Jehovah's Witness attends first midnight Christmas Mass

My Christmas gift to the world is NOT singing. I lip sync. :smiley:

God bless you! The Mass is so profound even with chatter and distractions all around. I have learned to tune those things out and concentrate on what is happening on the altar. Our parish was packed at the 8pm Christmas Eve Vigil Mass (as was the Midnight Mass I suspect) so I’m sure there were lots of folks there who hadn’t been in a while, but The Mister and I decided that we would rejoice that they were there.

Merry Christmas!!! Now you will have to attend the most beautiful Mass in the Church, the Easter Vigil Mass. It is far away! :thumbsup:

=Celtic Maiden;11533335]As a Jewish Convert to the faith, it will bring you more joy than you know, keep reading and exploring, The Catechism of the Catholic Church, also there is a good book called
“Catholicism for Dummies” written by a Catholic layperson.

Lord give me an insatiable thirst for you and then quench that thirst.

Welcome and G-D Bless.

IF my friend, you choose to READ the Catechism, do yourself a huge FAVOR and get a copy
of The United States Catholic catechism for Adults. ITS ALOT EASIER TO READ AND COMPREHEND, AND STILL LOYAL TO THE MAGISTERIUM:)

Actually, Catholicism for Dummies is written by two Catholic priests.

Authors:

Rev. John Trigilio, Jr., PhD, ThD, is President of the Confraternity of Catholic Clergy and co-hosts with Fr. Brighenti several programs on the Eternal Word Television Network.

Rev. Kenneth Brighenti, PhD, is a member of the Board of Directors for the Confraternity of Catholic Clergy and was a U.S. Naval Reserve Chaplain.

Terrific post.

You are always more than welcome.

God bless.

That’s great news! I’m a convert to Catholicism as well. Here’s a short version of my conversion story:

Born to an agnostic mother.
Parents separated when I was 3 months old and divorced soon after that.
Was raised with one brother by a single mother; we rarely saw our father growing up.
Had brief exposure to Protestant Christianity from “Oneness Pentecostal” grandmother.
Rebelled in my teens and got into Heavy Metal.
Considered myself an agnostic at one point and at another experimented with Witchcraft.
Had a dream about Hell, realizing that I was primed to go there.
Realized the danger of Witchcraft and how it is essentially the same as Satanism.
Realized that Satan is real, so wondered if God could be real.
Realized that I had no happiness or peace.
Remembered the religion of my grandmother and wondered if Christianity could be the answer.
Looked up Christianity in the phone book and at the public library.
Narrowed it down to Catholicism or Anglicanism.
Found peace while sitting in a back pew of a Catholic cathedral.
Chose Catholicism, and became a Catholic.
Forgave my father because Catholicism taught me about the necessity of forgiveness.
As far as I know, I’m the only Catholic out of the relatives on my mother’s side.

Welcome Winston … Glad you are here … May the Blessings of the Christ Child be upon you this year - Merry Christmas :wave:

I wish you had been at my parish - you would have received a book as a gift [every household in attendance received one]

Confessions of a Mega Church Pastor: How I Discovered the Hidden Treasures of the Catholic Church by Allen Hunt

Don’t let others demeanors intimidate you or have it doubt your choice. God willing their ears are pulled and they straighten up especially in Church.

I’m happy for you and welcome hime

I too went to my first midnight Christmas Mass before becoming Catholic and was amazed! I knew I had just experienced something profound.
May our Lord bless your journey of faith to the Catholic Church -

mlz

P.S.

Now that you are becoming a Catholic, you’ll discover that we observe 12 days of Christmas starting on Christmas day. Because of advertising and consumerism, the rest of society thinks that Christmas starts the day after Thanksgiving and ends on Christmas day. Our neighbors have already taken down their Christmas lights, but we still have ours up. Our family will keep our Christmas lights out until the Epiphany which will be this January 5th. The Epiphany is the closing of the Christmas season. Speaking of Christmas and family, the Catholic Church is a big extended family. When you are Catholic you are never alone because you will always have God, the angels, and the saints. So, Merry Christmas, and may God bless you!

I think this is not completely correct. The Christmas “season” is not over till Jan. 12th. according to the calendar.

cloynediocese.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Calendar-4.jpg

I think it is more correct to say the Christmas “gifting season” ends w/ the Epiphany.

Peace!!!

=livingwordunity;11543008]That’s great news! I’m a convert to Catholicism as well. Here’s a short version of my conversion story:

Born to an agnostic mother.
Parents separated when I was 3 months old and divorced soon after that.
Was raised with one brother by a single mother; we rarely saw our father growing up.
Had brief exposure to Protestant Christianity from “Oneness Pentecostal” grandmother.
Rebelled in my teens and got into Heavy Metal.
Considered myself an agnostic at one point and at another experimented with Witchcraft.
Had a dream about Hell, realizing that I was primed to go there.
Realized the danger of Witchcraft and how it is essentially the same as Satanism.
Realized that Satan is real, so wondered if God could be real.
Realized that I had no happiness or peace.
Remembered the religion of my grandmother and wondered if Christianity could be the answer.
Looked up Christianity in the phone book and at the public library.

Narrowed it down to Catholicism or Anglicanism.
Found peace while sitting in a back pew of a Catholic cathedral.
Chose Catholicism, and became a Catholic.
Forgave my father because Catholicism taught me about the necessity of forgiveness.
As far as I know, I’m the only Catholic out of the relatives on my mother’s side.

Awesome:thumbsup: Thank you for sharing

All -

I had not had a JW “encounter” for a number of years and then all of a sudden this past Saturday, I was visited twice. I was out of town in Wisconsin and a JW stopped to say hi to me while sitting in my car outside of Starbucks (a very nice 40 something year old lady) and a second time a hour later at my father-in-laws house (30’s age couple with child). Each conversation was about 10 minutes long. I pass along the information below as learning’s in case a JW stops and talks to you. Hopefully, I planted a seed or two.

The points I made each time were:

1. Christ built a Church, founded on St Peter and sent the Holy Spirit to guide His Church to all Truth and that he promised to be with it until the end of time.

JW Response - not much feedback here, mainly because I immediately moved on to point #2 below. :stuck_out_tongue:

1. The bible is a Catholic book and that they tacitly acknowledge that the Catholic Church was right in deciding what books should be in the bible. I started off by asking them how do they know that the books in their bible are inspired and inerrant and then I told them about the Council of Rome, Snyod of Hippo, Carthage, Florence and Trent. All involved Catholic Bishops affirming 73 books in the bible out of several hundred writings.

JW Response - the first lady thought this was a great question. She answered that all the books “harmonized” with each other. The young couple responded with the same answer, that the books “harmonized” with each other. With the latter, when I said it was because the Catholic Church said so, they immediately started to leave saying that they only believed in the Word of God and not the Word of Man … or something to that affect. The husband was pretty agitated.

1. John 6 is literal, that the wine and bread is turned into the actual body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. I had them open their bible(s) to Malachi 1:11 and I explained that the only pure offering, world wide, 24 hours a day, takes place in the Mass.

(RSVCE)11 For from the rising of the sun to its setting my name is great among the nations, and in every place incense is offered to my name, and a pure offering; for my name is great among the nations, says the Lord of hosts.

(NWT)11 “For from the rising of the sun to its setting,* my name will be great among the nations.+ In every place sacrifices will be made to smoke, and offerings will be made to my name, as a pure gift; because my name will be great among the nations,”+ says Jehovah of armies.

JW Response - The husband with the couple responded and said it was very hard for an outsider to believe in the Real Presence, believing it was figurative. I responded and said that in John 6, it is also said that “it is a hard saying, who can take it”? But I told him that Jesus never corrected the crowds, they left him and that apostles wherever they set up Churches, they taught the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. There was no “symbolic” belief anywhere.

Anyway, I did ask the first lady if she believed that she will spend eternity on earth and not in heaven as one of the 144,000. She replied yes and that it was still a wonderful place. She then took me to Revelation 5:10 saying that this was evidence that there will be an earthly paradise as well as a heavenly paradise

(NWT) 9 And they sing a new song,+ saying: “You are worthy to take the scroll and open its seals, for you were slaughtered and with your blood you bought people for God+ out of every tribe and tongue* and people and nation,+ 10 and you made them to be a kingdom+ and priests to our God,+ and they are to rule as kings+ over the earth.”

(RSVCE)9 and they sang a new song, saying,
“Worthy art thou to take the scroll and to open its seals,
for thou wast slain and by thy blood didst ransom men for God
from every tribe and tongue and people and nation,
10 and hast made them a kingdom and priests to our God,
and they shall reign on earth.”

I admitted that I was not familiar with Rev 5:9 but I would look it up and research it. Below is the Haydock commentary. I’ll be better prepared the next time I am visited and reference is made to this verse.

Ver. 10. And hast made us to our God, &c. See 1 Peter ii. 5, 9. (Witham) — All Christians may justly be styled kings and priests of God, by the spiritual empire they possess over their passions and the world; and by the continual offering they make on the altar of their hearts, by means of the prayers they daily offer up to God. (Origen) — Thus they say, we shall reign on the earth by the empire we shall exercise over our passions; and by the union we shall have with Jesus Christ and his Church, triumph over all who have persecuted us. (Estius; Andræas.)

PnP

I’d say you certainly did plant a seed or two. An unintended side effect of the JW’s preaching work is that it occasionally brings them into contact with folks like yourself who can make a few important points quickly in a peaceful spirit. Well done.

I do too… Sadly I couldn’t attend the local midnight Mass, but I watched the 2012 one in St. Patrick’s Cathedral in NYC on YouTube (Timothy Cardinal Dolan celebrated, and I think it was a beautiful Mass - it even had altar bells :D)

Me too! :slight_smile:

A huge welcome to you Winston Smith! Welcome Home.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.