Ive pinpointed the reason I can spend all day in prayer but don’t feel compelled to attend Mass

Mass is for our salvation, right? Well I’m not a Catholic yet, and even if I want to be, it’s a months-long classroom experience before I’m in. If I go to Mass tomorrow, I won’t be any closer to salvation because I won’t be participating or receiving the Sacraments. That’s why I don’t bother. The Mass serves a purpose and I’m not included. I’m just there to “practice” and develop a habit.

I understand why you’d feel that way. I felt the same when I started RCIA until my priest explained some things to me. You’re right that the mass serves a purpose but you are most definitely included in that even though you can’t fully participate.

You get to be in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ for starters. You hear the gospel proclaimed as well as hearing the homily. You are able to join your prayers with the prayers of the entire Church. You can also make an act of spiritual communion. I’d say that’s far more than just “practice”.

11 Likes

God commands us to keep the Sabbath holy. The holiest place and worship of God Himself is the Holy Mass. He is actually present there, the complete God-Man. If you knew this, wouldn’t you want to go greet Him and worship in His presence?

3 Likes

Mass is also a “communal” worship, with fellow Christians. When we are with fellow Christians, we are able to exercise our spiritual gifts–exhortation, helps, giving, etc. You will receive the benefit of these spiritual gifts, and you will be able to exercise your spiritual gifts and be a benefit to others.

It is encouraging to fellow Christians to be together and participate together in confessing sins (done during Mass), singing, prayer, silence, reading and hearing the Word of God, and joining in Holy Communion, if not by receiving, then by making a spiritual communion.

The liturgical Mass prayers of your fellow Christians during Mass are edifying for you, and your joining in with those liturgical prayers is edifying for them. Mass is actually a prayer, and it’s good for Christians to join in with that prayer.

When we attend Mass, we take a public stand for Jesus Christ and His Church and we make a public, visible testimony that we are attempting to follow Jesus. This is important. The First Century Christians, as well as many present-day Christians, were/are willing to die for their faith.

Finally, we will hopefully spend all eternity with our fellow Christians. May as well start enjoying each other now!

1 Like

You still receive grace by going to Mass. And it’s not for nothing that you cultivate a habit. Virtue is a habitual disposition toward the good. Faith is a virtue. So by going to Mass, you receive grace and cultivate virtue that will aid you on the path of salvation.

-Fr ACEGC

13 Likes

I like your user name @howmanymakecommunity. Please come to Mass and show others the answer to that question.

Peace!!!

1 Like

Mass is the worship of God. isn’t that what you want to do? as a catholic, you only have to receive communion once a year.

1 Like

Is He not equally present everywhere or are you saying he is MORE present at mass?

God is not equally present everywhere; after all, when one goes to an adoration chapel, He is there present in an extraordinary way.
God said to Moses: “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.” Then he said, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.” At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.“ Exodus 3:5-6

2 Likes

But we are aware we don’t have to be so minimal, thanks be to the Lord.

wherever 2 are gathered in His name, He is there.

Agreed. So He is not MORE present in some places.

I read this in Scripture. Then discovered the application.

Actually, you do participate in the Sacrament because you aren’t just a spectator at Mass, you are a participant. That’s why the priest says, “That My Sacrifice and Yours May Be Acceptable to God”. We are to bring our sacrifice to Mass and offer it up to God with the others in the congregation. Mass isn’t for spectators. Worship = Sacrifice.

2 Likes

While indeed present everywhere, the presence of Jesus is unique and special in the Holy Eucharist. That’s why coming into His presence and praying there is on a different level then praying to God, as we can and should, everywhere else. The Catechism of the Catholic Church confirms this. This is just a small piece of the chapter on this:
Screenshot_2020-03-08 The Catechism of the Catholic Church

He is present in a different way in the transubstantiated Host.

Catholics go to the church to pray in front of the Tabernacle or Monstrance, where Jesus is in His Real Presence. We do not have to receive the Eucharist to make it worthwhile to go, and the Mass is a higher form of worship.

I think it would be good for you to go to Mass and make a Spiritual Communion. For some, this discipline increases their understanding and love for the Eucharist.

1 Like

Mass is a prayer, from start to finish. You participating in that prayer communicates grace as you are acting in the one body of Christ.

To me, confession is like a spiritual bath, renewing your baptismal state. Mass is like Jesus washing his disciple’s feet. Where Peter said,”Not just my feet, but all of me.”

Jesus told him he’s already clean & only his feet need cleansing due to walking through this world.

At the beginning of Mass you pray with the community in Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Through the liturgy of the word you hear Christ speaking to you directly in plain language. Through the Eucharistic prayer, you (with the body, in Christ) offer God the body, blood, soul, & divinity of his dearly beloved Son. For the forgiveness of our sins & those of the whole world.

If you don’t “get anything” out of it, go & pray for your friends & family who desperately need your prayers (with the body in Christ).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.