Jeremy Corbyn and Nicola Sturgeon condemn Trident at rally [BBC]

**Jeremy Corbyn and Nicola Sturgeon condemn Trident at rally

Politicians including Jeremy Corbyn and Nicola Sturgeon have condemned plans to renew the UK’s Trident nuclear deterrent, at a London rally.

Thousands of people took part in a march and rally in Trafalgar Square.

Labour leader Mr Corbyn said peace was not achieved by “planning for war”, while Scottish First Minister Ms Sturgeon described Trident as “immoral” and “impractical”.

The MoD estimates renewing the Trident system will cost £31bn over 20 years.

That involves acquiring four new submarines to carry the missiles, while a further £10bn has been earmarked for any unexpected costs.

Read more at: bbc.com/news/uk-35678048

Aside from the personalities involved, this does bring up moral issues, disarmament and so on.

The UK would be wise to consider the rise of ISIS, China and Russia and the fact that America may elect another weak leader on foreign policy.

Of course Corbyn will be front and center when it comes to disarmament, but in these dangerous times, the Brits need to see past the anti-war, Labour window dressing.

I remember disarmament working really well for the Brits last time they tried is cough Munich cough.

Let alone, Ukraine disarmed in the early 1990s; that hasn’t worked so well.

I posted the story because whether one likes it or not, this moral dilemma is discussed.

Myself included, a lot of us believe in the old maxim of the Reagan years, “peace through strength”; but some activists see it differently.

Actually, the Brits were re-arming at the time.

I think perhaps you are thinking of appeasement in 1938 (not disarmament) The year before WW2 began and 3 years before the United States decided to help out.

Interestingly Corbyn does not have the backing of his party on this and some front bench spokesmen have said they will resign if it becomes official Labour party policy.

Sadly, they don’t take classics anymore, else they’d know “Vis pacem, para bellum”.

*“If you wish for peace, prepare for war”.
(I don’t really speak Latin, I just live in sight of Latin America :):):))

Atom bombs broke the cycle of generational major wars.

ICXC NIKA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.