I've chosen my saint name

Our RCIA director told us all to pick a Saint’s name for our upcoming confirmation.

At little back story on why the name had to be Therese. I grew up Anglican and my mother wanted to name me Therese or Theresa. My grandmother FLIPPED OUT about the name “because we’re not catholic”. To say that I have Irish Protestant heritage is an understatement. They weren’t just Irish Protestant, they marched in the Orangemen’s parade. I never did understand why she thought it was such a catholic name. I unofficially adopted the name for my Anglican confirmation.

So, now that I will be Catholic, I’m taking the name Therese.

I’ve chosen St. Therese de Lisieux

Why this St. Therese since I already knew the name had to be Therese?

Because of this quote:

“I have always wanted to become a saint. Unfortunately when I have compared myself with the saints, I have always found that there is the same difference between the saints and me as there is between a mountain whose summit is lost in the clouds and a humble grain of sand trodden underfoot by passers-by.” which is exactly the sentiment I was trying to express when I met with Sr. Terese (RCIA director) when she asked me if I wanted to be a saint and I said no. She asked me why not and I said that it would be rather assuming of me to think that I might one day be a saint.

It’s also the one that Paula (my sponsor) told me to go read about 10 seconds after I told her the name had to be Therese. Although I read about all the St. Therese I could find.

Only a few more weeks! :smiley:

[quote="RedSparklyShoes, post:1, topic:314063"]
Our RCIA director told us all to pick a Saint's name for our upcoming confirmation.

At little back story on why the name had to be Therese. I grew up Anglican and my mother wanted to name me Therese or Theresa. My grandmother FLIPPED OUT about the name "because we're not catholic". To say that I have Irish Protestant heritage is an understatement. They weren't just Irish Protestant, they marched in the Orangemen's parade. I never did understand why she thought it was such a catholic name.

[/quote]

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

About your Grandmother... Therese is French and Teresa is Spanish. Both France and Spain were traditionally Catholic countries. :p

[quote="Zekariya, post:2, topic:314063"]
Congratulations! :thumbsup:

About your Grandmother... Therese is French and Teresa is Spanish. Both France and Spain were traditionally Catholic countries. :p

[/quote]

I realize one is French (although I pronounce it in English unless I write Thérèse). I'm quite certain that my grandmother was not thinking about France or Spain in her abhorence of the name. She had a lot of odd thinking about "the Church" (in her case, referring to the Anglican Church).

Congratulations! I haven’t begun my CCD classes yet (I will starting this September, God willing), but I have, too, chosen my saint names: Mary-Bernarde (after Our Lady and St. Bernadette).

God bless, and I pray you will have a wonderful confirmation ceremony. :smiley:

This being the third liturgical church I have joined, I am looking forward to it. Good things coming in 3s? :D Hopefully this is it. ;)

Hey awesome choice I chose St Therese too for my Confirmation in 2011.
I started a group a while back called Devotion to St Therese. Not as busy it was in the start but some do still pop by every now and then
Congratulations on your Confirmation!!!:D

Welcome!! I took St. Terese de Liseux as my confrimation name and it was also one of my grandmother's name. :):thumbsup::harp:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.