J.I. Packer and ECT

Anyone know about ECT (Evangelical & Catholics Together)

I was surprised that Dr. J.I. Packer who is Reformed (similar to Presbyterian) had signed with ECT. Most were surprised about his stance and even most Protestants criticize on any Evangelicals who supports ECT. Does anyone know what J.I. Packer’s personal comments/stance on Catholicism and ECT?

I am still looking for a book explaining about ECT with both Catholic and Evangelical views of their support. It will be a good for me to understand and defend Catholic Faith by using Evangelical’s quotations to support ECT. Hope anyone here know a good book or website.

Evangelicals and Catholics Toward a Common Mission Together
Edited by Charles Colson and Richard John Neuhaus

The book has the complete ECT statement and essays by Colson, George Weigel, Cardinal Dulles, JI Packer, and others.

I don’t know if this is exactly what your looking for, but it’s a start.

becky

[quote=Mike]Does anyone know what J.I. Packer’s personal comments/stance on Catholicism and ECT?
[/quote]

The following links should be helpful to clarify what Dr. J. I. Packer believes about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and Roman Catholicism:
[/font]Intro to Owen’s Death of Death by J.I. Packer (highly recommended)

Freedom and Authority by J.I. Packer

Resolutions for Roman Catholic and Evangelical Dialogue [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Drafted by Michael Horton; revised by J. I. Packer
[/font]
That last link is especially relevant to ECT and what Dr. Packer believes concerning the doctrines of Roman Catholicism.

[quote=Mike] I am still looking for a book explaining about ECT with both Catholic and Evangelical views of their support. It will be a good for me to understand and defend Catholic Faith by using Evangelical’s quotations to support ECT. Hope anyone here know a good book or website.
[/quote]

Getting the Gospel Right by Dr. R.C. Srpoul

Mike wrote: “I was surprised that Dr. J.I. Packer who is Reformed (similar to Presbyterian) had signed with ECT.”

As a point of clarification, Dr. Packer is an Anglican, though one of decidedly evangelical and Reformed conviction. When I was an evangelical Protestant, he was among those I most respected. As a Catholic, I still do respect him enormously. He is a learned and godly man, and apparently has taken a good deal of criticism from his fellow evangelicals concerning his participation in ECT.

Packer may have some reformed views and sensibilities, but, if my memory serves me correctly, he wrote the forward to Open Embrace: A Protestant Couple Rethinks Contraception, by Sam and Bethany Torode.

In any case, I think that the ECT is an interesting initiative. I just wish that more Catholics and especially more Evangelicals would read their documents, especially their document on evangelization: “The Christian Mission in the Third Millennium.”

I think that some of the principles that are laid down in that document would be a good starting point for discussing the problem of Evangelical and Pentecostal missionaries working in the primarily Catholic countries of Central and South America.

Thanks to all for info… It clarifies the position of J.I. Packer on ECT. :slight_smile:

I am adding rep points to all who reply to my message. thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.