James 1:17 All good from God

All good and every perfect gift from God. James 1:17

Does the above Scritural reference mean that all good, even the good we do, is from God and that somehow we are just cooperating with the grace of God when we do good works?

Georgemiller, in the previous verses, James was explaining that God does not tempt us to sin, but we, ourselves are lured and enticed by our own desires. This is what leads us to sin. Therefore, in my humble opinion, the statement that “all good giving and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights”, means that we should not expect anything evil to arise that God desired or planned for us.
But what you said works for me, too, because just cooperating with His Grace satisfies me
.:slight_smile:

Well, one has to wonder about this, after all, God is the one who designed and created us, so he knew if we were hardwired to sin or not, but he went ahead and created us with this trait anyway, and then is surprised when people do sin…? If a being is created with a particular trait, of course it will effect them and what decisions they make. Any other explanation would not make any sense!

It would be similar to building a computer and using a certain operating system, then after its done, expect the computer to function like it had another type of operating system…what kind of logic is this?

In other words, who creates beings hardwired for sin and giving into desire, then sticks them into a world where sin and temptation are rampant, and expect them to resist any and all sin?

Mikekle, you’re leaving out a big part of the story - Adam and Eve before taking fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. We weren’t hard wired for sin. It came to us as an outside force, working against God’s plan.
I’m no theologian, but I understand that fallen angels from a Heavenly battle, led by Satan, have been trying to thwart God’s plan from the beginning, and since God desires our love for him to be perfect and genuine, He gives us the freedom of choice.
The key point is that He carefully designed for us, a way out of all this mess, through Christ, His Son.

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.