Jean Vanier?

I was listening to Canadian radio and the person interviewed Jean Vanier. Have any of you read his books? WHat he had to say was interesting and thought provoking.

Jean Vanier is a gifted, holy man. Very inspiring, very humble.

He started L’arche-communities for dev. disabled persons.
the concept is that they live within a community, in homes.like ours, with their advocates and caretakers who live among them. They are not isolated and kept away from mainstream society.They are located around the globe.
He has written quite a few books. Henri Nouwen and others have been and are great friends of Jean’s.

If it was the show 'Eternity" that you viewed he his talking about his latest work Drawn into the Mystery of Jesus Through the Gospel of John. (Paulist Press) It is EXCELLENT! It is done in meditative prose, which alot of his writings are similarily written in that manner.

Magdaline, thank-you. What I heard was impressive. I just receieved the brochure and am going to buy a few books.

[quote=magdaline]Jean Vanier is a gifted, holy man. Very inspiring, very humble.

He started L’arche-communities for dev. disabled persons.
the concept is that they live within a community, in homes.like ours, with their advocates and caretakers who live among them. They are not isolated and kept away from mainstream society.They are located around the globe.
He has written quite a few books. Henri Nouwen and others have been and are great friends of Jean’s.

If it was the show 'Eternity" that you viewed he his talking about his latest work Drawn into the Mystery of Jesus Through the Gospel of John. (Paulist Press) It is EXCELLENT! It is done in meditative prose, which alot of his writings are similarily written in that manner.
[/quote]

I second that. The book is excellent and awe-inspiring! And Jean Vanier is holy and so humble…and french even! :smiley:

Christ is risen…truly He is risen!
Shoshana

Shoshana, thank you for weighing in. I have two books picked out. :slight_smile:

[quote=Lilyofthevalley]Magdaline, thank-you. What I heard was impressive. I just receieved the brochure and am going to buy a few books.
[/quote]

Lily,
do you ever get Boston Catholic TV (BCTV)? He has been doing a series on it…sometimes I tune in around 11am or so not sure…but he is on it! He’s wonderful…I read a book by him years ago…can’t remember…have to go check…:slight_smile:

[quote=Lilyofthevalley]Shoshana, thank you for weighing in. I have two books picked out. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Which ones, Lily?

Christ is risen…truly he is risen!
Shoshana

Lily,

The name of the book was…are you ready for this??? "Be Not Afraid"
he wrote it in 1975! :smiley: Now to re-order it on Amazon… I had completely forgotten about it…and that this was indeed the man who had written it! I read the book when I was going through some really terrible times w/ my anxiety disorder…

[quote=Annunciata]Lily,

The name of the book was…are you ready for this??? "Be Not Afraid"
he wrote it in 1975! :smiley: Now to re-order it on Amazon… I had completely forgotten about it…and that this was indeed the man who had written it! I read the book when I was going through some really terrible times w/ my anxiety disorder…
[/quote]

Hi Annunciata,

I had a much beloved friend who was much older than I was and she told me that if I could get my hands on his books, to do so as he is a very holy man. You can feel that in his newest book…trhis much beloved friends died a few years ago but I have never forgotten her advice.:nope:

I also tell my spiritual director of different books that I read so he can buy them for himself. Although he doesn’t read them himself! :frowning:

Jean Vanier’s parents are up for canonization. his father was a governor-general of Canada.:dancing:

Christ is risen…truly He is risen!
Shoshana

Yes Sho… he is indeed a very holy man!..his book helped me so much at that very desparate time in my life!
I just checked my BCTV Guide and it is Fridays @ 11:30 am that his 13 part series called “Knowing Eternity” airs. You know I always have EWTN on…once in a while I flick channels and more than a few times I happened on Jean Vanier’s program…I didn’t make the connection other than I felt like the Lord was speaking to me…:smiley: Praise God!
Thanks for starting this thread Lily!

Thanks for starting this thread Lily!

:thumbsup:
I wish I could get that station Annunciata! I mostly get Canadian stations. :slight_smile: I am reallllllly far north!
I am looking to get:“Daily Readings with Jean Vanier” and “Made For Happiness:discovering the meaning of life with Aristotle”

Knowing Eternity is aired on EWTN on Tuesday evenings.

[quote=magdaline]Knowing Eternity is aired on EWTN on Tuesday evenings.
[/quote]

What time? I’m Eastern…

After I posted that I relaized it is actually our Catholic station, which airs EWTN, and other things.

Anyway, its at 6:30 PM PDT

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.