Jehovah's Whitness Apologetics

I have been meeting with some Jehovah’s Whitnesses, and I am looking for some resources for research. I have used the Catholic Ex JW site, and have just about exhausted the resources there.

Does anyone have any suggestions for resources, or any suggestions for how to talk to them? I would also welcome some arguements from those who are familiar with the subject. I would like to tackle this by showing scriptures which contradict their position.

[quote=e-catholic]I have been meeting with some Jehovah’s Whitnesses, and I am looking for some resources for research. I have used the Catholic Ex JW site, and have just about exhausted the resources there.

Does anyone have any suggestions for resources, or any suggestions for how to talk to them? I would also welcome some arguements from those who are familiar with the subject. I would like to tackle this by showing scriptures which contradict their position.
[/quote]

Nothing to offer but prayers! Good luck and God be with you!

[quote=EsclavoDeCristo]Nothing to offer but prayers! Good luck and God be with you!
[/quote]

Thank You,:slight_smile:

[quote=e-catholic]I have been meeting with some Jehovah’s Whitnesses, and I am looking for some resources for research. I have used the Catholic Ex JW site, and have just about exhausted the resources there.

[/quote]

Hi e-c,
I am also meeting w/ JWs almost every week.
They came to my house and I welcomed them for about 25 years.

we discussed every subject they chose, but I always brought them back to Who Jesus Christ is , what He does…
After all these years they finally quit coming.
I think they decided they were talking to a fence post. :slight_smile:

Now I am going to them.
I have a personal interest in JWs
Most of them are baptized catholics .

Your best resources is
Ask The Holy Spirit to Guide you
The New Covenant
Christ’s Offer
Romans 12: 1
at the Altar.

Rev. 11: 1

gusano

Thank You Gusano. I am surprised that these JW’s continued to come for 25 years. Many times when they realize that they aren’t getting anywhere, or you start to have an affect on their thinking they will stop coming. Were these many different people over the years? Do you know if you ever planted a seed which grew into them leaving the group? Also, how do you go to them now?

Thanks for sharing, and I would love to hear any other suggestions that you might have.

The best way to deal with a JW is in love and by demonstrating your love for them. Ask them questions that you know they have no answers for, and don’t expect the answer. They will seek the answers of their elders, but will never tell you that there isn’t one.

Use their own NWT…it is rife with misrepresentations. Ie/John 1:1 “and the word was with God and the word was **a **god” Their translation was created by people who had no education in Greek/Hebrew/Latin…they simply found texts that worked for them. In this case the only text agreeing with them is one written by a known spiritist–who would not be allowed to participate in their own Kingdom Hall activities.

Pray, pray often and just ask simple, loving questions and don’t expect the answers. You may not see the result, but the softening will be there, allowing another to come in and melt away more of the pain and lonliness that led them to the Watchtower to begin with.

Shalom!

Ask them if they recall NAZI, Communist, etc. justice where the verdict came in of guilty and then the defendent was given a fair trial later. Do they know what the image of “Lady Justice” looks like? Would they prefer it if our nation only took the prosecutors evidence and ignored the defense evidence? Is that fair?

http://bensguide.gpo.gov/images/symbols/scourt_basrelief.jpg

To be fair we must weigh in ALL evidence, not just one side. What would the scale look like if it only had one tray and allways went down and the blindfold only covered one eye, the eye that looked at the other evidence?

Now ask them why their church does the same thing by only using its own evidince and is not fair to both sides? Is that fair? Did not Jesus listen to the devil but used His brain to know what was right and what was wrong?

If they are in your house then they must use your Bible!

Use this in a polite way to show them they are brainwashed. Their own church forbides them from looking at outside material. Why should you look at their proof if they won’t look at yours? Is this honest and fair?

Use the example of how the Mormon church hides/ignores the truth too. Remember, make them admit that ALL evidence should be used by talking about other organizations that cover it up. Get them to agree with you too. Then let them see how thier church is not fair at all.

Show how their church changed the Bible. Cover Jn 6 and the Eucharist. Why do their beliefs change? Etc…

[quote=e-catholic]Thank You Gusano. I am surprised that these JW’s continued to come for 25 years. Many times when they realize that they aren’t getting anywhere, or you start to have an affect on their thinking they will stop coming.
(1), Were these many different people over the years?
(2), Do you know if you ever planted a seed which grew into them leaving the group?
(3). Also, how do you go to them now?

Thanks for sharing, and I would love to hear any other suggestions that you might have.
[/quote]

Hi e-c,
I avoid being confrontational and respect that they were baptized Catholic once (and that is eternal). or they are “little ones…who have been led astray” as in Matt. 18:6

I listen for things they say that I agree with or believe. but underneath all my listening is The New Covenant which compares all I hear with what the New Covenant is.
So they always know I am interested and not hostile.

(1). Yes, there were many different people that came.
Before they ceased, A Pastor came and later He brought another Pastor with him, then Three Pastors came.after that they faded away
(2). No I don’t know that any seed I planted ever caused any one to leave their group… But I always prayed that God would give me the seed to plant at the right moment .
and judging from the facial and body language reactions, a lot of seeds were planted.
(3). Now I go in the Spirit and power given to us at Pentecost as a minister of The New Covenant.
Related Scriptures provided; ( & Beginning Apologetics II )
Acts 1: 8
Romans 8: 14
2 Cor. 3: 6
Heb. 4: 9
Heb. 10: 24, 26, 29
Listen to them and love them 80% of the time
Speak confidently and love them 20% of the time.

The Strongest weapon is a clear understanding and Keeping of The New Covenant.

God Bless,

gusano

I don’t think this is a catholic site … it presents challenging questions based on their (weird) translation of Scripture

webshowplace.com/question/101quest.html

Thank you everyone for your responces. I have been doing thing like gusano has suggested. I think it is important not to become confrontational, because then they will just close off, and won’t be open to anything that I say.

At our last meeting I asked a question that confused her (there are two, but most of the discussion is with one of them. The other is quite shy). I brought her back to my question once when she tried to change the subject, then when I thought I really had her on the spot I let her off the hook by allowing the subject to be changed. I know that she is now wondering about the answer.

When they are here they use my bible mostly. I have found that their bible also does nicely to prove many of my points. I think that using their bible whenever possible to make my points keeps them from claiming that it is a problem with translation. When the issue of differences does come up I will ask questions about who translated their NWT.

One thing that I have noticed in recent years is that JW’s have stopped insisting on using their bibles, and they no longer ask for donations when offering watchtower materials. These two things have kept them from getting through the door in many cases in the past.

Gusano is exactly right. The one that does most of the talking is a former Catholic. As she puts it her mother was very strict catholic, and then she started to study the bible. Her mother converted, then she did research, found out where many catholic beliefs came from, and made her own decision to convert.

I have had many JW’s come to my door, but this one I particularly liked. I think that God has a plan for our time together. I really want to make some good points without scaring them off.

Gusano, your experience with them going to many elders, and then not showing up anymore, from what I have read, is very common. The Kingdom Halls often tell people not to go to certain houses.

I appreciate all of your imput, and if anyone has more I would love to hear it.

Thank You,

Have you tried the catholicxjw forum?

catholicxjw.proboards55.com

Or maybe you could lurk jw forums (they contain mainly ex-jws)

The forums do a good job of exposing the JW’s

**Even try going to your local library and find books on them… even read books on cults… -Cults too good to be true by Raphael Aron- is good, and he believes the JW’s are a cult… (they were listed as a cult in his book) … and how to help cult victems, also learn about the concept of mind control so you have an idea on how to get to them… **

Evanescence

A good book, and it has been brought up a lot, I highly recommend
Jason Evert’s book, " Answering Jehovah’s Witnesses" Very well
written and very informative! Iam an ex jw, and let me tell you, if
I had come to someone’s door and they had that book handy, I
would’ve started seriously questioning my belief! No kidding!
It is very well presented! You’d be astounded by what is in there!
I was! * still am* !

A good book, and it has been brought up a lot, I highly recommend
Jason Evert’s book, " Answering Jehovah’s Witnesses" Very well
written and very informative! Iam an ex jw, and let me tell you, if
I had come to someone’s door and they had that book handy, I
would’ve started seriously questioning my belief! No kidding!
It is very well presented! You’d be astounded by what is in there!
I was! * still am* !

Your post was full of good points, but I ran into a JW who issisted on using the bible of the potential convert.

I think its great everyone here is so involved in witnessing to the JW’s. I have some experience with witnessing to them. If you have anything specific you would like to talk about in talking to them I’d be happy to help. It sounds like you are certainly on the right track as far as poise and attitude. I do have a number of resources that I draw from and as I said if there is one or two things in particular that you would like to discuss that would be great. Thanks

[quote=Evanescence]Have you tried the catholicxjw forum?

catholicxjw.proboards55.com

Or maybe you could lurk jw forums (they contain mainly ex-jws)

The forums do a good job of exposing the JW’s

**Even try going to your local library and find books on them… even read books on cults… -Cults too good to be true by Raphael Aron- is good, and he believes the JW’s are a cult… (they were listed as a cult in his book) … and how to help cult victems, also learn about the concept of mind control so you have an idea on how to get to them… **

Evanescence
[/quote]

Hi Evanescence,
I have been there. I post as CatholicWhitness. There isn’t a lot of traffic there, so I thought I would try here too.

[quote=Northwind]I think its great everyone here is so involved in witnessing to the JW’s. I have some experience with witnessing to them. If you have anything specific you would like to talk about in talking to them I’d be happy to help. It sounds like you are certainly on the right track as far as poise and attitude. I do have a number of resources that I draw from and as I said if there is one or two things in particular that you would like to discuss that would be great. Thanks
[/quote]

Thanks Northwind,

There is one thing at the moment. She brought up baptism the other day. How do you suggest I address this. Also, do you have any suggestions for addressing the divinity of Christ? Or the differences in translation of their bible?

Oops that was three, sorry.

What specifically about baptism? I can talk to you more about the divinity of Christ in a short while…i’m at work but i will write as soon as i can. Briefly though, the JW’s like to go to Col 1 to ‘prove’ Jesus isn’t God by citing He was ‘firstborn’ which to them means He had a begining. This could not be further from the truth. The word can mean first one born but in this context it means preeminent, having first place in or superior to. I’ll send a better email later. If there are any verses you would like to talk about that would be fine too. See you in a bit. Thanks

[quote=e-catholic] I have used the Catholic Ex JW site,
[/quote]

Do you have a link for this?

THANKS!

Someone mentioned Evert’s book. That’s all I had to add.

Hi e - I’m in a bit of a hurry right now but I’m just going to put up a few things on baptism. I’m assuming the questions have to do with *infant *baptism, and also baptism *not using total immersion. *

Would there have been enough water for total immersion…?

ACTS 9:8-19 (The account of Paul’s baptism. He was “in the house of Judas” on “the street called Straight”. The account seems to place his baptism between the time he “rose” and his “taking of food”. If he was baptized in the house, would there have been enough water for total immersion?)

ACTS 16:23-34 (The account of the Phillipian jailer. The context suggests that he and his family were baptized in the middle of the night. Would they have gone out seeking a body of water in the middle of the night? If not, would there have been enough water in the house for total immersion?)

“Whole households” - would it have included small children…?

ACTS 16:14-15 (LYDIA) …One who heard us was a woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyati’ra, a seller of purple goods, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to give heed to what was said by Paul. And when she was baptized, with her household, she besought us, saying, “If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come to my house and stay.”

ACTS 16:33 (THE PHILLIPIAN JAILER) And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their wounds, and he was baptized at once, with all his family.

1 CORINTHIANS (STEPHANAS) 1:16 I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any one else.

The section of the Didache (circa 100 A. D.) on baptism, shows that non-immersion was an acceptable alternative to full immersion: "But if you have neither, pour out water three times upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit."
newadvent.org/fathers/0714.htm

The section of John Salza’s “Scripture Catholic” website having to do with baptism is excellent: scripturecatholic.com/baptism.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.