Jansenism and the Old Catholic schism

I have read that the Jansenists were given refuge by the Old Catholics.

Could somebody explain how in the world these two groups got together? It just seems so unusual that the Jansenists would have anything to do with the Old Catholics.

I would appreciate some information on this.

Thank you!

I would have thought that that would have been just as likly for Jospeh Stalin to house a Pope and hould a Christmas mass in red square. Where did you hear this? I have a hard time beleiveing what I am reading.

[quote=Montie Claunch]I would have thought that that would have been just as likly for Jospeh Stalin to house a Pope and hould a Christmas mass in red square. Where did you hear this? I have a hard time beleiveing what I am reading.
[/quote]

*How did the Liberal Catholic Church come into existence? *The Liberal Catholic Church sprang from the Dutch Old Catholic Church. The Dutch Church became separated from Rome after giving refuge to a group of accused heretics called Jansenists, who were being persecuted by the Jesuits. The Dutch Church later began to be called "Old Catholic” when other European Catholic Churches joined with it as a result of the “new” dogma of Papal Infallibility declared in the First Vatican Council. The Liberal Catholic Church came into existence as the result of a complete reorganization in 1917-1918 of the Old Catholic movement in Great Britain upon a more liberal basis.
This is from www.liberalcatholic.org/about/faq.asp.

Does anyone else know about why the Old Catholics would give refuge to the Jansenists?

Thanks for your help with this!

[quote=GoLatin]Does anyone else know about why the Old Catholics would give refuge to the Jansenists?
[/quote]

From what I can tell, the groups had at least two things in common:
[list]
*]Rejection of Papal Infallibility and Authority
*]Extreme hatred for the Jesuits
[/list]Furthermore, it seems that the first wholly “Old Catholic” bishop was elected after their second congress in 1873 and consecrated by a Jansenist bishop.

This comes from www.newadvent.com, under the heading of Old Catholics. There is also a section of Jansenism, but it is much more difficult to understand.

Heresy and schism make for strange bedfellows. I would supposed their opposition to the True Church united them more than any doctrine issues they had with each other. It is sort of like those Protestants that claim solidarity with the Albigensians or Catharists. Other than their disobedience to the Catholic Church and argueing agains the Church with Scripture (or an unreasonable facsimile thereof), their doctrines are very much opposed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.