Jeremiah 10:11 and 10:15?

**Jeremiah 10:11
Thus shall ye say unto them, The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, even they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens.

Jeremiah 10:15
They are vanity, and the work of errors: in the time of their visitation they shall perish.**

Im curious what ‘gods’ and who are the works of errors referred to in these verses?

I have my own idea, (extraterrestial beings), but Im sure others will not subscribe to this. lol

Odd timing for this question; this doesn’t have anything to do with the tired old assertion that Jeremiah 10 forbids having Christmas trees in houses?

These are the ‘gods’ mentioned in verses 2 and 3 – the ‘gods’ who are the signs in the heavens (i.e., stars and constellations) and those who are the carved idols of the Gentiles.

Jeremiah 10:15
They are vanity, and the work of errors: in the time of their visitation they shall perish.

… who are the works of errors referred to in these verses?

The translation in the RSV-CE is “They are worthless, a work of delusion”. The “work of errors” or the “work of delusion” are the idols that the craftsmen have carved.

I have my own idea, (extraterrestial beings), but Im sure others will not subscribe to this. lol

Right; Jeremiah isn’t talking about “ancient aliens;” he’s talking about worship of stars and of carved idols.

Sounds to me like what the current idea of “aliens” is all about.

I like the Douay-Rheims-Challoner translation of Jeremiah 10:14-15 –

"Every man is become a fool for knowledge, every artist is confounded in his graven idol: for what he hath cast is false, and there is no spirit in them.

“They are vain things and a ridiculous work: in the time of their visitation they shall perish.”

The OP’s question seems to be what “the time of their visitation” means. Basically, it’s not that the idols come and visit (although sometimes pagans did haul their idols around in battle or for other purposes, similarly to how Israel sometimes brought out the Ark to lead their battles).

The idea is that whenever the Lord decides to let His wrath come visit the pagans, the idols also get called up by God, and are then judged and punished by being destroyed. (And it’s pretty easy to destroy a wooden statue or a rock, especially when You’re God and You command all things.)

I think God is referring to actual living beings, whether they are extraterrestrial or extradimensional is another question though.

Plus, statues, and carved idols really cannot perish, they can be destroyed, discarded, forgotten, etc, but cant really die.

Theres another few verses that lead me to believe God has mentioned other life elswhere, one in particular, cant think of the actual verse or book, but says something about his ‘other flocks, not of this pen’, and goes on to say, even these beings he will eventually call upon.

Given verses 8 & 9, I’m not seeing how you might make that claim. Could you provide a plausible interpretation of those verses that supports the ‘extraterrestial or extradimensional’ being hypothesis?

Plus, statues, and carved idols really cannot perish, they can be destroyed, discarded, forgotten, etc, but cant really die.

True enough. Do you realize, though, that the word that you want to take on the meaning of ‘perish’ also can take on the meaning of ‘be destroyed’? That is, you’ll need to make the case that ‘perish’ is the only reasonable translation, in order for your assertion to hold; if the translation can also be ‘be destroyed’, your argument here fails…

Theres another few verses that lead me to believe God has mentioned other life elswhere, one in particular, cant think of the actual verse or book, but says something about his ‘other flocks, not of this pen’, and goes on to say, even these beings he will eventually call upon.

Yes. That’s John 10:16. There, Jesus is talking about the Gentiles, the “other sheep” that are His, but are not of “this pen” of the Jews.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.