January 3 -- the First Saturday of 2009

I just remembered that this coming Saturday, January 3 is the first Saturday in January.

For those who may not know, there is something important we can do called the “First Saturday Devotion”. This site explains it nicely…

memorare.com/mary/firstsat.html

As you can see from the site, the devotion involves doing 4 things on every First Saturday for 5 consecutive months (if you start today, the dates will be January 3, February 7, March 7, April 4, and May 2 --> and it will end in the month of May, the month of our Blessed Mother).

The devotion involves doing the following on five consecutive First Saturdays, with the specific intention of making reparation for certain offenses (see the second list below) against the Blessed Virgin. The following is what we are asked to do:

[LIST=1]
*]Go to Confession (within 8 days before or after the first Saturday)
*]Receive Holy Communion
]Recite five decades of the Rosary
]“Keep me company for fifteen minutes while meditating on fifteen mysteries of the Rosary” (separate from the Rosary itself)
[/LIST]

*Preferably done in the presence of the Lord in the Tabernacle or at Exposition)

The purpose of doing this is to establish devotion (in accordance with God’s wishes) to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, and to make reparation for the following:

[LIST=1]
*]Attacks upon the reality of Mary’s Immaculate Conception
*]Attacks against her the reality of Mary’s Perpetual Virginity
*]Attacks upon Mary’s Divine Maternity and the refusal to accept her as the Mother of all mankind
*]Those who try to publicly implant in children’s hearts indifference, contempt and hatred for Immaculate Mary
*]For those who insult Mary directly in her sacred images
[/LIST]

Anyone who does the First Saturday Devotion faithfully is promised the following:

[LIST=1]
*]The Virgin Mary’s assistance at the hour of death with the graces necessary for salvation for those who practice the devotion
*]Salvation of souls and peace as a result of promoting of the Devotion to the Immaculate Heart
[/LIST]

Ok, well, if we start in January we can finish in May…

Cheers !

Here’s an update with the title changed, for February 7.

Is there a rule against posting like this, btw ?

I don’t wish to force my devotions on others, but at the same time, maybe one of you will find this worthwhile…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.