Japanese corporations cut workday to boost birth rate

Tokyo, Jan 26, 2009 / 08:49 pm (CNA).- Japanese electronics giant Canon and other, seeking to boost Japan’s flagging birth rate, now allows employees to leave early twice a week to encourage them to have more children.

Source

How much time does that equate to?

Anyway - interesting.

a little afternoon delight, good idea
somebody posted info on these boards recently on devastating population pressure in Japan advocating severe family planning policies, sounds like the experts need to talk to each other.

Considering the incrediably long hours that Japenese ‘office workers’ regularly put in, this program means they are leaving at the end of a regular work day instead of at 10pm. I do hope it helps to raise their birth rate, but there probably are still many strong counter-pressures like the cost of housing (larger families needing larger apartments, etc)

The results of A Cross-National Study of Subjective Sexual Well-Being among Older Women and Men: Findings from the Global Study of Sexual Attitudes and Behaviors reveal that Japanese are the least satisfied with sex.

Although I’m sure that overwork partly contributes to their sexual dysfunction, I believe something greater is causing the problem. My opinion is that no amount of extra time off from work can solve the low birth rate.

Why are western countries more sexually satisfied than eastern countries? It must be a collection of counter pressures and negative ideologies counterintuitive to sexual satisfaction and reproduction.

Anyone else find it comical that this was proposed as a solution to a declining birthrate? Of all the considerations to make when discussing children, I don’t think scheduling time to do the deed as even being on the radar. The problems of finances/space/health/supportive environment (since 1 child is the norm) are FAR more pressing. Of course it is great that they are giving employees more much needed family time- but I don’t think it will lead to more babies. But I’ve been wrong before :shrug:

Hmm. I wonder if Nancy Pelosi has read about this?

I think you’re right.

Ridiculous and comical!

Typically the average deed takes about 3 – 10 minutes. This includes satisfaction for both parties. This does not include the somewhat important interlude before the deed which on the average lasts about 20 or so minutes. That 20 minute preparation interlude could be replaced by anticipation of both parties throughout the work day or commute on the way home. What I mean is that if he and she are thinking about it at times throughout the day they are likely to come together like kissing, clashing magnets before the door barely closes behind them. Does there even need to be a door to close behind them? Factually – no.
There is something more than work and time coming between Japanese men and women.

Quite possibly, that’s mother-in-law :wink: - I have read it is not uncommon for young couples to live with their parents in Japan. That was a while ago though, and I don’t know if that’s still the case.

we lived with my parents when we were first married- it’s called creativity;)
[size=]not really that much different then the creativity needed when you already have 3 children, they just don’t what you are doing, YET!![/size]

As one commentator stated after the article:

"What use is this initiative, if they are all on contraception or visit an aboriton clinic afterwards?? Governments are failing to acknowledge the real cause of the frighteningly low birthrate. So are the people.

Everyone wants to have their cake and eat it. A country can’t have both abortion and contraception and a healthy birthrate. Why, oh why doesn’t the Catholic Church have a word in the ear of the Prime Minister? It could benefit both the Church in Japan and secure Japan’s future. I think it’s time the Church had a new politicaly savvy Cardinal Richelieu!! "

Does this mean that the US can expect more immigrants in the next 20 or so years?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.