I've lost all of my respect for Family Guy

After seeing this episode:

tv.com/family-guy/not-all-dogs-go-to-heaven/episode/1133430/reviews.html?tag=overview;reviews

The ending with Meg & Brian (of that episode) ruined it for me. I thought Brian would finally believe in God, but now he has even convinced Meg to give up her faith for atheism. The first 1/2 of the episode was OK, but the other half in my opinion is purely sickening.:dts:

What do you guys think? Who agrees with me?

As a Catholic myself, I felt as if my faith were attacked all thanks to the dog Brian.

God help us all (believers). (Why does Seth MacFarlane make shows that p*sses all of us off? It’s just my perspective.)

I lost all respect for Family Guy when they made it appear that it was all Peter’s fault that Anne Frank and her family were caught because he was eating potato chips.

I don’t even think Family Guy wants your respect. :ehh: It’s a TV show that feeds on shock value, and clearly you’re giving it a feast. :o

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

It’s part of the media campaign to promote atheism.

Peace,
Ed

Blade and Blood is right in this respect, at least in the regard that it tries to intentionally irritate certain people, and us Christians are easy targets. As a discerning Catholic, I watch it sometimes because it can be bitingly funny, but I often have to just sadly shake my head and roll my eyes when they go for the cheap laugh (i.e. making fun of Christians). Of course, it plays well to a large segment of America who believe that this world is all there is and get all you can before you die.:rolleyes:

No, if you if you want to tune in to the show sometimes, it can be funny. But, I wouldn’t ever expect anything but attacks on our faith because comics often go for the easy targets.

I was gonna say - who even would think of the words ‘respect’ and ‘Family Guy’ in the same sentence? Not that some of it (what I’ve seen - not a regular watcher) isn’t hysterical, but respect?

Hmmm, Family Guy with the word “respect” is like saying 2+2 is 5.:confused:

But 2 + 2 is 5, for extremely large values of 2.

I got a sickening feeling while watching today’s episode. I used to watch it because some of it can be funny, but today was quite different. In this episode, “Christians are shown to be people with no reasons; we burn books about science and logic; and that happiness can be found within… not with God.”

I’ll just use the extra free time I have now for prayers instead of wasting my mind with silliness like this.

Warmest regards,
Ben

^^ Amen. And that episode of Family Guy made me miss G4 Underground, and I’ll never forgive that. :mad:

(Well I least DVR’ed the show at 11 p.m.)

What did you expect?

The central strategy of the show is to mock anything and everything the writers can think of. How can you get offended when it’s your turn?

What’s next? Posts expressing surprise and horror at the sickness inherent to the Howard Stern show?? :rolleyes:

I watched it. I loved the plotline about Star Trek Next Generation. We howled through that.

And we loved the image of God as “Flash, Savior of the Universe” speeding the through the universe on a jet ski. Believe it or not, the image of God in that cel is so simliar to an image of God the Father at my hundred-year-old Italian parish in our city.

But I agree that that God-belief-atheist thing was just sad. It doesn’t help that my husband and I didn’t know who the two actors were at the end of the episode. We eventually figured out that one of them was Rob Lowe, who I think was in trouble a few years back for soliciting a prostitute? But who was the elderly actor? And why were they sleeping in twin beds in the same room? Was this part of some joke?

I suspect that the episode might have made more sense to people who are actively engaged in modern culture.

What I’m tempted to do is try to write Seth McFarlane and challenge him to write a pro-God episode. Tell him that if he can make fun of God–easy!–he can write a show with just the opposite message. Tell him to write a show that will have Christians dancing and cheering!

And then tell him that I don’t believe he’s capable of writing it. He doesn’t have the balls or the talent.

That might just peak his interest and he might just do it.

BUT…I also think you should all stop and take a second look at this episode.

It was hardly flattering to atheism. In fact, I think it made atheism look just as pathetic as Kirk Cameron’s easy-fix-accept-Jesus-into-your-heart salvation.

Brian looked like a total idiot. Sure, he touted atheism, but it was such a stupid, self-centered, empty, hopeless, despairing, almost violent version of atheism (no explanation or remedy for Meg’s mistreatment by her family) that I’m thinking others watching were as disgusted by Brian’s atheism as they were by Meg’s cheap religion.

How pathetic! Brian has so much faith in the “Human Experience” (funny, he’s not even a human, he’s a dog!), but the Human Experience couldn’t stop him from having the raging DTs while he was withdrawing from alcohol abuse, and he was actually willing to LIE and CHEAT to get an innocent girl to take him to a liquor store to guzzle alcohol! What a tool!

What good is his belief in nothing if this belief is not capable of elevating him out of the throes of alcoholism, which, in spite a long television history of “cute” drunks, is NOT funny at all, and will eventually kill most of the people who suffer from it.

As that camera zoomed back from Quahog and showed a panorama of the universe to the background music of trumpets, I couldn’t help but be even more convinced that there HAS to be a God! (I’m wondering if that was the intent of the cinematography?)

Anyway, look before you leap. I honestly think that McFarlane was trying to say just the opposite of what he presented. I think he was trying to tell us that atheism is not the answer. I don’t think he did a very good job of it, but I think he was trying.

I’m shocked you even HAD respect for Family Guy :eek:

I was looking for this thread simply because of last night’s episode.

Seth McFarlane is an atheist.

These kind of people just think differently from us. I always take opportunities like last night’s episode to counter an atheist’s claims. First of all, Christians aren’t portrayed well in the episode. Secondly, they mock Meg’s answer, “God made me in his image.” Last night’s ep, to me, is a direct assault to my belief. I simply scoffed to myself because they’re the ones who don’t get it. Quite unfortunate… because Meg’s answer is in reality the key to living a real mystical life.

Thank you all the good replies. :slight_smile: (By the way what I mean by respect is my “likeness”)

@ Dandelion Wine: I’ve been a fan of Family Guy since 2005. While I was watching the series since then, I’ve virtually found nothing offense to me and my faith until now. Lately I’ve seen recent (and replayed) episodes of it that I found offensive. And my likeness of the show began to decrease.

@ Catholic Samurai: THANK YOU! That’s exactly how I felt. And I was just digging up on some info on Seth and he is in fact an atheist. How shocking. :eek:

It was basically the ending of the show ruined it for me. But thank all you for bringing your insights on that episode.

God bless all of you that replied. :highprayer:

Further discussion will continue. :slight_smile:

I caught some of it.

I thought it was kinda funny honestly…nothing that bad IMO
:stuck_out_tongue:

I have no respect for it :slight_smile: - it’s amusing, sometimes (though I far prefer some other cartoons I could name) but not something to take seriously. What’s wrong with poking fun at Catholics, or any people with a religion ? :slight_smile:

The star trek part was funny, but hey, brian’s a dog, he doesn’t have a soul anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

Although I honestly am sick of christians being portrayed as backwards loons. We’re not all crazy. :shrug:

Not all Christians are portrayed as backwards loons.

There is a great book out called The Gospel According to the Simpsons. Here is a link to the new edition, which I haven’t read yet, but will order today (I didn’t know about it:

markpinsky.com/indexA.htm

The book is excellent. It points out how on The Simpsons, religion is part of daily life (not the case in most other television shows, where God is never mentioned except as a swear word).

It demonstrates how Ned Flanders, Rev. Lovejoy, etc., in spite of faults, are actually portrayed as admirable people.

In fact, in the episode this past weekend, when poor Rev. Lovejoy discovered that (due to a technical glitch) he wasn’t actually a licensed minister, he immediately contacted ALL of the people who were affected by this (including Homer and Marge, who weren’t officially married because of the lack of license.) THAT is an admirable personality trait–honesty. A lot of people would have just said, “Oh, well, what they don’t know won’t hurt them.” Good for Rev. Lovejoy.

And even though Ned Flanders sometimes comes across as self-righteous and fanatical, he’s actually a very nice man who is always ready to step up and help people, including his obnoxious neighbors, the Simpsons.

You have to actually watch the show on a regular basis to get all this, though. It’s just like real life–you wouldn’t judge a neighbor by one meeting with him/her. If your first impression wasn’t so good, you would probably step back and keep an eye on the neighbor for a number of years, and then you would see not only his/her flaws, but all his/her many good traits.

And that’s the case with the Simpsons. This show has been on the air for twenty years, half a generation. (Longer if you count the snippets on the Tracy Ullman Show). Those who have watched the show over the twenty years will find that there is a lot more good in it than bad.

Just like a neighbor occasionally messes up and does/says something really bad, so do the Simpsons. But you don’t abandon them because of a bad episode.

I personally think that the Catholic episode was fantastic in its portrayal of the Catholic Church. The priest was voiced by ultra-cool guy Liam Neeson, and he was about as cool a priest as you will ever see! So that’s an example of a good portrayal of Christians.

Family Guy hasn’t been around as long as the Simpsons, and has a completely different atmosphere. Family Guy has not developed the vast number of friends and neighbors and townspeople that the Simpson’s has. The emphasis is more on the Griffin family and their three wacky neighbors. The humor is more graphic and darker. I think that Seth McFarlane has a very gloomy view of American families and culture, and brings this out in his cartoons. If that’s what he has seen, then of course that’s what he will present.

Also, Family Guy fans will admit that the first two seasons of the show were very different than the seasons after popular demand put the show back on the air. The first few seasons were more like Calvin and Hobbes–all of the funny stuff was in the imagination of the characters. It was obvious that Baby Stewie probably wasn’t saying all that stuff at all, it was his mother who was imagining him saying all that stuff, pretending to have world dictatorship aspirations, etc. What mother HASN’T imagined that her little darling is actually an evil genius who is just throwing the cereal around the room to distract her?!

And Brian the dog was just a dog who really didn’t talk, but all the family members imagined him talking and acting like a human. We all do the same with our pets, at least I do.

And when the giant chicken attacked Peter, it wasn’t real. It was Peter imagining the chicken attack, as he tried desperately to avoid facing an unpleasant encounter with his wife and admitting that he had messed something up again.

Now it seems that the characters really ARE talking and plotting and doing the evil things and being homosexuals–IMO, it’s not nearly as good as when the whole thing was actually in their imaginations and in real life, they lived the same boring lives as the rest of us live. THAT was the charm of the first two seasons–they lived in their imaginations, while continuing to maintain normal lives.

Now the line between imagination and reality has been erased, and we see a baby who really is a homosexual pervert, a dog who is a liberal loudmouth, a man who really is retarded and abusive of his daughter, a woman who is selfish but pretends to be open-minded and modern, a young girl who is a social outcast, and a young man who is afraid of an evil monkey in his closet (the only “imagination” thing that still survives from the first few seasons). And the neighbors–Glen really IS having sex with all those women and others, Cleveland and Loretta got a divorce, and the guy in the wheelchair-well, they don’t do much with him anymore.

But a lot of the humor of the first few seasons is still there, and that’s why so many of us still watch it. Plotlines like the *Star Trek *thing are so very funny.

I’ve never seen South Park (we don’t have cable).

American Dad is even more interesting than FG, but I don’t watch it much. I love Roger the Alien. And my husband and I have a DVD of the wonderful Figure Skating episode–it’s as funny as Blades of Glory, actually funnier!

Anyway, I think there is a lot more to these cartoon shows than is on the surface.

And frankly, I think they have a lot more good than so many of the sitcoms where people sleep together after one date, kids are little wise acres in their language, women are all gorgeous, men are handsome, and no one ever seems to actually have a job where they do real work. And of course, no one ever goes to church.

I am looking forward to reading the updated version of Gospel According To Simpson’s to see what the author has to say about FG and SP.

I agree.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.