Jehovah's Witness Seeks Answers re: Catholic Church

I found this on the thread for New Visitors. It wasn’t getting the attention it deserved, so I’m starting a new thread and will PM her that her questions are here. Can anyone else help with the answers.

By the way, she also stated that she is Jehovah’s Witness.

Thanks

[quote=elizacog]I am seeking information on the Catholic Church. My sister is dating a man who’s mother is Catholic, he lives with his parents, and they have a big influence on him and his way of life.

My sister is not religious. I have been trying for the past 22 years to help her to see that Jehovahs Witnesses are not the bad people her peers insist we are, and she has believed.

She finally a year ago, last feb. came to visit and spent 4 days with me, the longest time we have ever had together since my becoming one of Jehovahs Witnesses. I was elated.

Not only that, but she went to two meetings with us. Then 5 months later in July, when I went home, to see my new Grand Son, she went to one day, of a Jehovahs Witness Convention, with me. Mabe you could imagine my joy. (She didnt even, stay awake, she brought a book to read. And complained the whole way, she made the drive misrable). But I could barely contain myself, I was so happy. Believe it or not this was progress.

My sister was told by the man mentioned above that if she didnt stop association with Jehovahs Witnesses he would not have anything to do with her. She listened to him, and she has had very little contact with me since.

The other nite I called her and she finally answered. She was livid, over the treatment of the popes death. She told me, that I have been rubbing off on her, I asked what she was talking about, (especially since she would barely communicate with me) she said every time someone says something bad about the Jehovahs Witnesses, she feels compelled to defend us. I asked her why, was she just taking the opposing side of the argument, she said no, she didnt really want to defend us, but she knew that what was being said was not true, and could not keep silent. I am very excited. At the same time I do not want to give her any wrong information about Catholics, or any thing else. I love my sister and only want the very best way of life for her.

hope you dont mind my venting.

As for the Catholic Church I will add an overview:

As for the information you posted:
the information I am looking for are facts, such as how much it cost for different services, weddings, funerals, ect. What amount of tithing is required ie: 10%. How long does it take for one to become a catholic, and what is required, what do I need to know before qualifying to become a catholic? Do Catholics preach about gods kingdom? If not why? These kinds of hard facts.

Eliza aka Karen
[/quote]

Eliza,

Thank you for seeking answers to your questions. With regards to the cost for various services performed by the church, the charges tend to be nothing, unless you seek to be served outside your local parish or you aren’t active in your parish, at least this is the case in my parish.

So, a regular member of my parish would be charged nothing for either a wedding, or (I assume) a funeral. You might be so kind as to give the priest or the church a voluntary gift, and I would, but there would be no fee required, so if you were poor, you wouldn’t need to worry, the church will serve you.

On the other hand, we live in a destination location (tourist town) and many seek to be married here. For them, there is a charge to use the Church for their wedding. I believe it’s in the range of $600, but again, they are not local parishoners.

You ask about Tithe. I think you’d be surprised to learn that most Catholics don’t realize that they have a financial obligation to support the church, nor will you hear this preached often from the pulpit. 10% would be ideal, but it is in no way enforced or even very strongly taught. I personally think this is a shame, as much could be done if we would step up financially.

The priest provides many other services also for free, for example membership in the parish requires no financial contribution, as stated above, and yet a member of my parish receives the parish newsletter on a monthly basis, access to Mass on a daily basis with the sacrament of communion provided, confession on Saturdays (or any time Father is available, he’s willing to meet with you). Father also provides Spiritual Direction services and he has refused any donations from me when I’ve offered. This amounts to an hour of counseling for free as often as I feel I need it.

There is no charge for having the Eucharist brought to your home when you are ill (I’ve been doing this this week for an elderly woman in our Parish, who used to be a daily communicant, but her cancer has progressed and she can’t continue to make it.)

Father also reaches out and does things for people without their knowing it’s him, for example purchasing subscriptions to the Catholic Herald or other publications and having it sent to their home. This is at his discretion.

I don’t recall paying a fee for my daughters baptism, there is a mere $20 / year to have my daughter attend CCD.

It takes approximately 1 year to complete the RCIA process, with converts entering at Easter. I do not believe there is any charge for this program.

I have attended free bible study classes on Monday nights for the past several years. They have not been continuously ongoing, as they go for a series of weeks and then there is a break as other programs are offered, such as RCIA in the Fall/Winter/Early Spring. But these courses have been extremely helpful.

The Parish just offered Abuse Awareness Training for all the parents for free, with volunteers who spent a weekend away at a facilitator training at the expense of the Parish.

We have Parish get togethers at Christmas, St. Patricks Day, Feast of Corpus Christi (Parish Name), and a few other occations, as well as a new Pot-Luck Bible Study starting in a couple of weeks. The Parish provides the entire meal for all except the upcoming Pot-Luck and there is no charge to attend.

Anyways, the more I write, the more I realize I have to appreciate my Pastor for all he does for us.

God Bless the Priests and the Church,

CARose

PS. and you asked: Do Catholic Priests preach on the Kingdom of God?

Absolutely yes, we typically have an Old Testatment, a New Testament and a Gospel reading at each Mass and then the Priest or Deacon provides a Homily (Sermon) on the reading of the week. During the course of 3 years all the bible has been covered through these readings on Sunday. The scripture itself tells us about the Kingdom of God and the priest elaborate on the subject.

Hope this helps.

CARose -

You have done well in explaining to Eliza the fact that, as Catholics, we benefit from many services for little cost. However, I believe that she is also interested in learning about what is required to become a Catholic - what we believe.

If she will look at the top of this forum’s page, she will see that Karl Keating offers just such information in his books. Perhaps he may also offer some free pamphlets to non-Catholics interested in learning about our faith? I suggest that one of our apologists inquire about sending Eliza some appropriate material.

There is no cost for going through the RCIA. That’s the “classes” one takes to become catholic. It’s a weekly class starting, usually, in August and going for four weeks past the Easter Vigil. One does need a sponsor, but the person in charge of the RCIA can get someone to do that, so you don’t have to necessarily know someone who is catholic to do this for you.

The Catholic church does indeed preach the Kingdom of God. One thing disturbed me about this post. God was spelled with a lower case g. The name of God always has a capital letter at the beginning.

I have studied with JW’s in the past. Many of their teachings are against clearly stated scripture. I won’t go into that right now. But I am concerned for those who are in this group. They are mislead. Please keep an open mind, and study what Catholics believe, and why they believe it. Especially in light of scripture.

[quote=CARose]I found this on the thread for New Visitors. It wasn’t getting the attention it deserved, so I’m starting a new thread and will PM her that her questions are here. Can anyone else help with the answers.

Thanks
[/quote]

You are obviously searching for knowledge. Take your time and pray to the Lord for guidance, He will hear your call. Good luck and God’s blessing on you.

Hi, I would recomend,ewtn.com/faith/teachings/index.htm I feel this would present the best answers to your Catholic faith questions, and questions that may come to mind.

Go to this link:

catholic.com/radio/calive.asp

On April 22, 2005, a former Jehovah’s Witness was on Catholic Answers and the whole program was geared towards his conversion and any questions that any callers may have had.

CaRose,
I think that mabe all my posts should be included to give the full picture.

Reply:

[quote=Catherine S.]Hello and welcome to Catholic Answers Forum :tiphat: nice to have you with us ! I am** not certain** if it is information on the Jehovah’s Witnesses or the Catholic Church that you are seeking!
[/quote]

Reply to Catherine:

Then while reading through the forum I came across an interesting post, for help on how to answer Jehovahas Witnesses, the woman was getting regular vistits from one or two, and didnt know what to say. Her request:

Is there anything that I should know about how i should proceed? Today I tried to give them a copy each of Pillar of fire, pillar of Faith and as I guessed they wouldn’t even look at it, and forget about them taking it with them, I will remember that when they try to hand me the next awake magazine.

My answer:

Then I came across a post by CARose, where she was telling of her experience with Jehovahs Witnesses: Her post:

Posted by CARose
Just yesterday I had the JW’s at my door so I invited them in. I’d been sitting reading scripture, with my Strong’s concordance and multiple translations of the bible scattered around me when they rang the bell, so the timing was great!

It’s awesome to read above that they are frequently told that Catholics are not allowed to read the bible, because I grabbed my tabbed bible for our discussion and when we got onto the topic of why the Catholic Bible has more books, he responded that mine was an “interesting perspective”, but quickly dismissed it with the fact that there’s no evidence that the books were ever accepted as belonging to the Canon, and that there were “Bibles” that didn’t include them. I popped up and went over to the chair where I’d been sitting, grabbed a “New Testament” Bible and asked if this was the Whole Bible. No, of course not, and yet it says “Bible”. I didn’t mention the fact that a hand written bible gets extremely expensive and that not everyone who wanted some scripture could afford the entire thing.

They didn’t stay too long, I think they were shocked to encounter a Catholic who was on-fire for Jesus. I may have overwhelmed them and they may not return, knowing they’ll not make much headway here. :frowning: I want more opportunities to converse with them. Otherwise how can they come to know the fullness of the Truth?

CA

It seemed that CARose would enjoy teaching others the bible, not just when JW’s come to her door

CA,

If you really would like to share your faith, mabe you might consider in trying to do what these faithful witnesses do. Take your bible and go door to door. See how long you last.

E

I let my emotions get out of control. Imagine, seeing you lifes work tore to shreads on some internet forum?

E

CaRose,
I think that mabe all my posts should be included to give the full picture.

Posted by elizacog
Hello,

I am one of Jehovahs Witnesses, I joined this forum while looking for information about how the Catholic Church conducts and charges for their services. I have been one of Jehovahs Witnesses for 22 yrs. My sister who is not, has been dating a man who’s Mother is a very active Catholic. I wanted to give an answer to her questions about the church accurately. As apposed to the hearsay going around. After finding the forum I thought it might be interesting to post.

I Live in West Texas, very near the Mexican border, I have found that many of the local people are Catholic. Being in a small town most are very kind, and hospitible.

Eliza

Reply:

Originally Posted by Catherine S.
Hello and welcome to Catholic Answers Forum :tiphat: nice to have you with us ! I am** not certain** if it is information on the Jehovah’s Witnesses or the Catholic Church that you are seeking!

Reply to Catherine, is origional post of thread.

I came across an interesting post, the woman was getting regular vistits from Jehovahs Witnesses and wanted help. Her request:

Is there anything that I should know about how i should proceed? Today I tried to give them a copy each of Pillar of fire, pillar of Faith and as I guessed they wouldn’t even look at it, and forget about them taking it with them, I will remember that when they try to hand me the next awake magazine.

My answer:

Originally Posted by ELIZACOG
Jehovahs Witnesses offer free home bible studys. Did you know that they are doing so at their own expense? The cost involved in bringing bible education to people at no charge, is not small, there is time, time they could be talking to someone who is sincerely interested in their message, not to mention the financial cost, I live in a rural area, and the towns in our territority, are 25 to 30 miles apart. I spend many hundreds of dollars each month, just for gasoline, not to mention the wear and tear of my car, clothing, shoes, and body. The message we are taking to rightly disposed individuals is so very important that, we are willing to give all we have in this service. Is your faith so strong that you will give all you have to spread its message? If not why?

*Jehovahs Witnesses are not coming to your door just to convert you, they are looking for **all ***people who are sighing and groaning over the detestable things going on in the world, expecially in the name of religion.

You do not need advise on how to handle JW’s just follow your heart, God knows your heart, and he can direct you the way he wants you to go.

E

Then I came across a post by CARose, where she was telling of her experience with Jehovahs Witnesses: Her post:

[quote]
Posted by CARose

Just yesterday I had the JW’s at my door so I invited them in. I’d been sitting reading scripture, with my Strong’s concordance and multiple translations of the bible scattered around me when they rang the bell, so the timing was great!

It’s awesome to read above that they are frequently told that Catholics are not allowed to read the bible, because I grabbed my tabbed bible for our discussion and when we got onto the topic of why the Catholic Bible has more books, he responded that mine was an “interesting perspective”, but quickly dismissed it with the fact that there’s no evidence that the books were ever accepted as belonging to the Canon, and that there were “Bibles” that didn’t include them. I popped up and went over to the chair where I’d been sitting, grabbed a “New Testament” Bible and asked if this was the Whole Bible. No, of course not, and yet it says “Bible”. I didn’t mention the fact that a hand written bible gets extremely expensive and that not everyone who wanted some scripture could afford the entire thing.

They didn’t stay too long, I think they were shocked to encounter a Catholic who was on-fire for Jesus. I may have overwhelmed them and they may not return, knowing they’ll not make much headway here. :frowning: I want more opportunities to converse with them. Otherwise how can they come to know the fullness of the Truth?

*CA *

It seemed that CARose would enjoy teaching others the bible. *

CARose,

If you really would like to share your faith, mabe you might consider in trying to do what these faithful witnesses do. Take your bible and go door to door. See how long you last.

E

I let my emotions get out of control. Eliza
[/quote]

Eliza,
I can understand why it hurts to read that. But, you have to remember that the JWs teach that the Catholic Church is the “Whor of Babylon” and CARose knows better than that. And to have them come to her door, pushing literature on her, and at the same time rejecting anything she might offer because it’s “of Satan”, well…I can sympathize. But, while I have my own opinion of JWs, I don’t think this particular thread is meant to be about discussing JWs beliefs. I believe you are wanting to find out more about the Catholic Church, and all of us would do well to remember that we should be example’s of God’s love, and share that information with you.

Now, your original question had to do with how the Church conducts and charges for services. I believe that question has been answered. But I wonder if you, or your sister, have other questions relating more to Catholic faith? Hopefully if you do, you will get direct answers, and won’t be made to feel like anyone is trying to convert you. I know that it is against your beliefs to read any literature, and that you probably won’t want to read any articles that are linked here. But, please…ask any questions you may have.

May God be with you.

Hi:

You may find some of the information that you are looking for at the following website:

www.catholicxjw.com

If you would like to ask any questions please email me at:

jschwehm@catholicxjw.com

Jeff Schwehm
Fellowship of Catholic Ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses

[quote=jschwehm]Hi:

You may find some of the information that you are looking for at the following website:

www.catholicxjw.com

If you would like to ask any questions please email me at:

jschwehm@catholicxjw.com

Jeff Schwehm
Fellowship of Catholic Ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses
[/quote]

Jeff, I listened to your conversion story on EWTN. It is very interesting. very good story.

Eliza-
I would like to apologize to you for the somewhat short answer I gave to you on the thread that you site above. It didn’t reflect the respect that I really do feel for Witness individuals, or the welcome that I should have given you to the forum. As far as I’m concerned you’re welcome here any time and I hope to see more of you. netmender

[quote=MistyF]Eliza,
I can understand why it hurts to read that. But, you have to remember that the JWs teach that the Catholic Church is the “Whor of Babylon”
[/quote]

MistyF,

Jehovahs Witnesses understanding of “Babylon the Great” mentioned at Revelation, is a little different than you mentioned above. To understand who Babylon the Great is, you would have to know something about Ancient Babylon. Ancient Babylon was full of many false religious practices. “Babylon the Great” is thought to represent all false religious practiced in the Earth, which would make it very great.

So it is not just the Catholic Church, it would include all religions that are not serving the GOD of the Bible.

I appreciate your post, also at the same time I would like to say, that I did not initiate this thread, and really did not want it, when I wrote my initial post, I was only explaining why I was at the forum in the first place, and was not asking for the input that I was given, I guess that my post was not clear.

It seems that my initial post is being exploated in an attempt to make JW’s look bad. I am not and would never look to the Catholic Church for answers on faith, I was mearly searching to make sure I had not given an incorrect answer to my sister concering what I believed the Catholic Church pracitced. I thought it would be best to find out from the source, or at least someone who would know. Just as I would hope others would not blindly believe everything that is said about JW’s.

If you were raised as a JW’s, you would know quite alot, at least as far as you and your family actually practiced, and lived the life.

I raised my 26 year old daughter as one of Jehovahs Witnesses, but I was not living up to my dedication, and as a result she did not get the proper training, and now is not living up to the hope I had for her, it is not her fault, it was mine, if I had did my part, she would have a different out come.

Many children raised by JW’s parents, are not given the training they require, not because of any fault of the organization, but because the parent, or parents dont do their part. Not only that, being raised around JW’s the child thinks that they know what it means to be a Jehovahs Witness, when they really do not. They often just go through the motions, not knowing why they are doing things. Which has no power.

You should see the young children that are truly trained and raised as Jehovahs Witnesses, these little ones are speaking and commenting at meetings (meeting consist of groups of 50-100 people or more), better than some adults, they shine like diamonds, their minds are sharp, and it is beautiful thing to see.

My daughter commented at meetings, and went door to door to, but the difference, was. These other children actually know what they are talking about not just mimicing what they are told.

Eliza

I would like to add, that Satan is waging an all out attack, on the human family, and it is very hard for all families of the earth, to raise their children these days, just look to the prision system. They are full of throw away people, many still children.

Elizacog-

I'm really sorry that you feel that way.  I may be misunderstanding, but from the posts, the impression I got was the only information you were really searching for was the monetary cost of being Catholic.  It was a rather offhanded way in which you asked about the beliefs of the Catholic Church.  

And for the record, I have had JW’s come to my door trying to convert me. They were very pushy and I found unpleasant. That has been my experience with Jehovah Witness.

Elizacog,
Hello. You must be a very kind sister to want to find what Catholics believe right from the source. Good idea. That’s one thing I want to say right up front… I think Jehovahs’s Witnesses are some of the very nicest people. You mentioned the gas you spend, the wear & tear on your car and even the amount of your time spent out in service all in hopes of finding someone that wants to know about Jehovah. Your dediciation is admirable.

However, what if the message you are telling is not correct? What if the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society isn’t the “faithful and discreet slave” that’s spoken of in the Bible? Then wouldn’t you agree that you are doing all of that for nothing?

I was a JW for several years. I loved my brothers & sisters, I loved going to the Kingdom Hall, I loved the conventions and I loved going out in service. I was a very faithful, dedicated witness just like you and I was so happy that I was spending my life in service to Jehovah. Until I found out that the “Jehovah” I was serving didn’t exsist. The 144,000 - not true. The date 1914 & the generation not passing away - not true. The New World Translation - not true - not the word of God. It was all a big lie. I think Russell (the founder of the WT) was a very sick individual who made up all sorts of things about “Jehovah” and persuated people who didn’t know any better to follow him. More & more followed & before you know it, there’s an “army” of Witnesses out preaching a false truth. The witnesses today, just like most who followed Russell THINK they are serving Jehovah - your motives are good but, your religion is false. The evidence is all there - you just need to open your eyes and see it. Why do you think the Society tells you NOT to read anything published by former members? What we want to show you is all the evidence FROM the WATCHTOWER - all the times they prophecized & it didn’t come true. And then they changed their mind because “the light got brighter” and it didn’t come true again so they changed it again - and now enough time has passed so they can just deny they ever said it to begin with. Do you know what it takes to be considered a “False Prophet” according to the Bible? PLEASE Look up Deut. 19:20-22 - do you know how many times the WT’s prophacies HAVE come true? Never. And you wouldn’t believe the wacky things that Russell predicted - it’s all in black & white in old copies of his writings that the Society doesn’t want you to ever see.

Who becomes Jehovah’s Witnesses? Those who don’t know their Bible. Do Catholic Priests become Jehovah’s Witnesses? No. Do devout Baptists or Church of Christ folks become Jehovah’s Witnesses? No. Nobody who has studied the scriptures in a serious manner would EVER become a JW because you cannot support your beliefs based on the teachings of the Early Church or an accurate interpretation of the Bible.

I’m afraid that nothing I say is going to make a bit of difference to you though. You are, like I was, no doubt so brainwashed into thinking that you are right and everyone else is part of “Babylon the Great.” But God loves you very much so I’m going to say a prayer that your eyes would be open to the REAL “Truth” and you would come to know the Joy & Peace of truly serving Him.

With nothing but love in my heart for you Elizacog,
Sister Baker

I have had some conversations with some JW’s at my door but I never let them become pushy. At my work there are a few and I have talked with them before, they were kind hearted. But I have a respect for life and whatever kind of “mis-understanding” I might have of them, I cannot stomach the idea that they refuse blood transfusions. Many have died because of that and I actualy know of a local case where a JW lost a court case to not give HER OWN child a blood transfusion. I thank MY GOD JESUS CHRIST that the babe is alive today.

I know the JW’s are not intentialy trying to just “let the babe die” or murder them, but they are getting their beliefs from scripture and their own teachings. That’s the scary part when individuals interpret the Bible privatly. I have even heard some man quote from the Old Testament to try and JUSTIFY abortion and even sex before marriage. That’s why we need a Papacy.

Another interesting thing is how some greek scholars who are not even religous condem the JW’s bible calling it a distortion to fit their own bias beliefs.

Here is a quote from Greek Scholar Dr. Julius Mantey; “I haven’t read any translation that is as diabolical and as damnable as the JW so-called translation.
…They (the Society) hate Jesus Christ.”

I myself have read some pretty hateful quotes by JW’s against Christianity, and especialy against the one Church that can trace itself back to the Apostles of Christ, the Catholic Church. But the ones I know personaly are very kind hearted individuals. God bless them.

God give you peace

[quote=CARose]I found this on the thread for New Visitors. It wasn’t getting the attention it deserved, so I’m starting a new thread and will PM her that her questions are here. Can anyone else help with the answers.

Thanks
[/quote]

One mandate of the JW is to seek converts and sway those of other faiths to theirs. In the past they were very aggressive to the extent of hostility, and insulting the Blessed Virgin and anything and everyone else they can find sacred in Catholic beliefs.

As such, it is obvious this sect is determined to remain obstinate in it’s submission to the Church, and in it’s belief that there is no hope for others in the Church, who’s dogma teaches that anyone who is determined to preach there is no hope, or, any individual believes that situations are hopeless, commits
unforgivable sin.

Therefore it is best to remain distant from uninfluential individuals and enemies of the Holy Spirit until they see the error of their ways. The boyfriend is right to be concerned both for himself, and any future children.

Andy

Eliza,

Regarding Babylon the Great - there was a time when I could explain all of those prophesies without batting an eye. I know that Babylon the Great is supposed to refer to all false religion, but there were many times that the Catholic Church was said to be the worst of the lot.

I was 8 when I began going to the Kingdom Hall. I truly loved God, and I did everything to please him. I didn’t do it because Mom made me, I did it because it wasa what I believed I should do, and I wanted to share my faith. When I was 13 and began having problems with my Mom (who to this day is a devout JW), I talked to her, and then brought the matter before the elders, so that I would be able to serve God better. I struggled for Him, I stayed away from “worldly influences” and began Pioneering (I was home-schooled). I was raised “right”. My sister was a few months old when Mom became a JW, and she was a shining example of how JW kids should be raised. She answered at meetings from the time she could talk, she was brave and told people when they did something wrong, and when she was asked why she didn’t do birthdays or Christmas she proclaimed that they were bad, and would even explain why. I remember her crying because she was too sick to go to meetings sometimes.

I will be writing more on that topic - I promised someone I’d put my story all in one place, and I’ll put a link here. But, the people that make up the JWs - yourself, my Mom, my brother, my old friends, even myself once - people are sincere, and are doing what they believe to be right. And yes, that is commendable. But their eyes have been blinded. I remember them talking about how other religions brain-washed people. Well, that is what the Watchtower Society does. I have since been in relationships where I was psychologically abused. And even when I knew it, I couldn’t leave, I thought I was wrong, that I was being unfaithful to the man I was with for thinking those thoughts. I was basically “rescued” by a very special friend, who helped open my eyes, and see strength within myself. And because of that, I was able to see that my boyfriend last year was psychologically abusive. Since then, I’ve delved into this topic in great detail, I wanted to know why I would let it happen. And the reason is that he used the same tactics that the Watchtower Society used. He isolated me, my friends were “bad”, everything he said was for my benefit, because he cared. His family became my family, his friends, my friends. Because I was bipolar (or in the W.S.'s case - sinful) I couldn’t be trusted to make correct judgements, and so I trusted in him even when I had doubts. If there’s one thing I could tell every JW out there - I want to say - study psychological abuse, and compare it with an open heart to your life.

I wouldn’t have gotten into all that, except that it seemed that you thought maybe I hadn’t been raised right, or that I wasn’t sincere in my beliefs growing up. I believe you are sincere too, and I applaud your efforts at sharing what you believe to be truth.

But, one other thing - I feel (like at least one other person implied) that you were looking into the costs of being a Catholic. Perhaps so that you could go to your sister and say “See, they want you to give them money, they don’t care. Look, the JWs don’t charge, we are better” I remember well how the JWs taught that idea, and how they were disdainful of churches that passed an “offering plate”. And I think many here got that feeling too, and became offended. I can’t say as I blame them.

I put the whole story in one thread.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.