Japan Stops Cancer Vaccines (Gardasil, Cervarix) Against HPV

My understanding is that HPV is serious matter. It can cause cervical cancer, head and neck cancer, anal cancer. Pap smears for women are useful. Avoiding fornication and staying faithful to one’s spouse are really effective against HPV. If husband and wife only have sex with each other, and none is infected to begin with, they will be safe from the danger of contracting HPV.

Now, the Japanese government came to the conclusion that the risks (side-effects) of Gardasil and Cervarix vaccines (anti-HPV vaccines aimed to prevent HPV-associated cancers) may outweigh their possible benefits, in the fight against HPV. They no longer recommend vaccination of girls with these vaccines, until more studies are conducted.

Japanese science and medicine are very advanced. We should pay attention to their opinions.

from standardmedia.co.ke/lifestyle/article/2000088338/japan-stops-cancer-vaccines-as-who-put-in-sharp-focus :

Japan stops cancer vaccines as World Health Organization put in sharp focus
Updated Sunday, July 14th 2013

Japanese government has withdrawn administration of vaccines against Human Papillomavirus ( HPV) in Kitui as the World Health Organisation ( WHO) faces stinging criticism. Japan has cited adverse effects including infertility, long-term pain, numbness and paralysis. The vaccines, Gardasil and Cervarix, were being given to schoolgirls aged between 11 and 14 in Kitui. Four strains of the HPV, out of more than 100 types, are associated with cervical cancer although there has never been conclusive proof of a link between HPV infection and development of cervical cancer. In effect, the Japanese ministry of Health is saying quite categorically that it has no faith in Gardasil and Cervarix. In contrast, Kenya’s ministry of Health says the same HPV vaccines are safe and effective. The Japanese government has advised local authorities to stop promoting vaccination of girls with Gardasil and Cervarix until more studies are conducted.

from southweb.org/lifewise/the-lead-vaccine-developer-comes-clean-so-she-can-sleep-at-night-gardasil-and-cervarix-dont-work-are-dangerous-and-werent-tested/#comment-17217 :

The Lead Vaccine Developer Comes Clean So She Can “Sleep At Night”: Gardasil And Cervarix Don’t Work, Are Dangerous, And Weren’t Tested
Published On: Sat, Jun 22nd, 2013

At the time of writing, 44 girls are officially known to have died from these vaccines. The reported side effects include Guillian Barré Syndrome (paralysis lasting for years, or permanently — sometimes eventually causing suffocation), lupus, seizures, blood clots, and brain inflammation. Parents are usually not made aware of these risks.

Dr. Harper, the vaccine developer, claimed that she was speaking out, so that she might finally be able to sleep at night.

“About eight in every ten women who have been sexually active will have H.P.V. at some stage of their life. Normally there are no symptoms, and in 98 per cent of cases it clears itself. But in those cases where it doesn’t, and isn’t treated, it can lead to pre-cancerous cells which may develop into cervical cancer.” - Dr. Diane Harper

Interesting article. Thank you for posting.

My son recently had to go for a menegitis shot and they were pushing the HPV shot saying it was going to be required here i the US in the near future. I declined politely and the nurse kept insisting. I then had to say it more “forcefully” and she backed off. I have a bad feeling about this vaccine. I was surprised they wanted to give it to him as he is a boy. The nurse said for “anal cancer” in boys. Seems odd and in reading all the studies throughout the years I have had a negative gut feeling about this shot.

I have heard horrible things about the shot. And the idea that young girls (and boys) would be required to get it even before they are sexually active is a very bad idea.

Also, to work as they originally said it would, you needed to have a series of 3 shots. Many people don’t realize that, let their child get one shot and then never go back. SO those girls have all the dangers of the vaccine and none of the supposed benefits.

Smart.

If husband and wife only have sex with each other, and none is infected to begin with, they will be safe from the danger of contracting HPV.

I’m not sure this is wholly true, though it’s probably largely true. HPV causes warts, genital and otherwise. Genital contact may be the most likely way to spread genital warts. But there are other ways to get warts, and it doesn’t seem unreasonable that some of those strains could be transferred to the genitals. I occasionally get warts on my hands or feet. One probably transferred to the other. Fortunately, I’ve never had it spread beyond that. The question would be whether any of those other ways can result in contracting an HPV strain related to cervical cancer.

HPV causes both the warts on your fingers as the warts on your genitalia. There are roughly 20+ strains of HPV; most of them are not cancer causing. Furthermore, the odds of developing cervical cancer from HPV are fairly slim.

However, outside of the Developed World, cervical cancer is close to being the number one cause of death among women. It is also the only cancer (so far as I know) that is 100% curable if caught in time.

It is virtually impossible to avoid coming into contact with HPV. It’s typically thought of as sexually transmitted, but there needn’t be any actual sex involved. It can transfer from skin to skin contact. My understanding is that wrestlers commonly contract it (they get a lot of warts, which are blamed on “the mats.” :shrug: )

Regardless, I can’t speak to the safety of the vaccines. My daughters got it. My son will, too.

An evasive way of saying you need to vaccinate your son so he can engage in anal intercourse.

This is incorrect, as was the nurse’s reasoning.

the reason it is being recommended for boys is to help prevent spread to girls.

[RIGHT][/RIGHT]

HPV is a cause of anal cancer, transmitted via anal intercourse. You can look it up on medical websites.

Of course, yes, boys with HPV can also transmit it to girls through vaginal intercourse.

I am an infectious disease physician. I don’t need to google my medical information on common viruses.

I did not say the medical basis was wrong, just your leap of logic. Suggesting someone get the vax as an endorsement of anal sex is taking quite a leap.

In regard to the OP and the response by Japan, considering how their government botched their Hep B and C response I would not be overly impressed with their response on this either.

Isn’t this the same country that stopped requiring the MMR vaccine and is now the only developed country in the world with rubella and mumps outbreaks.

Cases of rubella in japan 2012: 2,535
Cases of rubella in US 2012: 9

Cases of mumps in japan 2012: 71,549
Cases of mumps in US 2012: 229

Above from the WHO. I wouldn’t say they are that advanced when it comes to vaccines.

Actually it makes more sense to get it before they become sexually active.

And the US has about 3 times the population of Japan…

Yes, because boys who get the vaccine will grow up to be practicing homosexuals. :shrug:

Men can also contract it from women.

Your statement is misleading by focussing **solely **on homosexual relations. Further, you presume do know the nurse’s intentions, but you don’t.

HPV is easily contracted by anyone (however innocently), and boys can be carriers, and can infect females. HPV is implicated in multiple conditions beyond cervical cancer.

Yes, that’s my point too.

HPV can be spread without intercourse and it can be spread even if condoms are used. It is skin to skin contact, not necessarily genital to genital contact. Mothers who have HPV can give it to their children at birth. I’m still undecided about the vaccine, though.

Do you have doubts about all vaccines, or just this particular one? What are your concerns?

Actually, yes I do have concerns about all vaccines. My oldest got severely ill after his MMR. He ended up in the hospital with encephalitis at 15 months old–Christmas Eve. I was told by the doctors to say good bye because he wouldn’t survive. Praise Jesus he did and is now 20 and doing well after years and years of therapy (speech, occupational and physical). He has a medical exemption to all future MMR vaccines. My youngest is 9 months now, but she had milder (considered moderate by her pediatrician) to her DTaP. We ended up in the ER with her having seizures. I do vaccinate my children. All 8 are up to date on all required vaccines plus flu shot. Only those two reactions out of the hundreds of shots my family has received. I do, however, think that we need to be cautious about what we allow doctors to do to our kids.

Vaccines save millions of lives, but they do have very real risks. I technically don’t need to vaccinate because I homeschool, but I feel for most illnesses the benefits FAR EXCEED any and all risks. Not so sure about this vaccine yet.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.