Jail terms for faith healing pair

A US couple who prayed rather than seeking medical attention for their dying daughter have been sentenced to six months in jail.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8294225.stm

An interesting way to split the sentence as well:Judge Vincent Howard ordered the couple to serve one month in jail each year for the next six years. One parent will serve the term in March and the other in September.

rossum

I read about this too. That’s so sad… and shocking. I don’t have any children, but I’m pretty sure if I did and one of them passed out my first reaction would be to get them help! Granted, calling an ambulance and then trying to revive my child would coincide with praying all the prayers I could think of, but prayer would not be the only thing I’d be doing. Kinda reminds me of that old joke where a guy is stuck in a flood and a guy in a boat and one in a helicopter and so forth come by to save him and he says “I don’t need your help, God will save me.” And then he dies and gets to Heaven and asks God why he didn’t save him, and God replies “I tried! I sent you a boat, and a helicoptor…” So sad for that girl… I pray she’s on her way to Heaven. :signofcross:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.