Jerry Falwell Jr. is wrong to encourage concealed weapons to “end those Muslims”

not just “others”. the Church has a doctrine of just war, and it affirms the right of self defense, even if it is deadly force.

Yeah, I’m glad Pope Francis got rid of all the guns his Swiss Guard arm themselves with constantly for his and others’ protection. If only those crazy gun nuts could take a cue from Pope Francis and completely disarm. :smiley:

Since you bring it up, Fox ‘news’ bangs the war trumpet louder than any other, I speak as a former Reagan Republican. When they launched the network I saw the danger, as a conservative, to ‘news’ fit for people of a certain political bent. Then we saw MSNBC, fitting ‘news’ for liberals. Real news cannot be ghetto-ized, it has to report for all, not just some. Fox news caters to the most base form of right-wing propaganda, just as MSNBC does for the left-wing.
I no longer watch either, but that brings us back to the OP. It was Falwell who mentioned Fox news. The video shows him pretty worked up (after watching Fox), and then he promptly works up the crowd. To me, it looked similar to that troublemaker in the western movies working up the mob to storm the jail and lynch the prisoner.
This isn’t about gun rights, this is about getting a population worked up into a frenzy to march off to war. We see it with Trump, now Falwell.
I would rather listen to Pope Francis not Trump. I follow the Catholic Church, not Fox or MSNBC. I would rather I get ‘worked up’ to perform acts of mercy, not killing.

Things were a lot different when Sr. Falwell was in charge!. I’m afraid it will take a few more terrorist attacks before some wake up to that fact!! I pray it doesn’t!! God Bless, Memaw

And exactly how does rhetoric about 'ending entire groups of people based on their faith serve a Christian goal or help national security?

The Catholic Church DOES teach that we have a right to defend ourselves, our families and our homeland. Let’s don’t forget, it is the terrorists that are the enemy here, not the people trying to protect themselves and us. If I were ever caught in a situation like that, I’d hope someone there could STOP the terrorists!!! God Bless, Memaw

Terrorists are the enemy, not Muslims in general, let us not forget that either. We do indeed have a right to defend ourselves but I have a hard time imagining any of the last three Popes or any of our clergy standing on a stage with a gun in their pocket in the manner described of Falwell here.

**No, Falwell, We Don’t Need Christian Students Forming Anti-Muslim Gun Patrols **

According to the Washington Post:

[quote]“If some of those people in that community center had what I have in my back pocket right now …,” he said while being interrupted by louder cheers and clapping. “Is it illegal to pull it out? I don’t know,” he said, chuckling.

“I’ve always thought that if more good people had concealed-carry permits, then we could end those Muslims before they walked in,” he says, the rest of his sentence drowned out by loud applause while he said, “and killed them.”

“I just wanted to take this opportunity to encourage all of you to get your permit. We offer a free course,” he said. “Let’s teach them a lesson if they ever show up here.”

A Christian leader, at one of the most influential evangelical colleges, told a basketball arena full of 18–22 year olds to get guns and carry them around in their back pockets in order to take on any radical Muslims that might make their way down to Lynchburg, Va.

Insane. Lord, have mercy.

We don’t need radicalized religious zealots to take up arms to take on other radicalized religious zealots with guns. What we need in this moment are people of good faith and good will to bridge their religious and political divides and work for the common good.
[/quote]

He didn’t say terrorist, he said ‘Muslims’.

This lynch mob mentality is troubling.

Yep, that’s the problem, lack of discrimination and rabble rousing of this kind.

Fox is certainly partially responsible for the lynch mob mentality of Trump and Falwell.

I guess you subscribe to the (rather common, IME) notion that FoxNews is to the right what MSNBC is to the left; but I don’t see it. If MSNBC has a mirror image (or whatever other term we might use) it would have to be something like the news coverage on EWTN or CBN.

Yes. That’s precisely why I found his statement highly troubling.

Now when did I say that Muslims in general were the enemy??? I do believe I used the word terrorists only!!! Right, I doubt any Pope would either, he has his protective guards that do that. What do you think they would do if someone started shooting there??? We need to get our head out of the sand and be honest about what is happening to our society, in more ways than ONE. God Bless Memaw

Never, I would hope. (But I’m not your biographer.)

These kinds of statements can be dangerous. Going from one extreme to the other does not help the situation at all. God Bless.Memaw

I’m sure he meant the ones that are radical Muslim terrorists doing the shooting. not every single one of them. Give him a break, he is a Minister after all. God Bless, Memaw

Indeed, Mr Falwell’s statements can indeed be dangerous.

I find the notion of a minister with a gun in his pocket engaging in this sort of demagoguery alien to me. I see no reason why someone should be given a break simply because they are a minister. If they say something they are responsible for it regardless of who they are, if their statement is unclear then let them clarify it.

My very liberal, non Christian friends love Pope Francis and see him as the face of peace and fairness in a crazy world.

I don’t think they, or anyone else, would want him to be without proper security. I know he pushes the envelope sometimes with his dodging here and there or in an open vehicle, but I am sure most think his level of security is to be expected.

You are talking about two extremes here. Being a gun nut and completely disarming are opposite ends of the spectrum. I strive to be moderate in such things as gun ownership and gun control.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.