Jailed for "insulting Islam," Saudi blogger Raif Badawi goes on a hunger strike [AN]

His wife Ensaf Haidar tweeted the news. Canada granted her and their three children political asylum. Arrested in 2012, he is serving a ten-year sentence and has to receive 1,000 lashes. On Tuesday, he stopped eating. In 2015, he received two major awards for his action in favour of freedom of thought: the Pen Pinter Prize and the Sakharov Prize, the European equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

More…

It’s just a matter of time before this is where our “hate speech” laws take us

sadly you could be right.

:thumbsup:

I don’t know what this man is trying to accomplish. Insulting Muhammad carries a death penalty under Sharia, so in all likelihood they’ll just let him starve. We certainly seen worse from Islamic nations…

I really don’t think the Saudi government will care at all if this guy starves himself to death.

Frankly, when I read about people going on hunger strikes, my normal response is NOT sympathy for the person refusing to eat, but is more along the lines of “let him starve himself to death.” Of course, the punishment of 1,000 lashes is deadly, and perhaps starving is preferable to being whipped to death.

Denise is right to be concerned about the future of our First Amendment. I can’t help but remember that the Second Amendment is the only thing preserving the First Amendment.

Denise is right to be concerned about the future of our First Amendment. I can’t help but remember that the Second Amendment is the only thing preserving the First Amendment.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.