Japan's Unprecedented Warning To UK Over Brexit

news.sky.com/story/japans-unprecedented-warning-to-uk-over-brexit-10564585

**Japan’s Unprecedented Warning To UK Over Brexit

At the start of the G20 Summit, the Japanese government has taken the unprecedented step of warning of a series of corporate exits, “great turmoil” and harmful effects if Brexit leads to the loss of single market privileges.

An official Japanese government task force on Brexit, has collated views of big Japanese companies from car companies to banks and pharmaceutical companies that invest in the UK.

It has produced a 15-page list titled “Japan’s message to the UK and the EU”, detailing requirements from Brexit negotiations.

It lists the consequences if the requirements are not delivered.

Half of Japanese investment in the EU comes to the UK including companies such as Nissan, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nomura and Daiwa.**

May said only the other day that immigration/freedom of movement was the UK’s red line - effectively indicating that she was going to pursue “hard Brexit” and leave the Single Market.

And then she told the press that the UK would have “hard times ahead”.

:shrug:

Is Japan getting ready to flex its military muscles again also ?

I don’r see why they would do that. Their economic muscle should be enough to scare anyone.

"PM Shinzo Abe warned of some of this ahead of the Brexit vote in a joint press conference with then-Prime Minister David Cameron.

UK officials reacted with astonishment that Japan had chosen to publish this list of concerns and demands.

PM Theresa May is likely to meet Mr Abe later this month in New York."

I bet many are wishing for a do over.

I suspect Japan’s attempt at bullying the Brits could well have the opposite effect. Most people don’t like being pushed around. I imagine some patriotic Brits who opposed Brexit are taken aback by it.

It’s funny coming from Japan, which has a history of racism and xenophobia worse than that of America. If Trump were running for president of Japan, and gave the “build a wall, deport 'em all” spiel, the Japanese people would respond, “…and then?”

The Japanese have every right to express their concern about the future of their investments.

Brexiters have every right to get cross about other people not going along with the script, of course, but there you are.

Has the PM said that she wants to end free trade/impose tariffs on the EU countries or Japan? I doubt that she has.

Hard or soft Brexit is a question of ‘mechanics’ and trading rules.

And this is the EU using Japan as part of their negotiating strategy, smart move on their part.

I will await your exposition of the facts (which matter, obviously) behind this awful conspiracy by the naughty EU, with bated breath. As to what your comment has to do with the ‘mechanics’ of Brexit and trading rules, I’m sure you’ll describe the technicalities and their relationship to the Japanese at your leisure.

Apparently, yes, that’s exactly what’s happening. With regards to China and North Korea, that is.

Japan approves record-high budget, focusing on defense, economic recovery

Japanese Government Urges Another Increase in Military Spending

True.

East Asian countries, China, Japan and Korea are extremely racist.

England trade will be fine because new deals will help everyone. This is about stopping immigration and sending billions of dollars to the EU to waste on welfare countries who refuse to change their ways in order to help themselves. SO far England is doing quite well and much better than people expected. Both sides need the trade and neither can do without the other but the EU will take a much bigger hit than England will from this. The EU is a failed social experiment and needs to be buried. I will never understand why people fear nationalism. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you treat your neighbors fairly and respectfully.

What new deals? With whom? When?

This is about stopping immigration and sending billions of dollars to the EU to waste on welfare countries who refuse to change their ways in order to help themselves.

Neither of which were on the ballot paper and, well, we don’t use dollars and, well, we have ‘welfare’ as well and, well, EU contributions didn’t go to pay for welfare, anyway.

SO far England is doing quite well and much better than people expected.

People expected the situation to be worse because the then Prime Minister had been talking about giving immediate notice to the EU, he didn’t and resigned. So, we’re still full members of the EU, haven’t informed the EU that we’re leaving and haven’t the slightest idea of what leaving actually means - the Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union (who really ought to know) made a statement about the ‘Single Market’ to the House of Commons yesterday, only to be contradicted by the Prime Minister today. The Prime Minister has also said that the immigration plan that the Leave campaign was talking about (points system) prior to the referendum is nonsense.

Both sides need the trade and neither can do without the other but the EU will take a much bigger hit than England will from this.

Your evidence for this is what, exactly? Have you the slightest understanding of the mechanics of all this?

The EU is a failed social experiment and needs to be buried.

Which is a political slogan about as relevant as ‘the USA is a failed . . .’

I will never understand why people fear nationalism. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you treat your neighbors fairly and respectfully.

I think you should ponder the second sentence in the light of European history, it might help you in the lack of understanding you expressed in the first.

Yup, new trade agreements will be made to replace the old.

If the EU had focused on the big picture issues rather than micromanaging the detail in every member state, it would have worked quite well.

What were they ‘micromanaging’?

Maybe they’ll move their companies to Ireland. :smiley:

As the saying goes:-

An Apple a day, keeps the tax man away! :wink:

If you were interested, here’s an article that will get you started on the concept.
EU Regulations: “Dictatorship of the Bureaucrats”?

I’d rather hoped for something more than the moans of some American Conservative think-tank.

As far as vacuum cleaners are concerned you can read more here.

Part of the development of the single market has been about the standardisation - a ‘Class 1’ cucumber from Hungary should be the equivalent of a ‘Class 1’ cucumber from Spain, for example. I can appreciate this may seem horrific to an American but, to most Europeans, it hardly qualifies as ‘micromanagement’.

I await more of your expertise, however.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.