‘Jane Roe’ Says Turn to Anti-Abortion Activism Was ‘All an Act’ in New Documentary

According to the article, it seems the evangelical reverend who initially paid her, Robert Schenk, regrets it (according to wikipedia, he also became pro-choice around 2010).

Huh. Well there goes a favorite talking point of the anti-abortion side of the debate talking about Roe v Wade. Can’t say Roe had a change of heart later in life and regretted having the abortion.

That the minister who paid her off also regrets it is also interesting.

1 Like

Really says a lot about a person who would be willing to put on such a show for money. Unfortunately, there are many other cases of women who have abortions and feel absolutely no guilt afterwards, which is why opposition needs to be based on rational ethics as opposed to emotional appeal.

3 Likes

She never had an abortion. The case wasn’t decided until after she had given birth.

3 Likes

Who knows how she truly felt. She spent a great deal of time professing to be pro-life. She is no longer here to defend her position.

This will probably be unpopular but this reminds me of Abby Johnson, though certainly Johnson is a different story. There are, however, holes in her narrative that make her a problematic hero for me.

2 Likes

I can’t help but feel that Norma McCorvey was exploited by everybody, and by that I mean, everybody, both sides and also before it became an issue. I wouldn’t be surprised if she was pretty angry all around by the time she reached the end of her life.

Anyway, my favorite anti-abortion activist is Julia Holcomb.

1 Like

Norma’s confessor of 22 years says otherwise:

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that this confession was made in 2017 and the pro-choice crowd hadn’t jumped upon it immediately to try to discredit the opposition.

4 Likes

This is a very balanced assessment of this story.

3 Likes

If you Google the main southern Baptist publication from back in 1973:when Roe was issued, the publication praises the upholding of CHOICE. THAT WAS THE PREDOMINANT PROTESTANT POSITION THEN.
They found scripture conveniently a decade later as “Sola Scriptura” revealed " biblical support" for pro LIFE. To me, all those Protestants reading the Bible all those centuries as they opposed the Catholic position, I often wonder how they MISSED IT.
MAYBE THEY IMAGINE THE HOLY SPIRIT ON HOLIDAY AND FINALLY GOT AROUND TO INSPIRING. We will have to ask them.

I almost didn’t click because I couldn’t imagine “very balanced” coming from The American Conservative, lol! But you’re right - the author spares no mercy on pro-choicers or pro-lifers. Activism can be seedy business.

2 Likes

I do feel bad for her.

Most of us live our lives, make mistakes, commit very bad sins at times.

No one really knows about it. Except possibly our confessors or our therapists.

I can’t imagine having to always have my own sins put on display, either pro or against.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Love this article! Are you familiar with the group she runs, New Wave Feminists?

No. I’ll look them up.

1 Like
1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.