to Washington after the World Meeting, President Obama will most likely not come to Philly. But if the Pope doesn’t go to Washington, then the President and tons of Senators and Congressmen will most likely come to Philly that Friday.

The Secret Service is already planning it both way, assuming the President will attend Friday (if not the whole time to Pope is in Philly).

That could be. I made my comment about Wall Street in light of his many criticisms against capitalism and all that.

Maybe it’s different in different parts of the country, but I have never seen a political campaign that used a picture of the candidate with the Pope.

Being you are from Massachusetts – a heavily Catholic and heavily Decmocratic area – perhaps things are different for your area, though.

A photo is just a photo, though. It might be expecting too much to have the Vatican screen anyone the Pope shakes hands with in order to avoid such possibilities. I think the benefits of a papal visit vastly outweigh the possible negative effect of a few misused political photo-ops.

Let’s remember, the Pope isn’t against capitalism, but unbridled capitalism, which is what many of the third world capitalist countries are.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.