Japan to have first Catholic prime minister?

Catholic World News take on this.

And here is the AP story.

The next Prime Minister of Japan may be a Catholic!

I bet this is driving my ex-wife absolutely bonkers. She divorced me because I converted to the Catholic Church from atheism. The most memorable thing she said about my conversion what that she did not “want to breath the same air” as a Christian.

She had actually fled to Japan and divorced me from overseas. She said at least there she could get away from Christians.

Silver spoon
Aso, a Catholic, is popular among the young because he does not hesitate to say that he likes comic books and cartoon films. He once said on television that he reads 10 to 15 comic magazines every week. Less well known among young voters is that he was born with a ultra-silver spoon in his mouth. His family pedigree may surprise some people as it reflects much of Japan’s modern history.

Aso's great-great-grandfather is Toshimitsu Okubo, one of the men who  																	contributed to opening up Japan by downing Tokugawa Shogunate during the Meiji  																	Restoration in the late 19th century. Even opposition DPJ leader Ichiro Ozawa,  																	66, cites Okubo as one of his most-respected historical characters. Aso's  																	grandfather is the late prime minister Shigeru Yoshida, the most powerful  																	post-World War II leader who conducted postwar reconstruction. His  																	father-in-law was the late prime minister Zenko Suzuki. 																	

Aso's younger sister got married to the eldest son of Imperial Highnesses  																	Prince and Princess Mikasa, the current emperor's uncle and aunt. Beside those  																	well-known figures, also related by marriages are Prince Fumimaro Konoe,  																	Morihiro Hosokawa, Nobusuke Kishi and Shinzo Abe - all former prime ministers.  																	Aso headed his family's 130-year-old company, Aso Cement Company, now called  																	Lafage Aso Cement Company, from 1973 to 1979. In 1976, he participated in  																	shooting competition in the Montreal Olympics. 																	

atimes.com/atimes/Japan/JI24Dh02.html

Righteous!

A lot of us don’t know in the West but Japan has a lot of Catholic martyrs. :signofcross:

Yep. And my ex-wife, who is Japanese, does not think there are enough. :mad:

Not that I am bitter or anything.

rpp have you prayed for her conversion? If not are you willing to try even a chaplet of Divine Mercy? Maybe your prayers are the tool God needs to soften her heart so she can know Him. Maybe thats the ultimate reason why you had come into each other`s life so you both could find Him. I think of the words of Our Lady of Fatima that so many go to hell because they have no one to pray and offer sacrifices for them.

Secondly and you can say no to answering this but Im just wondering if you know where she got so much (it seems) hate for Catholics from? I mean since since Catholics are a tiny minority the average Japanese doesnt usually have a chance to meet or befriend a Catholic let alone a chance to develop a real hatred. There are some Catholic haters though and Ive met a couple but they were members of a cult so it was easy to see where the hate came from.

It is rather presumptuous of you to think that I have not prayed for her conversion. I have. Enough said.

Secondly and you can say no to answering this but Im just wondering if you know where she got so much (it seems) hate for Catholics from? I mean since since Catholics are a tiny minority the average Japanese doesnt usually have a chance to meet or befriend a Catholic let alone a chance to develop a real hatred. There are some Catholic haters though and Ive met a couple but they were members of a cult so it was easy to see where the hate came from.

Japanese public school was the source. Anti-Christian attitudes are fairly rampant in Japan. As is racism. While my ex-wife rejected racism, as an agnostic/atheist, she did not much care for Buddhism either. But Christianity, especially because of the several centuries when Japan was completely closed to foreigners, has a special place.

Oddly enough, her mother is a Buddhist and her sister was a Protestant Christian.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.