It's official: Pope has not abolished sin, says Vatican

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Vatican felt compelled on Tuesday to deny that Pope Francis had “abolished sin”, after a well-known Italian intellectual wrote that he had effectively done so through his words and gestures.

The singular exchange began on Sunday when Eugenio Scalfari, an atheist who writes opinion pieces for the left-leaning La Repubblica newspaper, published an article titled “Francis’ Revolution: He has abolished sin”.

Scalfari, who held a long private conversation with the pope earlier this year and wrote about it several times, concluded in the complex, treatise-like article that Francis believed sin effectively no longer existed because God’s mercy and forgiveness were “eternal”.

ca.news.yahoo.com/39-official-pope-not-abolished-sin-says-vatican-102908946.html

I laughed at this. I can’t imagine a Catholic thinking the Pope can abolish sin. :whacky:

Ah, good old Eugenio Scalfari, the gift that keeps on giving :rolleyes:

Why is it only Catholics react this way :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
The rest of the world will react :bigyikes:
Will they :hmmm:and then :newidea: and then realise how they have deceived themselves and publicly revealed themselves as :whacky: Doubt it.

It is laughable that the ‘Pope’ would actually do that.

That’s a relief… :smiley:

I think Pope Francis is going to take a bit more flak than his recent predecessors. Proof, to me, that those who do not like the truth feel a greater need now to… uh, make up stories.

God bless,
Ed

You may be amazed at what some folks think passes as being Catholic these days.

^
:nerd: – Well, yes. Since not even GOD has at this point. :doh2:

It’s funny how Francis’ words, run through the crazy straw of the secular media, come out in the headlines as rather different than one would expect.

Then follow the clarifications by the Pope or the Vatican press.

A young relative of mine angrily called her mother a bigot (supposedly a homophobe!) for opposing same sex marriage (or rather as I would put it, maintaining a traditional view of matrimony). The young relative was convinced that Pope Francis agreed with her (and not her mother) on the subject. And so her mother was implied to be a bad Catholic in the bargain!

The media headlines (Washington Post, Reuters) turned Pope Francis’ document Evangelii Gautium (a pastoral message on the “Joy of Evangelization” that called the faithful to personally care for the poor more) into what looked like to some – an anti-Capitialist manifesto. And even when he later stated “I am not a Marxist …” his charity towards some people who were Marxists (but yet good people … though details about that (they were Good Samaritans who loved their neighbors, political views notwithstanding ?? :confused: )were not included.

I love Pope Francis. He seems like a man whose gifts are more from the heart than from the head. Which may be VERY good. But perhaps (quietly, unofficially) he might include our Pope Emeritus (whose intellectual gifts are par excellence and have served the bark of Peter so well) in the editorial loop of what the Vatican itself puts out there.

The final say-so would still be with Francis of course. But per Jesus’ admonition to his apostles:

Matt 10:16

"Behold, I am sending you like sheep in the midst of wolves;

so be shrewd as serpents

and simple as doves.

the Pope Emeritus might bring some shrewdness to the table without disturbing the beautiful simplicity that Pope Francis exemplifies.

Each is a different part of the same body. Though it is de rigueur in the MSM to
consider anything Pope Francis does as somehow a repudiation (too strong a word here? :hmmm:) of Pope Benedict. When upon closer examination the differences are more in how the same truths are expressed by two different witnesses of Christ.

I could be wrong. These seeming “missteps” of Francis do have people talking about some very “critical to our salvation” issues - whereas often Popes have their messages ignored by the press in favor of the controversy du jour. So perhaps Francis is more shrewd than I know.

Meanwhile it’s good for us to remember how each word can be of great importance when one speaks or writes. For example:

“Love, and do what you will. If you keep silence, do it out of love. If you cry out, do it out of love. If you refrain from punishing, do it out of love.”

― Augustine of Hippo

Without the “Love and …” St. Augustine’s quote reduces to the fanciful and spiritually
anarchistic advice from Occultist Aleister Crowley of simply “Do What Thou Wilt”.

So, a little “misunderstanding” here and there can portray a Pope using Peter’s keys to
open what should be shut and shut what should be open? That is about what a Pope “abolishing sin” would seem to mean. No more commandments? No more covenant to keep? :bigyikes: :nope:

And yet, a well publicized rumor to this effect might have some dim and gullible folk trying out all the (now supposedly allowed) sins they’d “deprived themselves of.”

So I suppose as absurd as this announcement may seem (in restating the painfully obvious truth it does) :takeoff: – out of love for the silliest sheep the Shepherd must be clear about the truth of it. :signofcross:

It would be pretty cool if he did officially abolish sin though.

Are you kidding? :eek:

Whew! That’s a load off my mind.

Now I don’t have to worry about sinning anymore. PARTY TIME! :rolleyes:

No. It really wouldn’t be.

Well, since the thread seems to have gone all serious now, it is fair to point out that sin has been abolished in heaven.
And if that aint way cool, I don’t know what is.:slight_smile:

But the pope didn’t do it.

:slight_smile:
The end is near though. This is an end times scenario where sin will be abolished.
He has just spoken too soon, if he had spoken at all.
Which he didn’t either.

:confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.