James Woods Brands New York Gov. ‘Killer Cuomo’ over Nursing Home Scandal

Yes, I know people involved too. Many friends went to NY, some were swamped in the COVID units of hospitals, while a few were sitting in massive field hospitals waiting for patients that never came. But that was my point to Maximus. Despite his intense animosity toward our President that leads him to blame our President for everything, our President mobilized an immense amount of resources for New York.

I am willing, however, to grant Cuomo a little benefit of the doubt. At the beginning of this we thought it was the “black swan” event that would depopulate the globe and crush our hospitals. With that “worse case scenario” in mind I can see someone making the difficult decision to send home the worried-well to their nursing homes in order to keep room in the hospitals for the truly ill.

Again, using a retrospectoscope this was a terrible idea.

Reasonable people can disagree about whether Cuomo should have that benefit of the doubt, but I don’t think any reasonable person would disagree that it’s shameful for the mainstream press to ignore this issue.

This is lawyer speak.

Yes, NH facilities have to agree to accept NEW residents.

But NH facilities cannot eject a resident without cause. After all, it is the resident’s HOME. I believe what the governor did was declare a Covid-19 infection to be insufficient cause for a nursing home to eject (ie: not accept back) a resident.

I think perhaps the Governor left it up to facilities to determine their capability. And I don’t know their capability or really all that goes into evaluating.
I don’t think I was unfair with Trump in this conversation. Trump sent the engineers and ship when asked.
OTHERWIZE, I see nothing objectionable in your post. Lawyer talk is not as depraved to me but it was a legal point.

Nope. He refused to let them refuse covid-19 patients to return to their nursing homes. This is completely and entirely on the Cuomo administration.

YOU blame Trump for everything. Reasonable people see that Cuomo, and many other Democrat governors, made a terrible mistake by sending SARS-CoV-2 patients back to nursing homes.

2 Likes

Quoted NY guideline:

“No resident shall be denied re-admission or admission to the NH solely based on a confirmed or suspected diagnosis of COVID-19,” it reads. “NHs are prohibited from requiring a hospitalized resident who is determined medically stable to be tested for COVID-19 prior to ­admission or readmission.”

Link to NY Post article

Also from the article:

The second problem with Cuomo’s claim is the case of the Cobble Hill Health Center, which lost at least 55 patients to the virus. The CEO, Donny Tuchman, showed reporters April emails where he asked state health officials for assistance, and was turned down. He also asked them if COVID-19 patients he had could be sent instead to the Javits Center or the Navy ship Comfort, both of which were far below capacity. He was rejected again.

2 Likes

But yet it’s Trump’s fault to those with an emotional attachment to their version of reality.

Too bad the leftist media won’t report this. Too busy reporting things like how Russia hacked/stole the election from Hillary I guess.

That isn’t my understanding. The facilities had to determine if they had the capability

I think turned down is misleading at Cobble Hill.
They asked for PPE and there wasn’t any available. At that time first responders were dying because PPE was unavailable if you recall. The city was overtaxed and in trouble at that point in time.
The Navy ship had its own issues with Covid also. The adult care facilities were overwhelmed by infection.

No. As others have posted links proving you wrong. Nursing homes asked the New York dept of health if they could refuse to take covid-19 patients back from hospitals who discharged them and were told no.

Maximus1 on Andew Cuomo’s elder-death fiasco . . .

I think perhaps the Governor left it up to facilities to determine their capability.

No he didn’t.

I have posted the salient section from his executive order numerous times.

Do I need to go find it and put it up again?

This was not Cuomo’s policy. And the examples given all include fact patterns that illustrate a terrible crisis of shortage of PPE and overtaxing of health care workers virtually under assault by infection. I am glad Cuomo ignores the ugly politics.

Boatswain2PA. I will re-find Cuomo’s order and re-post it.

I asked @Maximus1 elsewhere,
if he could at least just admit that Andrew Cuomo’s orders,
ordering KNOWN ACTIVELY INFECTED corona virus patients
INTO nursing homes was stupid.

Maximus1. Can you at least admit THAT was a stupid thing for Andrew Cuomo to do?

Maximus1 couldn’t do it.

Here was Maximus1’s response . . . .

I admit that the Governor has important work yet to do and ignores this ugly politics of an ugly political year. He is a wonderful . . . .

Yeah. Some people just cannot set partisan politics aside.

I give Cuomo the benefit of the doubt. He may have put forth that order/policy in order to keep the hospitals from being crushed. Had we really had 2.2 million deaths, then his order would have been a good idea.

But, with a retrospectoscope, we see that we only have 4% of that, and it was a terrible idea.

2 Likes

Cuomo’s nursing home reversal is too little, too late for those now dead: Goodwin

By Michael Goodwin

May 10, 2020 | 10:43pm | Updated

. . . “No resident shall be denied re-admission or admission to the NH solely based on a confirmed or suspected diagnosis of COVID-19,”
it reads.
“NHs are prohibited from requiring a hospitalized resident who is determined medically stable to be tested for COVID-19 prior to ­admission or readmission.” . . .

And . . .

. . . Worse, the order came without warning, took effect immediately and gave the homes no time to set up segregated beds and staff.

All nursing homes, good and bad, large and small, were treated as if they were fit for an influx of coronavirus patients.

The second problem with Cuomo’s claim is the case of the Cobble Hill Health Center, which lost at least 55 patients to the virus. The CEO, Donny Tuchman, showed reporters April emails where he asked state health officials for assistance, and was turned down. He also asked them if COVID-19 patients he had could be sent instead to the Javits Center or the Navy ship Comfort, both of which were far below capacity. He was rejected again.

It’s true there was one way Albany officials did help beleaguered nursing homes. The packages of equipment they sent included body bags. . . .

But as Maximus1 would tell us. At least Andrew Cuomo’s popularity ratings are good.

1 Like

Unfortunately facts dont matter to those who are emotionally driven.

1 Like

@Boatswain2PA . . .

He may have put forth that order/policy in order to keep the hospitals from being crushed.

Doubtful. (I did that too . . . For awhile.)

I personally know someone (a relative) who was involved with a makeshift hospital (provisional care center) out in New England.

They were not sent these patients.
They sat around mostly empty, while video conferencing about theoreticals, logistics, and other details for up to three hours a day!

And also non corona virus hospital patients were not rotated into these facilities so the actual hospitals could just keep them for the required 14 days or until they re-test negative.

Some of these infected patients were not even re-tested from what I understand.

Andrew Cuomo ordered these known INFECTED patients back INTO the nursing homes (and LTCFs) without regard for the safety of the other patients without regard if they were equipped to handle them or not (you would expect separate wings, trained full staff, special equipment, laminar flow rooms, etc. None of that was considered in Cuomo’s cookie-cutter central planning order.)

Even after he began to get push-back Cuomo resisted. At least until the bad publicity and intense push-back became too much.

But by then, it was too late. Record amounts of deaths materialized under Andrew Cuomo’s watch. (But at least Cuomo is popular).

I have no idea WHY Cuomo would do something this dumb.

He MAY have been pressured by some of the nursing home executives to KEEP the patient$, while OTHER more sober-minded nursing home execs wanted them out.

We just don’t know and he hasn’t said.

It sounds like even state Democrats are demanding an explaination.

Who knows if they will ever get one. And even if they do,
Government in general has a stark LACK of accountability anyway.

1 Like

At the time the news stories talked about health care workers with battle fatigue symptoms and not knowing where to put body bags. My objection is this. Evaluate in context. I get excited when the point of view of retrospect becomes the argument point of evaluation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.