Jello

Since Jello gelatin is comprised of bone, animal tissue and cartilage is it forbidden by the Church to be eaten on Fridays??

there is no longer a rule that penance on Friday must include abstinence from meat so no, jello is not forbidden, or are you asking about Fridays in Lent? in our diocese regulations published last year in Lent stated that condiments made from animal sources such as boullion, broth, gravies or gelatin, as well as dairy items, were permitted.

[quote=frdave20]Since Jello gelatin is comprised of bone, animal tissue and cartilage is it forbidden by the Church to be eaten on Fridays??
[/quote]

Wow jello seems a whole lot less appealing now that you’ve reminded of of that. :eek:

[quote=puzzleannie]there is no longer a rule that penance on Friday must include abstinence from meat so no, jello is not forbidden, or are you asking about Fridays in Lent? in our diocese regulations published last year in Lent stated that condiments made from animal sources such as boullion, broth, gravies or gelatin, as well as dairy items, were permitted.
[/quote]

Catholics are required to perform a penitential act. and this is mine during the year. I see that your diocese said that, but what about the universal Church – what is the norm?

[quote=rayne89]Wow jello seems a whole lot less appealing now that you’ve reminded of of that. :eek:
[/quote]

this is one of the many reasons I am vegan.
~ Kathy ~

[quote=Katie1723]this is one of the many reasons I am vegan.
~ Kathy ~
[/quote]

Amen… vegans! :smiley:

[quote=frdave20]Since Jello gelatin is comprised of bone, animal tissue and cartilage is it forbidden by the Church to be eaten on Fridays??
[/quote]

Fr Dave,

If we were Jewish, that would probably be the case. The Torah says not to boil a kid in its mother’s milk, and the Jewish regulations have extended that to not mixing meat and dairy products at all.

But we are not Jewish, and if the Church had wanted us to avoid all animal products that come from killing the animal, then they would have said so. Since Jello doesn’t taste like meat, look like meat, or feel like meat, it isn’t meat, and I would eat it on Fridays without concern.

• Liberian

[quote=rayne89]Wow jello seems a whole lot less appealing now that you’ve reminded of of that. :eek:
[/quote]

Oh man, and I really love jigglers. Now I’ll just think of it as getting more cartilage per square inch. :frowning:

[quote=frdave20]Catholics are required to perform a penitential act. and this is mine during the year. I see that your diocese said that, but what about the universal Church – what is the norm?
[/quote]

If it is a penital act you are choosing to impose yourself with your own accord, I’d say it’s up to you to decide if it will include Jello or not. Seems to me from the description you that you are better without. :slight_smile:

I don’t know that there is a norm anymore. I’ll let someone else answer that.

Out of curiousity (and I don’t have the answer, so I’m not trying to trap anyone), has the Church ever outlined or provided a list of acceptable penitential acts which may be used as substitutes for not eating meat on Friday?

[The following is sarcasm: have said penitential acts been given points, like Weight Watchers assigns points…]

[quote=puzzleannie]there is no longer a rule that penance on Friday must include abstinence from meat so no, jello is not forbidden, or are you asking about Fridays in Lent? in our diocese regulations published last year in Lent stated that condiments made from animal sources such as boullion, broth, gravies or gelatin, as well as dairy items, were permitted.
[/quote]

Somewhere I thought I read that broth wasn’t acceptable, after I made a potato soup with it thinking it would be ok for lent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.