Ive left the Catholic church again

My local Catholic priest who I used to confess to hurt me and disappointed me very much with something he said to me.
I didn’t go back to him or his church for some time as its very hard to go there after what he said to me and now I have gone back to my old Orthodox parish and had confession and may even take Communion also.

I don’t know which church is right for me but please pray for me.

Lord, please grant Paul theApostle many graces to discern that which is the true place. Cultivate in him wisdom to differentiate between the behavior of members and the truth of a Church. Lead him through this discernment period and see that he have angelic help and experience much joy and clarity. Shine a foretaste of heavenly light into his life, that he might clearly navigate through the murk of this world. Have mercy, Lord. Our Lady, angels, and saints, pray with us. Amen.

Brother,i left Orthodoxy because I was hurt and mistreated also,now I cant get over the hurt the Catholic Priest has done to me,i just keep going to where I feel I trust and love others

the Orthodox parish I go to has great Fathers I love and trust and they help me,but ive been hurt at Orthodoxy also

i don’t know who or what to believe regarding what the truth is about the churches

thanks for your prayers

I have recently left the Catholic church due to mistreatment and hurt therefore I understand your pain. Deciding what to do next is difficult. I have left many churches for many reasons. I think it is hard to know what to do when we are hurting but the most important thing is to keep praying to God and seek him more deeply during this time of hurt.

If you need to talk about it, please message me. I am here.

Your sister in Christ,

SG

Try a different priest and another Catholic Church. Without knowing his side or what the hurt was, you have to realize that no priest is perfect in any church. You need to base your attendence on if you think and agree that the Catholic Church is the one true Church founded by Jesus on the rock of St. Peter. If you do, then try another Catholic church. I am a bit curious but are you a person that is easily hurt because you mentioned that the Orthodox priest hurt you as well? Is this a pattern or a series of unfortunate events?

Two incidents? Maybe you’re the one with the problem. You might want to consider that. Base your decisions on Truth, not feeling or how you have been treated by ANYONE. How a single priest treats you, or even two or three, has no bearing on what is the True Church. None. Ask God for some clarity in your thinking and humility.

Paul the Apostle, while the priest is a vital part of Catholic ministry, he is still human and lacking in some areas whilst he may be gifted in others. Teresa of Avila, the 16th century Spanish mystic and doctor of the Church, related a story one time of seeing the devil with his hands around the throat of a priest just as she was about to receive communion from him. She was terrified to be receiving communion from a priest that was in a state of mortal sin. However, God assured her in that moment that no matter what the priests sins, his ordination to consecrate and administer the eucharist was preserved from evil.

Most of us have encountered priests who’ve been way less then we expected them to be, and frankly we ourselves have been way less than we really should be in examples to our kids and others who look up to us, but our faith is anchored to Christ, the sacraments and the Holy Spirit among us. The perfection of Christ can’t be sullied by any of our human weaknesses and flaws.

Take heart that in your prayers and your devotion, your faith is nourished. Pray for those that hurt you, even priests and others who should know better. Leaving your faith because of the flaws of another person is depriving yourself of the great opportunities to love selflessly and unconditionally.

God bless and comfort you.

I have lived in Mexico now more than 10 years, and a number of years back, I went to confession and felt hurt by a penance a priest gave me to a point while I did the penance, I didn’t return to that Catholic Church, or any, for I think probably over 10 years.

During my time away, I missed my faith so began searching but ultimately came back to my starting place, the Catholic Church!

Now, I see that my rationale for leaving the Church was not really what I’d now consider valid. If I disagreed with the Church’s beliefs, okay, that’d be a valid reason to move to another faith. However, a conflict with one priest, two, even ten or twenty, still, to me, wouldn’t be reason enough for me to change my faith.

I’d need to disagree with the beliefs, themselves, as I say.

Now, I’m not sure how Orthodox faiths work, but I heard at least some don’t adhere to the authority of the pope.

I believe in Catholicism, specifically BECAUSE it believes in the papacy!

If your present Church does not accept the papacy, I’d encourage you to reread the passages of the Bible which relate to this.

Christ spoke to Peter, and him alone, and said 3 TIMES to shepherd his sheep. He also said that later, he would be called upon to strengthen his brethren. Christ said that ALL authority in heaven and earth were given to him. In turn, he used that authority and gave Peter, and him alone, the “keys to the kingdom”, saying that whatever he held bound on earth would be bound in heaven. What he loosed on earth would be loosed in heaven.

In other words, in Christ’s absence, Peter was to have full authority, so that the Church would never be without leadership.

Now, when Judas committed suicide, he was replaced. This is because their positions were what we would consider “offices”. Same thing happened with Peter. When he died, he was replaced. Peter’s role was always one of leadership, and we follow Peter’s descendents, faithful to them to this day!

We believe Christ gave Peter divine authority, and if we disobey Peter, or his descendants or representatives, it’d be like when people wouldn’t listen to the prophets. It’d be the equivalent of disobeying Christ, and God, himself!

Remember how Christ sent them all out and said whoever rejected them would reject Christ. Whoever rejected Christ, rejected the one who sent him, (God the Father).

To me, when someone rejects the authority of the pope, goes to a faith, particularly one that is not in communion with the Catholic Church, he is going against Christ.

The Catholic Church was there from the beginning. Later, a lot of churches branched off from there. I believe we were to stay faithful to our origin and the Vicar of Christ, not to follow the herd.

Now, I, myself, have had major conflicts with some priests. Now, I have learned NOT to leave the Church over these skirmishes. I consider these part of the human equation.

I’d sooner leave an individual Catholic Church than THE Catholic Church. I hope you will consider switching to another CATHOLIC Church.

Good luck with your decision and God bless! :slight_smile:

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blest is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. :gopray:

Holy Mother, pray for my brother Paul the Apostle who is in confusion and pain. Amen.

We have another Catholic church nearby called St Raphael church,all my relatives from my late Dads side attend there and are all very happy,the church where I had the problem is next to my house and me mum are not really happy there,but mum still thinks of it as her parish and doesn’t wish to change.

I attended St Raphaels for a few weeks and liked it and I see my God mother there also.
I also believed God was calling me to this church years ago through something that happened.
I could very much do with the help and aid of St Raphael also in my life and all the things he is supposed to help with seem to be the things that I really need.

Please pray to St Raphael for me.

Thank you Clearwater for your post,although I am not able to just blindly believe in all that St Peter stuff ,I know the Orthodox have their different beliefs also and im sorry but I just don’t know what or who to believe,although I do like the sound of it and what you wrote about St Peter,but I just don’t know if its true or not.i spent 16 years at Orthodoxy and was filled with all their anti Catholic beliefs…

I will say that the Catholic priest I had the problem with knows about my life with Orthodoxy and he supports and encourages me to get help from them if I am able and he said that I did find God there at the Russian church.He is layed back when it comes down to 'leaving the Church of St Peter ’ and ‘breaking communion with Peter’ ,and allows me to go to Orthodoxy.

So should I follow his advice or over zealous laypeople perhaps here telling me not to break communion with Peter.?

I am sorry to hear that. We often do not appreciate how much words can hurt. I wonder if he knew how much he hurt you? Depending on the person a honest conversation may be possible about each others view points and feelings. I have found that many times a person can be hurt without the other person even knowing. Many times this may be resolvable through effective communication with the other party.

In regards to your last question, I would say if you can go Byzantine. But then again I am biased :stuck_out_tongue:

God Bless and I pray you are feeling better and for wisdom:gopray:

I don’t think there is anything wrong with leaving your parish when you feel like you have been wronged. Just don’t lose your faith, your giving the priest too much power if you let him destroy your faith.

With St. Benedict of Nursia, the founder of western monasticism. Monks found him too strict, turned against him and attempted to poison him. However, before Benedict can drink a poisoned cup of wine, he blesses the cup and it shatters.

However, as Benedict’s fame grew, Florentinus (Florent), a priest of a nearby church, “became more and more consumed with burning jealousy.” Blinded by this envy, he sends a poisoned loaf of bread to Benedict. However, Benedict knows it is poisoned…

Even saints have had to deal with bad priests, don’t let them destroy your faith.

Paul the Apostle,
For a year I wondered in the Orthodox Church was the right one, then I found this book: *Jesus, Peter, and the Keys, *which discusses several aspects of the issue using Early Church Fathers, Orthodox and Protestant theologians, and of course Catholics, and it became clear that the Catholic Church was right :slight_smile:

You need to look into which Church has the most of Christ’s Truth. This is very important.

When I was young, I was often hurt by people. Then i realized that a lot of times, I was not the source of their problem! Most of the time it was because of something unrelated to me–they were having a bad day, they hadn’t had a chance to eat, their joss got mad at them… So if someone hasn’t hurt me before, I just figure they had a problem like that, or maybe a few times if the rest of the time we got on well, bit if it was consistent, I would just expect them to be hurtful because that is their way, and I was rarely disappointed :wink:

I am a bit if a klutz, so I am constantly saying the exact wrong thing and that is how i know that usually it has nothing to do with me, because when I am the “bad guy,” it usually has nothing to do with them!

A couple generations ago 3/4 of my family was Catholic. Because of corrupt priests most of my family left the church over the last several decades. Only my maternal grandparents, my wife, and myself are still Catholic. Some family have went to other churches, but most left those to for similar reasons. Now most of my family does not attend any church. Since this trend of giving up on church started in my family we have had many issues of divorce, children out of wedlock, drug use/petty crimes, and there is a general lack of respect for others. Although there may also be some other sociological reasons for the decline of my family, leaving the church is definitely a large factor.

From my experience, it seems that people that leave one church will usually end up leaving the next. I know the Eastern Orthodoxy is very similar to Roman Catholicism, but I still would suggest picking one and sticking to it. You need consistency. If you have children or are going to have children, it would be much easier on them.

I agree with the others here. Don’t judge the church on one priest or even a handful. Decide which church you feel has the fullest truth and stick to it.

Good luck,
JK

I guess you will come to realise that the priest didnt die for you - no one wants you there as much as Our Lord does. If anyone else in church gets ‘in the way’ of your time with Christ -.remove them. He wants your undivided attention - & He will not hurt you. At the end of the day, Our Lord has invited you - no one else - & He wants to be with you - not you & the priest & all the others in the pews. They all must come second in mass - they can have their place outside of mass. Sometimes priests need to remember to step back so they dont interfere with Christ. You will hurt Our Lord a lot more if you dont attend mass.
I would say to.go to another parish where you can concentrate on Our Lord.
If you want to waste your time being hurt by people, there are plenty of opportunities for that in the secular world. Praying for you. :frowning:

Was Jesus always pleased with what the Apostles did, didn’t some of them question Jesus ? did they leave ? one betrayed Him I know, but they stuck it out because in the end they didn’t know better than Jesus.

I don’t know what happened in your world but it is better if we can rise above it and see why we go to Mass in the first place, it’s to Worship and receive Our Lord, bury your pride and you will be a bigger person at the end of it…& pray for your priest, they are under tremendous temptation like any mere mortal +++

Would this be something you would be willing to discuss with him, personally, in private, in a non-accusatory manner? Even though it occurred long ago, it would be a wonderful thing if what happened to cause you pain could be resolved peacefully, and with Love (of God and each other).

I wish you peace.

(God help, Take this Paul and Bring him to Your Church)
I recommend this for you Paul:
youtube.com/watch?v=MZ5tEzXxSvs

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Praying that the Lord may guide you in this matter.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.