James Longstreet

James Longstreet was a Confederate corps commander. A fever epidemic killed three of his children in 1861, but he went on to become the best military commander on either side of the American Civil War. His military judgment was spot-on, as he recommended against both engagement at Gettysburg and Pickett's Charge. After the war, he became the only former Confederate officer to become a Republican that worked in favor of Reconstruction and African-Americans' rights; and also, a devout convert to Catholicism. Because his views were deemed as treasonous by Southern Democrats, he suffered the most wrath by Southern historians in regards to the American Civil War (for instance, although Pickett's Charge was Lee's plan and Longstreet thought it would be impossible, he was blamed for its failure because the pro-segregation historians deeply loathed him and wanted him as a scapegoat), and died a disgrace among his compatriots.

Longstreet is the very definition of a tragic story, and I respect him because he was one of the few (if not the only) former Confederate that repented of the Confederacy's sins. I just thought I'd share this because I find it inspiring.

Good job. Longstreet is an inspiration in many ways.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.