J W's and Satanism

Recently while doing some research on the satanic mass it occurred to me how similar it is to the Jehovah’s Witness version of the Last Super which they celebrate once a year and call “The Lords evening Meal”.
The ritual of the Black Mass begun in the late middle ages and basically follows the form of a Catholic Requiem Mass, including the basic liturgy. In the satanic mass the name of God is replaced with various other deities nearly all from the Bible such as Baal, Molek, etc. And the name of Christ is replaced usually with something like “The demons and Devils of the Antichrist”, etc. A representation of the host (body and Blood of Christ) is defiled and profaned in various ways and then rejected by the participants, before finally being consumed by the high priest.

When reading this it dawned on me that this is very similar to the ritual of the JW’s. They replace the name of God with an erroneous made up name and insist that all should address God with this name, They reject the Son and also replace his name and identity with Michael the Arc angel. At their evening meal they pass around what they call emblems or representations of the body and blood and nearly all are encouraged to reject them before, in very few cases these days, a small select group in the anointed class consume them. In many kingdom halls all around the world the congregation gathers for one purpose and that is to play out a rejection ceremony of the body and blood of Christ.

The further I looked into this more I found common ground, for example the Satanic church has its own version of scripture which is basically a collection of writings from various influential people in the movement, however most of these writings follow a particular section of the Bible with key words changed or substituted to change the meaning. Which is exactly what the Watch Tower has done.

I found this disturbing, particularly when thinking about the many sincere people who have been duped into thinking that they are serving God when in fact they have stumbled into what would appear to be active, conscious Satanism.

Thoughts Please?

N.B. If this thread is to provocative or controversial would a moderator please remove it.

I do not know what to tell you…:shrug: I have not looked at a black mass.

From this vision of Pope Leo XIII:

Exactly 33 years to the day prior to the great Miracle of the Sun in Fatima, that is, on October 13, 1884, Pope Leo XIII had a remarkable vision. When the aged Pontiff had finished celebrating Mass in his private Vatican Chapel, attended by a few Cardinals and members of the Vatican staff, he suddenly stopped at the foot of the altar. He stood there for about 10 minutes, as if in a trance, his face ashen white. Then, going immediately from the Chapel to his office, he composed the above prayer to St. Michael, with instructions it be said after all Low Masses everywhere.

When asked what had happened, he explained that, as he was about to leave the foot of the altar, he suddenly heard voices - two voices, one kind and gentle, the other guttural and harsh. They seemed to come from near the tabernacle. As he listened, he heard the following conversation:
The guttural voice, the voice of Satan in his pride, boasted to Our Lord: “I can destroy your Church.”
The gentle voice of Our Lord: “You can? Then go ahead and do so.”
Satan: “To do so, I need more time and more power.”
Our Lord: "How much time? How much power?
Satan: “75 to 100 years, and a greater power over those who will give themselves over to my service.”
Our Lord: “You have the time, you will have the power. Do with them what you will.”

If you somehow think about it…this is the time these various denoms got established…and started attacking the CC…as the main claim to be true churches. Does the LDS claim ring a bell also?

I believe it unwise to categorise another religion’s ceremonies by alluding to comparisons to Satanic worship. It is too facile to make comparisons of this sort without looking more deeply into the rational of the JW’s rejection of their Memorial Meal. I understand that it has something to do with the delineation between the heavenly elect and others.
Whilst their belief structure appears to be biblically based, like many American protestant sects, its acceptance of the Bible is selective at best as they do not accept the Godhead of Jesus or the Trinity.
As a believer in transubstantiation accepting that my God in his completeness is transferred miraculously in the Mass into the accidents of bread and wine, I feel that in all humility, I cannot ridicule even the strangest beliefs of any religion. I can find reasons both rational and biblical against their beliefs and argue with them at the door whenever they arrive. However I always treat them with respect and wish that we catholics had the same evangelical zeal.
I personally do not believe these sadly deluded good souls are Satanists or involved in satanic worship. To understand the complexities of comparative religions requires intelligence and study. I prefer just to be kind.

I agree with you, and believe it not a good idea to literally demonize other people’s religions.

I could not agree with you more! And for the record let us not forget that the beliefs of Satanism are also Bible based. They just don’t believe the Bible the way we do, however they do believe what is written in the Bible to be true,

What rings my bells is look at the timing. 75-100years would cover sexual revolution, the dawn of contraceptive culture and Roe v. Wade. :shrug:

I will 3rd this. We shouldn’t sink to the level of taking a shadowy understanding of another group’s rituals and declare it as “devil worship.”

Misunderstanding of the Catholic faith leads to the same sorts of accusations, and I for one, hate it.

Has anyone actually ever met a real live satanist? My only experience with them has been with an occasional teenager trying to scare their parents into paying more attention to them. I’m thinking the folks who publish books are trying to sell to such markets.

Jehovah’s Witnesses make claim to be Christian. They lack the fullness of understanding of the Christian Faith. They are different from the mainstream churches of the Reformation. They are rather esoteric and are on the boundaries of Christianity. Nevertheless, it is inappropriate to categorise them with satanists. I know a small number of Jehovah’s Witnesses. I don’t agree with their beliefs. But, they are fundamentally good people. Whilst they do tend to be supportive to their own community and not those outside it they are extremely supportive of their own community.

They don’t replace the name of God. God is a title rather than a name. Most Christians don’t assign any name to God. The Jehovah’s Witnesses through both mistranslation and misinterpretation of Scripture they claim God has a name - Jehovah. This is not the same as in a black mass where the word God is replaced with the names of false deities.

They don’t reject Christ in the like manner of satanists. In fact I would guess satanists might have a better comprehension of who Christ is. That being said they don’t reject Christ as satanists would. Again through their misguided beliefs they claim that Christ isn’t the second person of the Trinity. In fact Jehovah’s Witnesses are unitarian - they don’t believe in the Trinity. They teach that God sent the Archangel Michael to Earth as Jesus and that he returned to heaven to be the Archangel Michael again. Wrong but certainly not satanic.

Their memorial meal in certain respects wouldn’t differ from some Protestant denominations. They believe it is just a memorial and they receive bread and wine. Most don’t receive not because they’re rejecting Christ. They don’t receive because they see themselves as not worthy. Only the elect are going to heaven and only they may receive. Because the elect numbers, IIRC, 144,000 not that many will receive.

The New World Translation is the version of Scripture Jehovah’s Witnesses use. It is not a correct translation of the Word of God. Nevertheless, it is a version of Scripture and it is not satanic writings.

It serves no purpose to label people this way because they lack the fulness of the Truth of Catholicism.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.