I've been "exploring" the Catholic faith for about 11 months now

I am 26. I am married to a diligent, loving, responsible man; who doesn’t refuse to go to church, but works most (every) Sunday. We have 4 children. I was introduced to the Catholic faith by the works of several Catholic women briefly, across most of my lifetime (5th grade, 6th grade, one of my doctors was a Catholic woman who had a profound impact on my life most recently (last 5 years) ((after I was a Baptized Christian but was living in sin))). I have begun saying the Rosary just during the last week, I do not have nor do I know where to obtain the proper Rosary beads. I have thought about making one. For now I have an app on my phone I use. As a child I was raised Methodist, by my grandparents. The similarities are very comfortable, but I tend to appreciate the Catholic faith’s attention to observing Christ’s teachings and the detail. I do understand the Catholic faith will be very different from my brief Methodist upbringing, or my attending of a small, non-denominational church currently. My (adopted) parents go to a non-denominational church, but consider themselves Baptists, I do not believe this will go over well with them. My husband doesn’t like “BIG” churches, so I would probably end up going to Mass and other functions alone, or with our children, unless he relented. Do I keep my love, respect and curiosity about the Catholic faith hidden in my heart and head, or do I convert? I do not seek to cause a rift in my family, I just got back in touch with my (adopted) parents after almost 10 years of no communication whatsoever, so that would hurt me and them I’m sure. When I started studying and researching the Catholic faith almost over a year ago, I figured it was JUST curiosity, and I would stop thinking about it. I cannot stop thinking about it, I feel as if I’ve fallen in love. Since saying the Rosary, I’ve noticed several changes in my life. 1. Prayers are answered, seemingly before I ask. 2. My mind is clearer (I am a student, Junior in college). 3. My spouse and I had been arguing quite a bit, that has stopped. (Don’t worry, I’m sure it will happen again.) If I make the choice, which I feel I will, eventually, I don’t want to cause any grief to whatever local Catholic church I go to, I have several questions. Questions: What do I wear, what do and what do I not participate in, (I am not Catholic currently, I am born-again though, and was Baptized shortly after confessing my salvation.) Interestingly enough, I like “rules”, but I really don’t like offending people. If this isn’t the right place to post this I apologize. help? (I feel the need to “congratulate”/and urge you (Catholic’s) because of the fact that it was simply the actions, lives, and “love” of these women, who were Catholic, towards me and my children, that have caused me to seek out more information about the Catholic faith. People are watching you.:thumbsup:)

Welcome to CAF and to the journey. :wave: Many of us here are converts so we can relate to what you’re going through. We’ve found that we don’t need to force anything. As we follow God’s lead doors seem to open directing us and helping us. As you pray and do what you believe God wants you to do, I imagine you’ll find it the same.

I have begun saying the Rosary just during the last week, I do not have nor do I know where to obtain the proper Rosary beads. I have thought about making one. For now I have an app on my phone I use.

If you enter the word rosary in Google, many websites will appear from which you can order them or learn how to make them. The simplest one you can make is a series of knots in a string to keep track of the decades. You can also use your fingers, if you have nothing else.

As a child I was raised Methodist, by my grandparents. The similarities are very comfortable, but I tend to appreciate the Catholic faith’s attention to observing Christ’s teachings and the detail. I do understand the Catholic faith will be very different from my brief Methodist upbringing, or my attending of a small, non-denominational church currently. My (adopted) parents go to a non-denominational church, but consider themselves Baptists, I do not believe this will go over well with them. My husband doesn’t like “BIG” churches, so I would probably end up going to Mass and other functions alone, or with our children, unless he relented. Do I keep my love, respect and curiosity about the Catholic faith hidden in my heart and head, or do I convert? I do not seek to cause a rift in my family, I just got back in touch with my (adopted) parents after almost 10 years of no communication whatsoever, so that would hurt me and them I’m sure.

There will be many similarities, and also many differences, but the Mass is pretty simple, really. Most parishes have booklets you can use to follow where you are at or you can just do what everyone else does, except receive communion. As for your adopted parents, as an adult you really don’t have to tell them about your interest in the Catholic faith. Especially if they wouldn’t understand, it might be best to keep it to yourself. As for your husband, he might actually like the Mass. It’s not overly involved or raucous and no one will bother you–expect anything of you. It’s worship, not fellowship, so all you have to do is sit and listen if you wish.

When I started studying and researching the Catholic faith almost over a year ago, I figured it was JUST curiosity, and I would stop thinking about it. I cannot stop thinking about it, I feel as if I’ve fallen in love. Since saying the Rosary, I’ve noticed several changes in my life. 1. Prayers are answered, seemingly before I ask. 2. My mind is clearer (I am a student, Junior in college). 3. My spouse and I had been arguing quite a bit, that has stopped. (Don’t worry, I’m sure it will happen again.) If I make the choice, which I feel I will, eventually, I don’t want to cause any grief to whatever local Catholic church I go to, I have several questions.

God is pouring his grace into your life. That’s wonderful. There will be struggles, too, but having the truth and worshiping God in “spirit and in truth” really does make a difference in our lives. :thumbsup:

Questions: What do I wear, what do and what do I not participate in, (I am not Catholic currently, I am born-again though, and was Baptized shortly after confessing my salvation.) Interestingly enough, I like “rules”, but I really don’t like offending people. If this isn’t the right place to post this I apologize. help?

I usually advise wearing business casual to Sunday Mass, although you will see people dressed in jeans and tee shirts too. The Church welcomes everyone who comes through the door, even if they come under-dressed. It’s more important that they be there. As I wrote above, you can participate in everything at Mass except receiving communion.

(I feel the need to “congratulate”/and urge you (Catholic’s) because of the fact that it was simply the actions, lives, and “love” of these women, who were Catholic, towards me and my children, that have caused me to seek out more information about the Catholic faith. People are watching you.:thumbsup:)

Thank you for the reminder that what we say and do has a real impact on others lives. It’s always good for us to keep that in mind. :yup:

Welcome to the forums. There are usually Masses celebrated on Saturday evenings if you can’t make the Sunday morning service. If u have never been, don’t be afraid to check it out. Just sit and listen. All are welcome to attend the Mass but only a catholic in good standing with God can receive Communion. So, its likely that you wouldn’t be the only one to not receive Communion. Anyway, glad to hear that you are following your heart and doing your research.

Welcome to the forums. There are usually Masses celebrated on Saturday evenings if you can’t make the Sunday morning service. If u have never been, don’t be afraid to check it out. Just sit and listen. All are welcome to attend the Mass but only a catholic in good standing with God can receive Communion. So, its likely that you wouldn’t be the only one to not receive Communion. Anyway, glad to hear that you are following your heart and doing your research.

Also, most Catholic churches have Mass every day. If you have some time on a weekday, daily Mass can be a low-key way to experience the basics of Catholic worship. You (speaking to the OP) could also check for times of “Eucharistic Adoration.” Some churches have “Perpetual Adoration” 24/7, but most will have at least some time during the week when the consecrated elements are displayed either on the main altar or in a side chapel. Beyond that, many/most Catholic churches (at least in urban areas) are open throughout the day for prayer. And there is often a communal recitation of the Rosary, frequently before Mass.

Edwin

i think if god really wants you to become cahtolic, you will not be able to resist it. and what other think doesn’t really matter in the end. i get a lot of hate for being catholic, jesus did say it would happen.

What I suggest is to on different Sundays go to mass at some of of the diocesan Catholic churches nearby and see which parish you are most comfortable at. What you’ll witness at mass is undoubtedly God’s gift to us. I usually go to the old Latin mass which isn’t for the faint of heart but is the most authentic Catholic mass. In fact I consider myself “born again” having found the Latin mass. Rosaries can be found anywhere really; whether a Christian book store, online, I’ve even spotted one or two at a flea market. Congratulations on having found your way to the Church of Jesus Christ! :slight_smile:

No, no, no. this is not true.

Perhaps what I should have said is it is the most authentic form of the Roman rite and is an option for anyone going to mass. The important thing is for the OP to find herself a Catholic parish in her area to attend weekly. I’ll add that I always look my best for mass.

The most important thing a person can do is make a decision about his or her salvation. There is only one Church that Jesus founded. It behooves us to be in that one true faith. What people think is so minor when compared with the joy of knowing the truth. God bless:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Another convert here :wave:

It is challenging to be Catholic and not a popular choice these days, but it is the best thing I have ever done. I have never regretted my decision to convert, even when my faith felt like a burden and I was lukewarm.

I encourage you to carry on and to pray for guidance. God will take care of it and give you the necessary grace to deal with whatever happens on this journey.

God bless!

I too am a Catholic convert coming from both a Baptist background and a non-denominational background, and you are probably right that your parents, who consider themselves to be Baptists, may not be too thrilled about a conversion to Catholicism.

But when you said, ’ When I started studying and researching the Catholic faith almost over a year ago, I figured it was JUST curiosity, and I would stop thinking about it. I cannot stop thinking about it, I feel as if I’ve fallen in love.’ … It sounds like this is where the Holy Spirit wants you to be and He is the one who is drawing you into Catholicism.

My advice is to keep heading in the direction you’re going in, and to pray for an opportunity to speak to your parents, and for there to be peace and understanding between you all. But don’t be surprised if there is friction - in the long run it may open the door for your parents to understand Catholicism better as you find answers to your own questions within Catholicism and are able to share with them.

You’re in my prayers. Many blessings be upon you.

Welcome to CAF

I was introduced to the Catholic faith by the works of several Catholic women briefly, across most of my lifetime (5th grade, 6th grade, one of my doctors was a Catholic woman who had a profound impact on my life most recently (last 5 years) ((after I was a Baptized Christian but was living in sin))).

Amen - thank you for this witness to the importance of our living our faith.

I have begun saying the Rosary just during the last week, I do not have nor do I know where to obtain the proper Rosary beads. I have thought about making one. For now I have an app on my phone I use.

The app is fine - you can find rosaries for sale on line - or you might just stop at a local parish and ask…they may just give you one.

As a child I was raised Methodist, by my grandparents. The similarities are very comfortable, but I tend to appreciate the Catholic faith’s attention to observing Christ’s teachings and the detail.

:thumbsup:

I do understand the Catholic faith will be very different from my brief Methodist upbringing, or my attending of a small, non-denominational church currently. My (adopted) parents go to a non-denominational church, but consider themselves Baptists, I do not believe this will go over well with them.

Welcome to our world of misunderstandings and the need for patient and consistent explanation to others.:wink:

My husband doesn’t like “BIG” churches, so I would probably end up going to Mass and other functions alone, or with our children, unless he relented. Do I keep my love, respect and curiosity about the Catholic faith hidden in my heart and head, or do I convert?

Can’t really say at this point. Of course we would love for you to come home to the Church, and Jesus tells us not to hide our light under a basket. But that said…Only you can know if the timing is right.

I do not seek to cause a rift in my family, I just got back in touch with my (adopted) parents after almost 10 years of no communication whatsoever, so that would hurt me and them I’m sure.

hhmmmm---- Tricky problem. Have you discussed any of this with a priest?

When I started studying and researching the Catholic faith almost over a year ago, I figured it was JUST curiosity, and I would stop thinking about it. I cannot stop thinking about it, I feel as if I’ve fallen in love. Since saying the Rosary, I’ve noticed several changes in my life. 1. Prayers are answered, seemingly before I ask. 2. My mind is clearer (I am a student, Junior in college). 3. My spouse and I had been arguing quite a bit, that has stopped. (Don’t worry, I’m sure it will happen again.)

What great blessings!!!
I think that the research that you have done will likely help you when it comes time to explain to family and friends. Also - the Spirit will help guide you. Of course it is important to remember that you cannot control others or their reactions to your decision. But the choice is between following your discipleship or turning aside for something less.

If I make the choice, which I feel I will, eventually, I don’t want to cause any grief to whatever local Catholic church I go to, I have several questions. Questions: What do I wear, what do and what do I not participate in, (I am not Catholic currently, I am born-again though, and was Baptized shortly after confessing my salvation.) Interestingly enough, I like “rules”, but I really don’t like offending people. If this isn’t the right place to post this I apologize. help? (I feel the need to “congratulate”/and urge you (Catholic’s) because of the fact that it was simply the actions, lives, and “love” of these women, who were Catholic, towards me and my children, that have caused me to seek out more information about the Catholic faith. People are watching you.:thumbsup:)

Go to mass - just do not take communion. Dress well - but you don’t need to go overboard. “business casual” is probably a good standard to go by for now. Remember that you are going to visit Our Lord.
Speak to the pastor and he will put you in touch with the religious director…you should take the RCIA classes.

Feel free to post any questions here that you like. Lots of great help here at CAF.

Peace
James

*Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.*

Thank you for your replies! I have a Catholic friend who has invited me to his church for Sunday Mass. I think I will go this Sunday, and see. I do not feel it is anything good keeping me from going. I will post again after I go. I’m sure I’ll have many more questions afterwards. Thanks again!
:slight_smile:

I spent many years curious about the Catholic faith. Finally I got some books and they helped me a lot. You can probably find some of these in your local library or at ebay for a small price. I bought a 1966 New Jerusalem bible for less than $8 including shipping. I have several Catholic bibles now and this is my favorite. It’s interesting to read the things taking out of the Protestant bible such as the last 2 chapters of Daniel. I read ‘Why Do Catholics Do That’ and "Catholicism for Dummies’ both helpful and interesting books.

Then, most importantly, I joined my parish church’s RCIA class. If you think you might want to learn more, read a few books and read this website too. Then, if you still feel led to be Catholic find out how to join the RCIA class. There are lots of apps and such and you can get daily readings e-mailed to you from www.catholic.org and that is nice too. There are lots of was to find out more!

God Bless!

You ask your question in the Apologetics forum of the world’s most foremost lay apologetic organization. And that’s FINE.

But the most frequent participants in this Forum are Catholics who are more accustomed to defending the Catholic Faith (which is what the word “apologetics” means).

You might find the “Spirituality Forum” of this site more conducive to your question. But, as long as you are here, on the apologetic field, I would like to ask you one question:

What is it about the Catholic Church that makes you the most reluctant to join?

Or, put another way: You have been exploring the Catholic Faith for almost a year. What has held you back?

Your answer to this question will almost certainly put you right here. The purpose of this Forum is to provide answers. But we need to know the question.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Look forward to hearing your reactions.

The mass is so beautiful and so full of Scripture. And best of all, Christ is physically present on the altar. Oh - happy and precious gift of God. :signofcross:

Peace
James

I know my RCIA class just had another couple join this week, and it is a great way to learn about the Catholic faith through and with people who you will likely be seeing more, and who are also on a similar journey to your’s.

Spending o much time here really reduces the number of substantial questions I have during class, but there are plenty of other aspects of Catholic life and teachings that aren’t commonly discussed on these boards, as most people don’t generally have many questions about more of the non-spiritual aspects of the Church. Also, at mine, depending on our topics for the week, or the questions we raised the previous week, we will usually get a copy of the CCC page(s) pertaining to these topics/questions to help us better understand the answer.

That’s a very profound statement. I’ve heard this in Homilys during Mass, and I’m pretty confident Pope Francis would give you a big thumbs up for reminding Catholics of this, even if you are a Protestant.

There’s something to be said about the faithful, whichever religion but especially Catholics who apply what the faith teaches them as it applies to how they live their lives. Nothing will make you look at your own life with honest reflection than to see what kind of a person you can become by being in the presence of those with strong faith, and good works.

What I’ve seen is a genuine happiness with Catholics who I know are devoted to Christ and his Gospel. They’re patient, tolerant, always thinking of the well being of others, whether they be Catholic or not. It’ s not fake, it’s genuine. As my priest said last week during his reference to Lukes Gospel during Mass. We all want to go to Heaven, to be in the eternal presence with the Blessed Trinity when we’re called and after we stand before Gods judgement. You can bring Gods Kingdom here, you can experience what Heaven will be like by living and applying the teachings of the Gospel. Yes God is watching you, but so are other Catholics, CM2 and our Protestant friends. The best way to share your Catholic faith, is to show others the fruits of it’s Divine goodness. Good works inspire.

Best wishes CM2, may your entire family receive Gods blessings, see you at Mass :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.