It's official

I was accepted to go to Africa this fall.......

I'm speechless.

Congratulations :)

Congratulations! It will be a fun experience. A girl I know did Kenya and a few other African countries for a study and mission trip. The experience will be worth the price of admission. The girl is a changed woman since she went. She is two years younger than me and around your age. It will change your spirituality as it did for her.

[quote="sanctamaria17, post:1, topic:191564"]
I was accepted to go to Africa this fall.......

I'm speechless.

[/quote]

Congrats! Where in Africa are you headed? I'm probably going to be in South Africa for a business school trip in August. Going to be my very first time in Africa. I'm very excited about it! My parents, on the other hand, aren't too thrilled.

How exciting! Africa is great, although I wonder where in Africa? You see I come from the extreme southern part of Africa, so this is a little more than idle curiosity. :wink:

Not to derail Sanctamaria’s thread, but BadTurkey, please reassure your parents, South Africa is a wonderful place. And I wonder where in South Africa you’ll be headed? :wink:

[quote="VivienneJ, post:5, topic:191564"]
Not to derail Sanctamaria's thread, but BadTurkey, please reassure your parents, South Africa is a wonderful place. And I wonder where in South Africa you'll be headed? ;)

[/quote]

I'll be going to Johannesburg and Cape Town. Plus a safari trip to Kruger National Park!

I also have the option of going to other exotic places like Iceland, Norway, Thailand, Peru, etc., so I'm going to have a hard time choosing!

I will be in Nairobi, Kenya.

Congratulations, be careful, trust God.

[quote="sanctamaria17, post:7, topic:191564"]

[/quote]

What are you going to be doing there? Missionary work?

Study.

If you don’t mind me asking, why are you going to college in Kenya?

You will be in my prayers!!

Many prayers for you!!!! Congratulations! :)

[quote="BadTurkey, post:6, topic:191564"]
I'll be going to Johannesburg and Cape Town. Plus a safari trip to Kruger National Park!

I also have the option of going to other exotic places like Iceland, Norway, Thailand, Peru, etc., so I'm going to have a hard time choosing!

[/quote]

Johburg and Cape Town, great cities and Kruger Park is awesome. I'd choose Thailand, but then I know South Africa ;)

[quote="sanctamaria17, post:7, topic:191564"]

[/quote]

Prayers for you, sanctamaria. May your time in Kenya be everything you hope and may you enjoy the experience of life in Africa. What will you be studying there that you couldn't have studied elsewhere?

Kenyan culture, Swahili, International Development, plus I have the chance to do field work I otherwise wouldn’t have been able to do in the US. I also will be taking field trips to Mombasa and some of the Kenyan countryside, to study various issues facing different areas. I’m so excited!!!

Thank you all for the encouragement! If I don’t sound as enthusiastic, it’s because I’m speechless. I never thought I’d get an opportunity like this. I think Kenya has been every word out of my mouth the last couple of days. :smiley:

So awesome!!!! Congratulations!!!! :) It sounds like a perfect fit. Hope you can update us on what you are up to once you get there.

How exciting!

I went to University of Cape Town for a semester (to study politics and sociology) and loved it! It was so hard to come back to the US!

Congratulations. Soak up the culture. Wonderful people.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.