Jaguar escaped from enclosure and killed other zoo animals

Was he that hungry? Poor alpacas, emu and fox.

More likely the hunting instinct took over. I never thought about it before, but handlers do scatter food around for some animals so they don’t get bored. Maybe they need to throw something alive in the enclosure for the big cats to hunt.

I thought the jaguar probably had pent up aggression. I don’t think that’s behavior that happens in the wild.

If you think about it, a jaguar in the wild probably spends all day hunting for food. They have evolved to be constantly on the lookout for an opportunity to attack prey. I don’t know what a zoo does to feed them, but if the animal never gets a chance to do what is natural for it to do, yeah, it will have a lot of pent up aggression.

At least I know lions hunt, kill, eat then sleep.

I would think Jaguars would be similar, except they don’t have a pride.

So this jaguar didn’t equate kill and eat.

Interesting animal behavior.

I read somewhere else a while ago that any domestic animal would overeat if given the food, and that behavior isn’t found in the wild.

It certainly is found among humans. I think cows and dogs too. Cows I think die quicker of bloat, because of the gas their digestive system produces. Somehow, the off switch must have been bred out of them.

They were caged though. I think. Being in zoo they really couldn’t run anywhere. Kind of like shooting fish in a barrel.

I understand what your saying, but can you see the PR nightmare the would create?

Too much chance of an injury for the predators too.

There is a big cat sanctuary that is a day trip from my house. We visited a couple of years ago. They feed them twice a week with meat donated from retailers. The biggest donor was Walmart. They squirt a bunch of fish oil on the meat as a supplement. This meat was trimmed meat for retail sale once so it missing the hide, connective tissue, organs, etc. The fish oil was big gallon jugs with a squirt pump on top. The got it at veterinary supply. I would imagine a zoo would have a bigger budget and not rely so much on donated meat, but I don’t know for sure. They fed them twice a week because that mimics the hunting success rate they have in the wild.

It wasn’t until @F_Marturana posted this article that I gave much thought to how zoos feed their animals. It makes me wonder if we should be keeping them in zoos at all, but in sanctuaries like the one you describe. Maybe if they were better funded, they could be more like the African safari parks with larger animals for the cats to hunt.

This is all pure speculation. I really have no idea how something like that could be made to work. Maybe an Elon Musk or Bill Gates could look into it, because the rest of us for sure couldn’t fund such an endeavor.

One thing that has happened where I live is that due to better environmental regulation standards, the indigenous wildlife in the area that was once abundant, but had long disappeared, is making a slow but steady comeback. We now have hawks, turkeys and coyotes roaming our neighborhoods. We need to keep a closer eye on small pets, but otherwise I think it’s great!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.