It's sooo true, I get frustrated!

I know you’ve guys heard me blabbering my mouth off about how I realized the CC is the TRUE Church and all that.:wink:

Over the weekend, I went to my parent’s house and had dinner with them and I have no clue how religion got brought up…no wait…yeah I remember…I told my parents about my “spiritual breakdown” earlier in the week and they told me to just “think about it” - they’re not Catholic either - and they asked me how I was doing with it and told them that with the Grace of Christ, He brought me back to His Church and I told them how the priest at the parish I attend was talking about how the CC IS the TRUE Church and how the preist said that “other religions have a lot of truth but the CC has the fullness of Truth…and we need to respect people that are outside the Catholic faith…” and my parents said, “well, that’s his opinion.” THIS ISN’T ABOUT OPINIONS! I wanted to say! It’s about TRUTH!

Now this is where I get soooo frustrated! I get frustrated that I know 100% that the CC is the TRUE Church Christ established and whenever I tell a non-Catholic that, they just think it’s oh, another denomination or this and that. Don’t get me wrong though; I respect their beliefs and their relgion and all but still, no matter what you tell non-Catholics, no matter if I put on EWTN and watched it for the next 300 years in a row with them, THEY WONT GET IT!

Does anyone understand? I mean, it’s kinda like when you’re telling the truth of something yet no one believes you and you’re frustrated that they don’t believe you! It’s like that! No, it’s not that I’m converting anyone or anything but they just don’t get it.

But then again, they’ll say that I don’t get it to just drop it and shut up about it and it’s a freedom of religion.

That’s fine if it’s a freedom of religion and all but that’s like saying that Catholicism is just another belief just like any other religion. NO! We ALL KNOW that’s not the case!

[quote=Paris Blues]I know you’ve guys heard me blabbering my mouth off about how I realized the CC is the TRUE Church and all that.:wink:

Over the weekend, I went to my parent’s house and had dinner with them and I have no clue how religion got brought up…no wait…yeah I remember…I told my parents about my “spiritual breakdown” earlier in the week and they told me to just “think about it” - they’re not Catholic either - and they asked me how I was doing with it and told them that with the Grace of Christ, He brought me back to His Church and I told them how the priest at the parish I attend was talking about how the CC IS the TRUE Church and how the preist said that “other religions have a lot of truth but the CC has the fullness of Truth…and we need to respect people that are outside the Catholic faith…” and my parents said, “well, that’s his opinion.” THIS ISN’T ABOUT OPINIONS! I wanted to say! It’s about TRUTH!

Now this is where I get soooo frustrated! I get frustrated that I know 100% that the CC is the TRUE Church Christ established and whenever I tell a non-Catholic that, they just think it’s oh, another denomination or this and that. Don’t get me wrong though; I respect their beliefs and their relgion and all but still, no matter what you tell non-Catholics, no matter if I put on EWTN and watched it for the next 300 years in a row with them, THEY WONT GET IT!

Does anyone understand? I mean, it’s kinda like when you’re telling the truth of something yet no one believes you and you’re frustrated that they don’t believe you! It’s like that! No, it’s not that I’m converting anyone or anything but they just don’t get it.

But then again, they’ll say that I don’t get it to just drop it and shut up about it and it’s a freedom of religion.

That’s fine if it’s a freedom of religion and all but that’s like saying that Catholicism is just another belief just like any other religion. NO! We ALL KNOW that’s not the case!
[/quote]

I think a lot of us go through this very same frustration. :wink:

I know exactly what you mean, Paris. I have Catholic friends that I grew up with that don’t realize the whole truth. You just gotta pray that they’ll reach their own moment when the lightbulb goes on in their head just like it did in yours or mine. I think a lot of Catholics don’t understand all of what the church is, unfortunately.

I sympathize. I have many conversation with non-Cthaolics about our beliefs. I have come to realize that ofetn it is not that some people do not understand it is just that they do not want to understand or at least admit to understanding. This is especially the case in situation where basic aspects of their faith is founded on doctrines that oppose the Catholic view for the sake of it. All you can do is pray that one day that they become more honest with regard to their knowledge of the truth. To understand will be almost like giving in to Catholicism. Archbishop Fulton Sheen said something along the lines that the truth is easy to find, it is hard to believe even harder still to follow it. With aspects of faith it can be hard to let go of your beliefs.

''Learning is about more than simply acquiring new knowledge and insights; it is also crucial to unlearn old knowledge that has outlived its relevance. Thus, forgetting is probably at least as important as learning."
Gary Ryan Blair

Have you ever heard of the curse of Cassandra? In Greek mythology, Cassandra was condemned to speak the truth and have no one believe her.

Maybe you can change your internet name to Cassandra Blues!

[font=Verdana]imagine what J must have felt like; notice His sadness when the young rich man walked away and His lament over the city that wouldn’t let Him be like a mother hen. but He let those choices be made by those folks.

ros moss has noted its more shocking to her that she’s been given the gift of faith when so many others go without.

remember, it is the Spirit working in us that gives us our faith, not us working in the spirit. it will be the Spirit working in others that will give them faith. we can plant seeds, but Daddy will send the rain and sunshine they need to grow. and some seeds will not make it, don’t worry…God’s willing (though not happily) to accept that, you should too. do what you can, then a bit more, but don’t expect to accomplish what only God can. remember J said to ask Daddy for laborers for the harvest. not incredibly successful producers, but laborers.
[/font]

I get frustrated, too, when I tell my non-Catholic friends that the Catholic Church is the true chuch of Christ. They kinda just look at me blankly. And yes, it is pretty sad, because a lot of my friends have just recently (in the past couple of years) come to know and learn about Jesus Christ, yet they go to a non-denominational Christian church that teaches the “faith-alone” idea of Christianity. *“Christianity-lite” * I sometimes refer to it in my head.

I pray for my friends constantly that the Holy Spirit will someday move them to seek out the Truth. :frowning:

Paris,

I’ve encountered the same thing of not understanding that the CC is the Fullness of the Truth within my own family. I was raised Catholic but of the 6 kids, I’m the only one who currently practices the faith. Two of my brothers have married Catholics and my one sister-in-law, who has at least raised their 3 kids to receive their sacraments, got really offended when I was talking about Catholicism being the “Fullness” of the Truth. She was also offended when I spoke excitedly about the potential of a Protestant friend of hers coming into the Catholic Church because of her interest in the Rosary. She’s convinced that all paths to God are equal in their value.

Frustrated? Yup. But then I remember, as stated above, that it’s up to the Holy Spirit to bring us to a full understanding of Christ and His Church. So I try to remember that it’s up to me to pray for my family and do my best to live the example of a good Catholic life.

CARose

Me too little sister…me too. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Just remember this though:

Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s laughter and dancing and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!

It’s the plague of Liberalism–reducing God to a matter of personal opinion. It’s the great heresy of our time.:frowning:

It is about complacency. Many people turn a deaf ear because if they listened, then they would have to question their own beliefs, and if they did that, they might have to change. It is far easier to turn a deaf ear and feel smug about what we have always done. Thinking about change and then changing require too much effort for many people. Pray for them and let the Holy Spirit take it from there.

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.”

Don’t feel bad Paris, my parents are the same way. And my dad is an ex-catholic which makes thing even more fun :stuck_out_tongue: . It has gotten to the point where I don’t even talk about religion with them. My mom almost disowned me when she found out I was converting, we didn’t speak for a little while and she said some really nasty things, told me I had know family and hung up the phone. Then when our last baby was getting baptized she pulled the same thing and said she couldn’t attend the baptism because she wanted the baby baptized in IL where the rest of the kids were baptized and that if baptism was universal then it shouldn’t matter where we had it done. My favorite one is when she gets mad because the kids can’t spend the night due to Mass on Sunday. Not like there isn’t 6 other days of the week. Oh I definitly share your frustration. But it is worth it in a big way.

Two problems:

True or not, many people think doctors and therapists want to help their patients get better and be done. They think the religious people want to hook them in and keep them forever.

That may be exactly true (or not, I suppose) but anyway that idea I think keeps people wary.

You have to admit that objectively, in terms of two humans trying to convince each other about religious “truth” when they disagree (inside or outside the Church for that matter) then neither of them can claim to be unbiased. Each can claim to be using the rules of logic as they see them. If the are each trying to convince the other of something that only faith can tell them, than they can try, but they cannot succeed without the help of the Holy Spirit. We can explain, demonstrate, invite, serve, heal, feed, clothe, visit the jail, and everything like that and if that doesn’t convince somebody more than words alone, than it must not be their time yet. It is not ours to change them, but ours to influence them in as Christlike a manner as we know how.

Alan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.