J.N.D. Kelly Protestant?

I have not read J.N.D. Kelly’s works personally yet, however I have seen now numerous quotations of his, used by Catholics in defense of the Catholic Church. How does this man remain classified as a Protestant? Some of his works prove the authenticity of the Deuterocanonicals as part of the early Septuagint, the early Catholicity of the Church and Church Fathers etc.

Any comments?

I believe he is an Anglican. Some pro Catholic people admire Catholic positions, but choose not to become Catholic because they do not want to be subject to the Pope of Rome and believe he is infallible.

He is a very reputable scholar and that’s why he is referred to. I believe people refer to him because he is a historian. Most of his research is into issues of fact, not theology. You can agree with most of the facts to do with the Catholic Church but still reject it’s doctrine.

Also, often if a person of an different belief system agrees with you on a point of fact, it can reinforce your point because they can’t reasonably be claimed to be biased toward you.

[quote=michaelgazin]I have not read J.N.D. Kelly’s works personally yet, however I have seen now numerous quotations of his, used by Catholics in defense of the Catholic Church. How does this man remain classified as a Protestant? Some of his works prove the authenticity of the Deuterocanonicals as part of the early Septuagint, the early Catholicity of the Church and Church Fathers etc.

Any comments?
[/quote]

My hope is that Kelly converts to Rome.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.