Jared Kushner Named as Senior White House Adviser to Donald Trump

nytimes.com/2017/01/09/us/jared-kushner-senior-adviser-white-house-trump.html

*Jared Kushner will become a senior White House adviser to his father-in-law, Donald J. Trump, cementing the New York real estate executive’s role as a powerful and at times decisive influence on the president-elect.

Mr. Trump described his son-in-law as “a tremendous asset and trusted adviser throughout the campaign and transition” in a statement early Monday evening announcing the appointment.

Mr. Kushner, who married Mr. Trump’s daughter Ivanka in 2009, is closer to Mr. Trump than any other adviser, and has provided input on all of his father-in-law’s hiring decisions.

“The main thing with Jared,” a transition official said, “is that he’s got Trump’s back and Trump knows it.”*

nep·o·tism
nepəˌtizəm
noun
the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

I don’t really care about that sort of thing to be honest. And JFK made one of his family members his Attorney General.

which led to the nepotism laws in the 60’s.

I also have no problem with it as long as he doesn’t get paid and all of his family assets (his, Ivanka’s, and their children’s) are divested and the proceeds but in a trust that he and Ivanka have no input to. That will eliminate any conflicts of interest, insider trading, or potential profiteering (intentional or accidental). It would protect him and Ivanka from lawsuits and criminal prosecutions.

As if Jared kushner can’t find a job on his own merit.

One of this status? Nope

Nepotism laws don’t apply to positions like senior advisor.

a.k.a. All in the Family.

I know little of nepotism laws; I was mostly joking around :stuck_out_tongue:

I think those who question this are forgetting that Donald Trump thinks, after numerous attempts by others, that it is his son-in-law who is the one who can bring peace to the middle east after thousands of yrs of off and on unrest.

politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2016/11/trump-jared-kushner-broker-middle-east-peace-231759

Odds of all that happening?

Trump is grooming the Son-in-Law to be a future President of the United States. :bigyikes:

Realistically, if Trump wants the advice of his son-in-law he is going to ask for it and get it regardless of him being an official “senior white house adviser” or not. At least this way the American people know about it. Its not like this is a cabinet position. I am not seeing the big deal.

It’s only a big deal because it’s Trump.

:thumbsup:

Yes,that is my understanding too

Of coarse.

Are you saying no republican would care if Hillary appointed Marc Mezvinsky to the same position? I think that both Donald and Hillary are similar in the sense that they both seem to think that the rules that apply to us ordinary citizens don’t apply to them. I know nothing of nepotism laws, but the optics of this appointment are not good in my opinion.

What rule is there that you can’t have a family member as an advisor or member of WH staff?

In the spirit of looking on the bright side, at least the appointment is an official one and therefore public.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.