I've begun my first "real" apologetics work

Peace be with you!

Over the last few months I’ve been involved with some debates online defending the Church. I’ve also recently e-mailed the owners of some websites addressing their portrayal of Holy Mother Church. Now, I am working on my first “real” piece of apologetics. I’m writing a letter to Chick Publications addressing the claims they make on their website and in their comic tracts. What they say about the Church is the absolute most ridiculous and unresearched things I’ve ever seen. They’ve even accused Northern Ireland (among other countries, including the US and Canada!) of having a “militant Catholic government”. Well, now…Irish history just happens to be my area of expertise.
I am drawing from various sources in my letter: the Bible, the Catechism, How the Irish Saved Civilization, Upon this Rock (by Steve Ray, who I’ve been in e-mail contact with), and of course…Catholic Answers.

Anyway, I’ve got about three pages so far, and it’s going to be much longer by the time I’m done. I just hope they’ll actually take the time to read and respond to it, like I asked them in the first paragraph. I’d like you to pray for me that I can make this letter the best I can in defense of the Church. Fortunately, their level of research is so poor (they cite their own books as sources!) that even a grade schooler in a Catholic school could refute it. I’ll also be praying for the poor souls and Chick Publications that they might have their eyes opened to the untruths they believe.

In Christ,
Rand

You have my prayers! Don’t be discouraged if you think you’ve had no impact or if you don’t hear back from them. You won’t necessarily know in this life who you’ve affected!

:blessyou:

Prayers are sent. :thumbsup:

Best wishes and God bless!

Fantastic, keep up the good work!

Rand–

I want to congratulate you on taking on you ministry with such zeal. I would suggest that when taking on a group like Chick Publications, to realize that it has the devil at the source of its evil undertakings, remember that to cast out such evil demons the Lord said “But this kind is not cast out but by prayer and fasting.” (I would not recommend fasting without consulting your doctor.) So heed Eden’s post about not being discouraged because you may touch one person’s life without knowing it.

On the practical side, take the time to keep your reference materials organized. Keep your responses in files on your computer, in folders by topic. Chances are that you will find them useful again in the future. Use your word processing software to type your responses so you can use the spell and grammar checker. (Based on your post you may already be doing this.)

Also remember to respond to the unbelievers firmly but with charity and, most importantly, remember that your strongest weapon is prayer.

I pray that the Holy Spirit will be with you, in this project, and in all of your work in the defense of the Catholic faith.

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]I’m writing a letter to Chick Publications addressing the claims they make on their website and in their comic tracts. What they say about the Church is the absolute most ridiculous and unresearched things I’ve ever seen.
[/quote]

I appreciate your zeal, but I rather think that your efforts here will amount to casting your pearls before swine. Do you really think the authors of those Chick tracts *really *believe the content is true? Their lies have been refuted a thousand times, and yet they still publish. Swine, indeed.

This is the National Inquirer of apologetics. They won’t let a little thing like truth or facts stand in the way of a good story that they can push on the more dull-witted of humanity.

Hey Son of Arathorn!

Forward us your thesis. I’m sure it will be interesting. I think you should change your name to Brian Boru. : )

God bless your work. Prayer and sacrifices indeed. Here’s an idea. Write it in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. So that what you lack, He will provide the rest.

Hope to hear from you soon.

your bro. in XT
A.

May the Force be with you. Always.

Pleasedon’tsmitemepleasedon’tsmitemepleasedon’tsmiteme…:wink:

Good luck. Sounds like you’ve done a lot of work, and you may just convince a few poor souls! I’ll pray for you, and might I also suggest if you haven’t, to cite the Early Church Fathers. They really help to ground me. By reading them, I have walked away convinced that if the Church they were in existed, it is without a doubt the Catholic Church.

By the way, Jimmy Akin has met with…the enemy…here is his story.

members.cox.net/jimmyakin/x-meet-jack-chick.htm

[quote=AquinasXVI]Hey Son of Arathorn!

Forward us your thesis. I’m sure it will be interesting. I think you should change your name to Brian Boru. : )

God bless your work. Prayer and sacrifices indeed. Here’s an idea. Write it in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. So that what you lack, He will provide the rest.

Hope to hear from you soon.

your bro. in XT
A.
[/quote]

Peace be with you!

Hahaha! Funny you should mention Brian Boru–my last name is O’Brien and I am a descendent of his!!!
That’s a good idea about writing in front of the Blessed Sacrament…I’ll do that for part of it, but a lot of it I need the computer for (I don’t own any Chick Tracts so I have to look at his website while I’m writing).

Thanks for you prayers, everyone…I’m at 10 pages and still with much left. Now I can understand how Steve Ray wrote a 200+ page letter in response to William Webster’s review of his book.
God Bless you all!

In Christ,
Rand

[quote=FuzzyBunny116]May the Force be with you. Always.

Pleasedon’tsmitemepleasedon’tsmitemepleasedon’tsmiteme…:wink:

Good luck. Sounds like you’ve done a lot of work, and you may just convince a few poor souls! I’ll pray for you, and might I also suggest if you haven’t, to cite the Early Church Fathers. They really help to ground me. By reading them, I have walked away convinced that if the Church they were in existed, it is without a doubt the Catholic Church.

By the way, Jimmy Akin has met with…the enemy…here is his story.

members.cox.net/jimmyakin/x-meet-jack-chick.htm
[/quote]

Which issue of This Rock is it in? I’d love to read about his…encounter.

In Christ,
Rand

I admire you. I just wish I had enough knowledge of my faith to defend her better.

~ Kathy ~

May you receive all the Gifts of the Holy Spirit:yup:

Thank you for what you are doing for the beautiful Catholic Church. We need so many more Marching Saints like you.

"To live without faith, without a patrimony to defend, without a steady struggle for truth, that is not living, but existing."
Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.