Jerald Tanner will be missed!

Jerald Tanner went home to be with his Lord and Savior last night. Jerald and Sandra Tanner started the Utah Lighthouse Ministry in Salt Lake City over 20 years ago and have remained good and faithful servants of the Savior, %between% I don’t know of anyone who has led more people out of Mormonism and into their rightful relationship with their Creator God. Please keep the Tanner family in your prayers during the next several days.

20And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more. 21His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. (Matt. 25:20-21)

I copied this from an email sent to me by one of my mentors.

in Christ
Steph

May all the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. God bless you Jerald Tanner. :slight_smile:

I remember when I first returned from my mission going to the public library in my Midwestern town and finding their work on the shelves. It was the first thing I read which really questioned Mormonism. I’m sure it planted the seed of my leaving the LDS Church and becoming Catholic.

When I had the opportunity to meet Sandra, I had to apologize to her. I grew up in Orem, about an hour south of SLC. I had written horrible things about her in my journal as a teen. I towed the party line that she was a devil and out to get the “Lord’s church”.
I didn’t get the chance to meet Jerald that time. He was already ill by then.
A group of us ex-mormons met at her bookstore for a preview of the IRR film “The Lost Book of Abraham” with some members from the IRR team. Jerald was a brilliant man and Sandra is just as brilliant and brave in her own right. My prayers do go out to her and my thanks to her as well.
May God bless Jerald richly with His presence.

in Christ
Steph

:gopray: Just an idea for the OP. Having a Mass said for him would really be a fitting tribute.

Awesome idea LittleDeb! I will do that.

in Christ
Steph

May he rest in peace, & may his family be comforted in this time of loss.

I encourage everyone to go to www.utlm.org and subscribe to “The Salt Lake City Messenger”. I did and every other month I receive a fascinating analysis of Mormon issues from the Utah Lighthouse Ministry. It is a great read and I recommend it to all.
God bless,
Paul

Whether I agreed with him or not, I most certainly admired his conviction and how he lived his beliefs. He spent his life spreading the truth as he knew it. I wish I had even a fraction of his passion for spreading the word of God.

I found this interesting. It is from a Mormon message board about his death.

fairboards.org/index.php?showtopic=18414&hl=tanner

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.