James van Praagh's show

I don’t know where to place this thread, so mods, please feel free to move it and let me know where it gets properly placed.

My dh (agnostic, but protestant born) said, when the show came on, “I wonder what the Catholics think about mediums?”. I told him that it was most likely against the faith, to speak with those “on the other side”. Although it would be interesting to see if I could get in contact with my mother who passed way in '04… I know it’s more than likely wrong for us Catholics to do.

Am I right? Any websites on this subject?

Personally I have never seen this show or care to see this show but there is a very good response to shows of this type on this link. Hope it helps.
catholic.com/thisrock/2002/0210qq.asp

We are biblically forbidden to participate in exactly what van Praagh does for a living. This is necromancy–calling up spirits from the dead-- and there are several passages in the bible that refer to it. See Dt 18:11-12: Nor charmer, nor any one that consulteth pythonic spirits, or fortune tellers, or that seeketh the truth from the dead. 12 For the Lord abhorreth all these things, and for these abominations he will destroy them at thy coming. Or take a look at Lev 19:31–31 Go not aside after wizards, neither ask any thing of soothsayers, to be defiled by them: I am the Lord your God.

The Catechism makes it clear:
2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

Pray for the repose of your mother’s soul, offer up a Mass for her, and pray for souls in purgatory, by all means. But please do not open yourself up to any sort of divination. It is very spiritually dangerous.

Prayer Warrior: Oh I would never actually do it. But I always wondered where we [Catholics] stand on it. I have not had time to read the Catecism but plan on delving into it in the near future. I’m currently doing a CHSS bible study. It was my husband who was curious how we stand as Catholics on the topic.

You know, the sad thing is that there are lots of Catholics participating in “new age practices” (which are not new, but rather ancient) which they don’t realize are really bad and against Catholic (and biblical) teaching. I’m glad you wanted to investigate the issue and understand that it was your husband who was curious. Sorry if my post seemed accusatory at all, I didn’t mean to. I just get concerned about this sort of thing because I just attended a conference with Jonette Benkovic that really delved into the dangers of these sorts of things. Scary!

God Bless!

Oh I am jealous, you got to a Johnette conference! Hope she comes to Scandinavia sometime. :wink:

Thanks for your concern! And thanks for your reply! :thumbsup:

[SIGN]God bless, and have a nice weekend![/SIGN]

I can’t speak for the Church… but i will share my stand on James, Sylvia and the rest.

They are some of the lowest forms of life, preying on the pain of well meaning people. Making a living on the unknowing confusion of people looking for answers. and they do it with a straight face. all psychic, healers, charmers and readers are the same. charlatans and frauds who need to be called onto the carpet for what they really are.

check out his schtick here…

randi.org/library/coldreading/index.html

sylvia’s info can be found here…

randi.org/sylvia/index.html

Maybe this will explain the church’s position on the occult easily.

americancatholic.org/Newsletters/YU/ay1001.asp

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.