Jack Black leads a prayer to the Devil at the 2009 MTV Awards

:eek:

I used to like Jack Black, I thought he was funny. Now, I wonder if I’ll ever be able to look at him in the same way again. Maybe he thought this stunt was funny too, but I see absolutely no humor in it. I am stunned. Wow. Apparently, disrespecting Christians is not new behavior for Black. Wonder if this has ruined “Kung Fu Panda” for me, a DVD I have enjoyed watching with my children (and hubby sometimes too on family movie night). Sad.

"The 40-year-old “comedian” Jack Black went on the “dark side” during the MTV Awards praying to the devil. Black, who was promoting a heavy metal video game called Brütal Legend, asked the “Dear Dark Lord Satan” to bless the rock star nominees with “continued success in the music industry.” …

Entire entry here: christianpress.com/content/entertainment/360-jack-black-leads-a-prayer-to-the-devil-at-the-2009-mtv-awards

Second source: newsbusters.org/blogs/carolyn-plocher/2009/09/14/jack-black-leads-prayer-devil-2009-mtv-awards

I’m sure that Jack Black meant it as a joke. A tactless, very offensive joke, but still a joke. I guess for people that don’t believe in Christ, it is hard for them to understand how such jokes can be so offensive.

I loved the movies. Now we hardly go because we’re not throwing our money away on trash or on actors who are far out there. Sad but true.

I don’t know if it is the nature of the beast to do outrageous things so their names stay on top such as this stuff with Jack Black.

Then we have Charlie Sheen. Guy is talented but wastes himself. Now he wants to argue if 9/11 was done by our own government, and the merits of Van Jones, an avowed communist.

:confused: Jack Black’s humor seems a little warped. I wonder if he realizes he is playing with fire. I don’t think Satan has a sense of humor, but I bet he’d love a new toy.

I am thinking that he already has his new toy, and is now looking for more willing volunteers. Very scary, to think that this is a joke. My heart breaks for these very lost souls.

Does anyone actually know who jack Black is, a lot know him for pretty rubbish family comedies, But he was in tenacious D . He is also not religious at all, so he’s not really praying to Satan he is embracing 80’s metal culture,

Nothing new here… Fr Corapi says that he (Fr C) was present when rock groups would dedicate their music to Satan.

Satan is alive and busy… we must always be on guard.

is that what he did? i was watching the awards the other night, but i think i was paying too much attention to the way he was dressed - he was promoting the new video game he stars in. i heard him say something like he wanted to see the horns and i noticed people in the audience making the devil sign with their hands but i didn’t hear the part about satan.
he tries to shock with his humor and he has always been “out there” and “strange” in my book.
i have enjoyed some of his movies and i always thought he was jewish or part jewish.
anyhow, i am glad i didn’t hear his prayer because the awards show that night was very strange from kanye west to the michael jackson tribute (which i thought was awful and the madonna tribue to michael made me gag) and i realized that i must be getting old, because i thought the whole show was terrible.

You’re right about his intentions, I’m sure. Frankly, I wouldn’t take anything that comes out of Jack Black’s mouth seriously. Everything he says is a joke, but he has a way of saying it with a straight face which makes you wonder if he’s being serious. As 7 Sorrows said, I think he aims to shock with his brand of off-color humor.

That said, for those who genuinely believe in Christ and the existence of the devil, it makes us a bit skiddish to hear people say such things, even in jest.

I have seen this comment several times, but I’ve never seen the primary source. Where and when did Fr. Corapi say this?

I don’t know the answer to your question, but I watched him on EWTN recently and he said the same thing about drug lords. That in the upper echelons there are prayers to Satan asking him to protect the dealers and curse the buyers and authorities.

I have heard him say it different times…one of which would be in his personal story of his journey from childhood, to the bad part of his life, and then on to his conversion back to the faith. There are a few different recordings of this story out there too…

yes, i know who he is and that he was in Tenacious D. he has come a long way in Hollywood. i think it is all part of his schtick to be honest.

Thats what satan wants. For people to make the idea of the devil a joke, that he doesn’t exist making it easier to do his work.
Will people prepare for battle with someone they don’t believe exists?
No enemy no problem.

someone here at CAF has as part of their signature a couple of lines that i believe are from the movie Constatine with Keanu Reeves. one character says that she does not believe in the devil and the character played by Keanu Reeves responds “why not, he believes in you.”

someone here at CAF has two lines from a movie (i believe it is the movie Constatine) as part of their signature.
one of the characters proclaims that she does not believe in the devil. and i believe it is the character played by Keanu Reeves who responds - "why not, he believes in you."
it is a chilling reply.

That makes me think of a quote from Charles Baudelaire (sp?). It goes something like, “The devil’s deepest wile is to persuade us he does not exist.”

Something of which Bishop Sheen often reminded us.

Here is the video where Jack Black officially makes a satanic prayer on national television… he is dead serious

youtube.com/watch?v=dzwmB1ipp5o

Welcome to CAF, bobbydigital! :wave:

I have serious doubts that anything Jack Black does is serious. I had not seen this video clip, but now I’m even more convinced that the whole thing is simply his idea of a joke. He’s dressed up in a goofy muscle man outfit and brandishing a giant plastic battleaxe. I don’t see why he would do that if he was trying to be serious.

I agree that the joke is tactless, offensive, and spiritually naïve. But it’s definitely intended to be a joke.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.