'It's On Us' campaign aims to change sexual assault culture

*The “It’s On Us” public awareness and education campaign, which includes social media efforts using the hashtag #ItsOnUs and the help of celebrities and famous athletes, “seeks to engage college students and all members of campus communities in preventing sexual assault in the first place,” according to a White House official fact sheet.

Jeffrey Zients, director of the National Economic Council, said “It’s On Us” is more than a slogan or catchphrase, in a White House blog post Friday morning.

“It’s the whole point,” Zients wrote. “Because in a country where one in five women on college campuses has been sexually assaulted — only 12 percent of which are reported — this is a problem that should be important to every single one of us, and it’s on every single one of us to do something to end the problem.”*

Standard Examiner

From a column by Jonah Goldberg:*Accurate statistics are of limited use in that regard because rape and sexual assault have been declining for decades. So the Obama administration and its allied activist groups trot out the claim that there is a rape epidemic victimizing 1 in 5 women on college campuses. This conveniently horrifying number is a classic example of being too terrible to check. If it were true, it would mean that rape would be more prevalent on elite campuses than in many of the most impoverished and crime-ridden communities.

It comes from tendentious Department of Justice surveys that count “attempted forced kissing” and other potentially caddish acts that even the DOJ admits “are not criminal.”

According to one Department of Justice survey, more than half the respondents said they didn’t report the assault because they didn’t think “the incident was serious enough to report.” More than a third said they weren’t clear on whether the incident was a crime or even if harm was intended. But President Obama uses these surveys to justify using the terms “rape” and “sexual assault” interchangeably.*Now we all agree sexual assault is horrible. So why fudge the stats? For sensationalism? Because there is a campaign to instill in citizens that men are targeting women at every turn? To justify the diatribe “war on women”?

I’m not so sure why you think that they are fudging the stats or trying to sensationalize it.

I could write more, a lot more, but I’ll keep my mouth shut… just like all those other women who have experienced it and did the same.

Oh, so you’re equating you’re lack of posting with a victim being afraid to speak out about something horrible?

Charming.

Charming? How so?

It doesn’t do any good reiterating what one’s experienced, heard, seen, and known in their lifetime to someone who doesn’t want to believe it really is as bad as people say it is.

I think that because the criteria for sexual “assault” is not really assault (since it apparently includes things like unwanted attempts at kissing), coupled with a cultural zeitgeist espoused by those same people who say there is a “war” on women, which includes things like not buying spermicide for them. So exaggerating the numbers would be consistent with that evidence and with that propaganda.

But do tell - do you have evidence 1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted? I’m not interested in being wrong if you think the numbers are accurate.

columbiaspectator.com/opinion/2014/03/10/what-many-men-dont-understand-about-sexual-assault
A really good article that explains a lot.

Just because the act doesn’t fit the criteria for a crime doesn’t mean it is or should be socially acceptable or moral behavior. In order to be eligible for a protection order in my state it must fit very specific criteria and the act must be physical or sexual abuse, terroristic threats or interference with a 911 call. That leaves a lot of room for other types of abuse. Most of them are not crimes. Does that make those actions okay?

You are minimizing “unwanted attempts at kissing.” I suppose a guy leaning in trying to kiss a girl that is inexperienced or chaste could feel like an assault. I wouldn’t consider it an assault unless he was persistent or forceful and I’ve indicated I’m not interested or didn’t have time to. Is there something wrong about identifying unwanted attempts at kissing as wrong? Does it need to be a crime to be wrong?

I am not sure why anyone would be opposed to this new initiative. Campus sexual assault is a problem. It doesn’t matter whether 2% or 20% of women will experience during their college years: either figure is too much.

Sometimes it is best to put political bickering to rest. I think this is one of those issues.

If someone tried to force me to kiss them I would view it as sexual assault. At the very least I would feel very uncomfortable about it. Imagine walking up to a woman on the street and trying to force a kiss, isn’t that a clear case of assault? Is it less bad if you kinda sorta know the person that’s forcing the kiss? It’s not black or white, it’s a matter of degree but it is still sexual assault.

I think part of the problem may be that the issue is clouded by a variety of terms. This article gives another point of view, which is flawed by that very confusion.

But most of all, wht seems to be happening is a direct outgrowth of the sexual revolution and the propaganda surrounding it. They are calling it a “rape culture,” but how is that separate from the ideas proposed after the advent of the Pill that women were as interested as men? That everyone was just so happy to be doing this sort of thing as much as possible? The hook-up culture? Friends with benefits?

It all completely ignores actual human psychology. These people have tried to set up an society based on a complete lie, and it’s not working!

If it hadn’t been so sad, I could have laughed at the irony of the suggestion that people should get a written agreement beforehand. We used to have that: it was called a marriage license.

Look at the incredible amount of trouble caused by divorce and re-something (re-marriage, conhabitation, etc), --the vast majority of statistics saying girls are assaulted by “fathers or father-figures” relate to “father-figures:” step-fathers, mothers’ boyfriends.

Are these people ever going to wake up and realize they are not smarter than all the people of all the generations who preceeded them and put protections into place from predation? Because that is the only cure for these ills so many are suffering.

Well the problem with this is that when you remove the rhetoric, there really isn’t much there that isn’t ambiguous as to what you should actually be doing. I think I read, “Never blame the victim.” which I think we all agree with, but blaming the victim is really something that happens after the crime, so whether one blames the victim or not doesn’t really stop anything is more about damage control than prevention.

If you want no-nonsense about preventing rape, see Marc MacYoung’s No-nonsense self-defense hub on rape.

The It’s On Us campaign sounds like the usual progressives making a bunch of noise that at best will signify nothing and at worst, turn your campus into a PC ghetto if it hasn’t been turned into that already.

I can appreciate that there are testimonials of complex situations of rape or some violation, but I was looking for some backup data for the 1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted. One would think a huge number of men would have to be sexual predators if even only a fraction of them account for all the victims.

during a woman’s entire lifetime I certainly believe this statistic.

Agreed, but the spokesman made an explicit assertion. If it’s just bad behavior they are after, why the specious statistic?

Perhaps my point is not clear. If 20% of women have been victims of sexual assault or rape, as even the President claimed, then there must be a sizeable pool of male predators. By fudging the numbers so severely, the consequence is to paint a much larger percentage of men as predators, even if only a fraction of the 20% of victims are committed by the same predators.

My question would be why would anyone be opposed to getting the numbers right while also taking the issue seriously? You don’t need to make gross exaggerations about males in order to get people to take sexual assault seriously.

More in next post…

I believe that is assault. What kind of odd man would attempt to force a woman to kiss them?

Have you ever looked into the men’s rights movement? Maybe you would be interested in some of the ideas they have. :shrug:

They tend to be very concerned about any characterization of men as predators and take umbrage at campaigns aimed at reducing sexual assault and rape.

A cad and a jerk that deserves a slap in the face or even a knee in the groin. But it doesn’t warrant giant campaign of celebrities spouting off a bunch of progressive platitudes.

In this 5 minute video, Prof. Christine Hoff Sommers addresses some of the criteria and questions used to inflate the statistics to show 1 in 5 women are victims of rape.

In this Washington Examiner article by Ms. Ashe Schow, she likewise debunks the college campus 1 in 5 claim. She cites a different study by the Bureau of Justice, which determined 1.3 per 1000 rapes per adult. If we assumed most of those were women, and we also included the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network’s estimate that 60% of assaults go unreported, we are somewhere closer to 2%. The coincides closer with the percentage of sexual perpetrators in other criminal data or surveys.

In getting the statistic right, we can all still be outraged by 2% and we can be satisfied with honesty, and not create a fictitious epidemic of predatorial behavior among men. Why can’t we be both outraged and honest?

Rolling Stone loses faith in UVA rape story
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.