Jedi church says new Star Wars film leading to boom in followers

More than a thousand people a day are signing up as members of the Church of Jediism, leading figures in the organisation said

The new Star Wars film may have already broken all records for advance ticket sales, but the cinema trade is not the only industry to have benefited from the return of the franchise after a ten-year absence.

Leading figures in the Church of Jediism, the religion inspired by the fictional warriors who battle against the Dark Side, have told The Daily Telegraph that the group is signing up more than a thousand new members a day, as excitement builds ahead of tomorrow’s launch of Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/12048428/Jedi-church-says-new-Star-Wars-film-leading-to-boom-in-followers.html

How did that Sammy Davis Jr. song go, “There are a million pigeons willing to be hooked on a new religion!”? Or something like that. :shrug:

Probably just atheists that are messing around. I’m actually currently watching the original Star Wars :smiley:

Pretty sure that’s exactly what it is. The Non-Religious, Atheists, and just people who generally think religion is hokey or a joke.

If I were still atheist, the Flying Spaghetti Monster would appeal more to me. More appetizing. :slight_smile: :smiley:

Especially when being blessed by His Noodly Appendage, annointed with pesto of course.

If I were atheist I’d definitely want to gravitate toward the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster if just to wear the colander on my head during a drivers license photo.

I personally think the idea of the spaghetti monster is gross. Maybe I’m tired of pasta sauce getting slung everywhere by the toddler. Much more fun to wear robes, though the colander would be fun.

:thumbsup: Star Wars is great; however, I am very annoyed with these people for starting a new Jedi religion, for the simple reason that EVERYONE with ANY sense knows that Star Wars is based on Christian ideas and that if the good Star Wars characters were real the majority of them would all be Christians, and all of them in heart, if not religious-minded - in principle they’d be Christians. :p:)

Well I’ve got a really nice Lightsaber replica too so I could go either way were I atheist. Maybe be multi-“religious” and be a Spaghetti Jedi? I mean Spaghetti monsters have to look a little like Jabba the Hutt after all.

The comparison between a spaghetti monster and Jabba is only apt if the spaghetti monster is uncooked and still in the packaging, because Jabba maybe be splodge-like, but his form is at the least self-contained, unlike spaghetti, which is no doubt flailing everywhere.

I look forward to seeing the movie eventually, but it looks the followers of the Jedi faith are in for a rude awakening. Based on the incredible media and marketing hype surrounding this film, I’m beginning to see that the Force is actually the Disney Corporation.

Well, if it anything as good as the Cinderella Disney film by Kenneth Branagh, then the scenery and special effects will be incredible. Okay, Cinderella isn’t Star Wars, yet…the force will be with them anyway, so we don’t need to worry.

(If only there as a light-saber emoticon to use now)…

freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sw018.gif

I think Star Wars is based more on Zen Buddhism than Christianity.

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.