James White Debates

Has James White (Alpha and Omega Ministries) ever “won” any of his debates with leading Catholic Apologists? I just wondered about him since he broke off all family relations with his sister Patty Bonds who became Catholic.
JOhannah

<< Has James White (Alpha and Omega Ministries) ever “won” any of his debates with leading Catholic Apologists? >>

Again, this question? :smiley: OK, the definitive answer by the debate junkie myself :confused:

White clearly wins:

vs. Matatics (1992 on s.s.)
vs. Matatics (1993 on papacy and history Part 2)
vs. Matatics (1996 on Marian doctrines)
vs. Pacwa (1998 on papacy)
vs. Staples (2000 on papal infallibility)
vs. Pacwa (2000 on s.s.)
vs. Stravinskas (2001 on purgatory)

White clearly loses:

vs. Matatics (1992 on eucharist)
vs. Akin (1995 BAM)
vs. Matatics (1997 on s.s.)
vs. Sungenis (2000 on papal infallibility, all 3 parts)

All others are toss ups (including all his Justification debates), could go either way. But I give the slight edge to:

Matatics against White (Dec 1990 papacy)
Matatics against White (Dec 1990 eternal security)
Pacwa against White (Jan 1991 eucharist)
White against Pacwa (Jan 1991 Justification)
Matatics against White (1993 Justification)
Matatics against White (1993 peter/papacy Part 1)
Madrid against White (1993 s.s.)
Staples against White (1996 s.s.)
Sungenis against White (2000 Justification)
Madrid against White (2002 saints)
Michuta against White (2003 OT canon)

I forget if there are others, going from memory. Now that I have them as MP3 I listen to them all the time and many others. :eek:

Phil P

Awesome resource Phil P . Thanks a bunch! :thumbsup:

Yes, thank you very much! :slight_smile:

Phil, may I ask, for both Mr. White and his opponents - how did they win the debates? Was it more on the evidence and logic presented or was it more on their debate tactics and strategy?

LT

<< Phil, may I ask, for both Mr. White and his opponents - how did they win the debates? Was it more on the evidence and logic presented or was it more on their debate tactics and strategy? >>

Evidence, logic, strength, comprehensiveness of one’s own arguments and material, knowledge of and addresses opponents arguments where appropriate, deals with and not ignores or misrepresents the opponent’s arguments, etc. For example, in the 2000 Staples papacy debate, Staples lost in his opening statement (in my opinion) which didn’t address the topic of the debate (history and papal infallibility), and he was playing catch-up through the debate. The Sungenis one a few months later was just the opposite, where Sungenis did a superb job, stayed on topic, was comprehensive, and asked White pointed questions, etc.

Oh yeah I forgot two debates: Sungenis vs. White on eucharist (1999, then later 2003) are toss-ups but I give the edge to Sungenis both times. I just converted the 2003 one from the DV tapes to DVD video with the help of his media person who uploaded a bunch of clips to YouTube. So I still help him behind the scenes, even though I vehemently disagree with him that the earth moves, we evolved, and that Robin Williams is a Gentile. :rolleyes: And here he is (Williams, not Sungenis) :smiley: on YouTube playing the evolution game SPORE. :thumbsup:

Phil P

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.