I've been born again to a living hope through Jesus Christ. I have an inheritance in heaven that is imperishable. By God's power, it is being guarded through faith.

Would anyone care to critique this? Do you have any serious problems with anything contained in the title? Why or why not?

Once saved, always saved? I won’t do it myself, but you can expect a whole lot of critique coming at you pretty fast. Expect much of it to have Scriptural evidence. At least you have advance warning…

No critique, but much joy! It seems that you have come to know the faith of Peter, the Prince of the Apostles, the Rock upon which our Church was built by Christ, the first Pope. Welcome to the faith!

Faith alone will not get you into Heaven…St. Paul has said this so many times. Do you read the Bible?

mmm - that is wonderful. What could make it better is an encounter with Christ truly, really and substantially present in the Eucharist. Since you acknowledge the truth of Scripture, some reading for you on the Eucharist:

scripturecatholic.com/the_eucharist.html

In my humble opinion, the second sentence should read “I have an inheritance in heaven that is imperishable, provided I don’t reject it.”

I am otherwise thrilled for you!

AMEN!

Isn’t God’s grace and love amazing? To know that we have a home in heaven that Jesus has prepared for us is almost to much to comprehend isn’t it?

I am definately no apologist, but I feel that I need to comment on this…

I thank God every day that He brought me back home to the Catholic church. I was attending a protestant church for about 6 years. I am so much more deeper in love with Jesus now than I was before. There is no church like the Catholic church.

God is present everywhere, just more so in some places. It is a wonderful feeling to know that I am following the teachings of the Church, that have been handed down all the way from Jesus to Peter (the first Pope) to us today. To me, protestant religions just skim the surface of what God wants to give to us, and what he wants us to know about Him. I could go on and on trying to explain. I’m sorry that I don’t have better words to describe the way I feel.

**I challenge you to look up and read some books by Scott Hahn, a protestant minister who converted to Catholicism and set in motion a tidal wave of conversions. You can also obtain a FREE audio CD of his conversion story at www.catholicity.com. **

God Bless you!

Well, mmmcounts, I’ll bet it surprises you to find out that many Catholics believe the same thing.

Now what?

In reality- not my opinion- the entirety of the verse says this:

"an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

I am otherwise thrilled for you!

Thanks.

Nah, it’s just cultural stuff. Catholics and Protestants talk about their faith in different ways, and we’re a little hesitant to just say, “oh yeah, we know what you mean and agree,” because sometimes we don’t.
[LIST]*]If what you mean is that nothing can destroy the glories awaiting those who keep a saving faith in Christ, then you and I (and the Catholic Church) have no qualms. If what you mean is that there’s no possible way for you to lose your faith once you have it, then we disagree, and I’d point to 2 Peter 2 for the Catholic position.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
*]There are possibly differences in what you mean by “born again” - is it Baptism by water and the Spirit? Or is it a vague “I accept Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior into my heart?” If it’s the latter, I’d point out that Paul had that sort of experience, and still needed Baptism to wash away his sins, as Acts 22:16 makes pretty clear.
[/LIST]
[LIST]There may also be some questions implicit in this on the how: do you maintain your initial justification through Faith, or through faith in connection with loving obedience to God? I’d cite 1 Cor. 13:2 and James 2:24 as proof that faith without loving obedience to God is worthless.[/LIST]

One, read the first link in my signature. Two, I’m a Protestant, so your question is silly and just a little condescending. Three, can you explain this joke for me?

“If you have a Bible, turn with me to John 19. If you don’t have a Bible you’re probably a cradle Catholic (laughter) Sorry, one of those convert jokes; shame on me! (laughter)”

Scott Hahn in an address written up in one of those “Fourth Cup” articles. The link:
webpages.marshall.edu/~trimbol3/4thcup4.htm

Can you explain to me why this is funny? Also, did that make you laugh, too?

Sure. Many of us use missals in Mass (they have the day’s readings printed, which makes it pretty easy to follow along with the rest of congregation), and there’s an unfortunate tendency within Catholic culture to under-emphasize Bible reading. Before you cast judgment upon Catholics for it, I’d point out that lots of people who didn’t read the Bible (or barely read it) were faithful Christians. Irenaeus discusses the faithful but illiterate masses in Against Heresies, Book III, Chapter 4, section 2: ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.ix.iv.v.html is a Calvinist site carrying the text. The book is from the second century, and in it, Iraneus says, “The truth is to be found nowhere else but in the Catholic Church, the sole depository of apostolical doctrine. Heresies are of recent formation, and cannot trace their origin up to the apostles.” He then explains how even the illiterate are well aware of what is and isn’t authentic and orthodox doctrine, even though they can’t read the Bible.

Do you have any serious problems with anything contained in the title?

Hmm well lets see:

I’ve been born again to a living hope through Jesus Christ. I have an inheritance in heaven that is imperishable. By God’s power, it is being guarded through faith.

You made proper use of compounding ‘I’ and 'have" with an apostrophe creating ‘I’ve’. You correctly wrote it “an inheritance” and not, “a inheritance”. You were spot on with the possessive apostrophe of “God’s”. Kudos to you. Although I am not sure a comma was needed after ‘power’ in your last sentence and you failed to utilize a compound with ‘it is’ by not writing ‘it’s’. Then again the English language isn’t an exact science. Everything that should be capitalized is and you have proper punctuation marks (other than perhaps the comma we already talked about). Last but not least everything appears to be spelled correctly.

A+ mmmcounts

God bless you :thumbsup:

Funny but the Catholics are the ones who understand the bible better than you do, our church also talks about the bible more than a Protestant church.

Great! Fantastic news! Now work out that salvation like St. Paul! Don’t sit on your haunches only to find that the faith you thought would save you has withered and become dead.

Peace,
Robert

Hi, :slight_smile: well the only thing I could say is that in James 2 it says “faith without works is dead” so a real faith is one that is lived out. A faith that is not lived out would be dead and so can’t save us.

So in Catholic doctrine, it’s not just about having faith, but about having a living faith (ie: one that is lived out in good works, out of love for God), and we don’t believe in “once saved always saved” but that we need to cooperate with God’s grace.

Other than that, I agree with the statement! :slight_smile: and that is awesome that we have this living hope through Jesus Christ and an imperishable inheritance in Heaven!!

God bless you!

you only have an eternal inheritance w/ Christ if you do waht he says… all of it…

or at least try.

Jesus said that it is not easy getting into Heaven…

A big +1 to this statement. I feared that perhaps the original poster was posting St. Peter’s words from his first Epistle in order to get Catholics to disagree with them. Then the original poster could say, “Aha! You guys don’t even agree with what the guy you claim was the first Pope wrote in 1 Peter.” But of course we agree with it, as long as it’s not used to support a sola fide type salvation theory. It’s a good thing we know how to read it in light of the rest of scripture, including James. Great answers, here.

I’ve seen Dr. Hahn speak at several Catholic conferences and the joke goes like this:

“Now please open your Bible. And if you don’t have a Bible with you, just look on with the Protestant sitting next to you.”

Yes, I and the other Catholics in the room laughed, because it is an all-too familiar caricature of Catholics. And we can laugh at ourselves.:slight_smile:

Well, it’s all fine and well to say one has faith. However, faith alone is not sufficient for salvation.

I have personally known a number of individuals over the years who have made that same proud boast as you, yet continued to live immoral lifestyles! So while anyone can say he has “faith,” and can claim to be “saved,” that doesn’t necessarily make it so.

Fact is, if we truly hope to be saved, we must keep the commandments - that’s the purpose of grace! Grace assists us in keeping the commandments, and in so doing we may *hope *to be saved.

But don’t take my word for it. Listen for instance, to St. Augustine, an approved Doctor of the Church, and one who, quite frankly, has considerably more authority than all “Evangelical Protestants” put together.

Let us then, abide in his words, that we may not be confounded when he comes. For he himself says in the gospel to those why have believed in him, “If you abide in my word, you will be my disciples indeed.” And as if they said, “With what fruit?” he says, “and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.”

For now our salvation lies in hope, not yet in realty, for we *do not now hold what has been promised *and are hoping that it will come. But, “he is faithful who has promised.” He does not deceive you. Only, you, do not faint, but wait for the promise. For truth does not know how to deceive. You, do not be a liar so as to profess one thing, to do another. You, keep the faith, and he keeps the promise. But if you do not keep the faith, you, not he who promised, have cheated yourself.

St. Augustine, Tractate 4:2, On the Gospel of John.

Tractates on the Gospel of John 112-24: Tractates on the First Epistle of John (Fathers of the Church), Catholic University of America Press (1995), ISBN 081320092X 978-0813200927, p. 174.
books.google.com/books?id=SXqxJnS2mnAC&pg=PA174&dq=%22salvation+lies+in+hope+not+yet+in+reality%22&lr=#PPA173,M1

He is going to come as a judge, let us not bear the yoke with unbelievers. He is also going to resuscitate the corpses of the dead; let us deserve this transfiguration of the body by a transformation of our minds. He is going to set the bad on his left, the good on his right; LET US CHOOSE OUR PLACE WITH GOOD WORKS.

• Sermon 229D: 1. “On the Holy Day of Easter.” P. 278.

But if you want to attain to a life that is everlasting and blissful, have a temporal life that is good.” It’s good in its work, it’ll be good in its reward. But if you refuse to do the work, how can you have the face to seek the reward? If you can’t say to Christ, “I have done what you commanded,” how will you have the nerve to say, “Pay me what you promised”?

Sermon 229H: 3:5, p. 298.

The works of Saint Augustine, Sermons 184-229Z, Edmund Hill, John E. Rotelle, New City Press, 1993, pt. 3, v. 6, ISBN-10: 1565480503 ISBN-13: 978-1565480506, p. 298.

books.google.com/books?as_q=&num=10&lr=&client=firefox&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=but+if+you+refuse+to+do+the+work&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_brr=0&as_pt=ALLTYPES&lr=&as_vt=&as_auth=&as_pub=&as_sub=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=&as_isbn=&as_issn=

However, should you still prefer the “Reformers” teaching to all the approved Doctors of the Church, then you owe it to yourself to at least have some inkling of the the kind of teachers whom you have chosen to follow (and btw, once you have been made aware of this information, you have a moral obligation to share it with others before you start criticizing the Catholic Church!).

What greater encouragement besides, could have been given to them than Luther’s opinion, expressed as early as 1520, that the Christian could commit as many sins as he liked, could not lose his salvation, so long as he was not without faith, 1121 etc.? Was it not the right gospel and glad tidings to those godless souls, when they heard from the lips of the father of the “Evangelical Reformation” that sin does not separate from God? If “you acknowledge the Lamb, which beareth the sins of the world, sin cannot tear you away from Him, even though you do whorishness a thousand times a day, or deal as many death-blows.” “One must sin as long as we are in this existence. This life is not the dwelling place of justice.” 1122

A complacent trust in the forgiveness of sin through Christ does everything! No wonder his former superior could write to him in the year 1522:

“Your case is continually spoken of and extolled by those who frequent the whore-houses.” 1123

1. Weimar, VI, p. 529.
  2. See above, p. 19, and Enders III, 208, this saying of Luther’s of the year 1521.
  3. Luther himself in his reply refers this saying to Staupitz: “Quod tu scribis, mea jactari ab iis qui lupanaria colunt,” etc. Enders III, 406. (27 June, 1522).
    books.google.com/books?id=r2UExT_8wmAC&pg=PA406&dq=%22Quod+tu+scribis+mea+jactari+ab+iis%22&lr=&client=firefox

Luther and Lutherdom, Heinrich Denifle, p. 365.
img5.imageshack.us/img5/2479/deniflepp362363.jpg
img29.imageshack.us/img29/1194/deniflepp364365.jpg

(I’m posting the above strictly for informational purposes, so please, don’t anyone take this personally).

God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.