Jerusalem rabbis 'condemn dog to death by stoning'

A Jewish rabbinical court condemned to death by stoning a stray dog it feared was the reincarnation of a lawyer who insulted its judges, reports say. The dog entered the Jerusalem financial court several weeks ago and would not leave, reports Israeli website Ynet.

It reminded a judge of a curse passed on a now deceased secular lawyer about 20 years ago, when judges bid his spirit to enter the body of a dog. The animal is said to have escaped before the sentence was carried out.

One of the judges at the court in the city’s ultra-Orthodox Mea Shearim neighbourhood had reportedly asked local children to carry out the sentence. An animal welfare organisation filed a complaint with the police against a court official, who denied reports that judges had ordered the dog’s stoning, according to Ynet.

But a court manager told Israeli daily Yediot Aharonot the stoning had been ordered as “as an appropriate way to ‘get back at’ the spirit which entered the poor dog”, according to Ynet.

Dogs are considered impure animals in traditional Judaism.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13819764

:frowning: i love dogs and wow just wow stoning dog whats next :shrug:

Truly bizarre.

Jews believe in reincarnation now? :confused:

I think it’s ironic that I just posted a thread concerning the issue of morality in the treatment of animals, and mentioned that the Torah commands one to be kind to animals as they are representative of G-d’s Creation. Thus hunting for sport is forbidden, feeding one’s pet before oneself and one’s family required, and killing animals for food and clothing permitted but only by using the sharpest needle to inflict the least pain and suffering on the animal. It is also true that some Torah Jews consider dogs impure and would not own one, mainly due to the story of a barking dog’s causing a woman’s miscarriage. However, there are also Torah Jews who do own dogs although cats are preferred as pets. This report, if true, is against Torah teaching, no matter how ultra-Orthodox (Haredi is the preferred term) these people are. While reincarnation is not expressly forbidden in Judaism as a means of fulfilling Torah Law more completely through successive generations, it is certainly not part of Jewish doctrine and is in fact a concept discouraged by many Rabbis, being more a part of Jewish folklore–including demons and evil spirits–than Jewish Law. More important, this kind of behavior is shameful in my view, because it shows disrespect and lack of compassion for one of G-d’s creatures and consequently for G-d Himself. Haredi Judaism, technically more Orthodox in some ways than even the Hasidic branches of Judaism, are outside the traditional Orthodox and modern Orthodox divisions and have certain customs which traditional Torah Judaism (let alone Conservative Judaism and Reform Judaism) frowns upon.

The apostles asked Jesus whether a man was blind from birth due to his own sin or his parents.  (John 9:-32)

and people were surprised at Jesus who sent the demon-possessed swine to jump off a cliff

i have heard the zohar talks about it.

There are so many things wrong with this I almost don’t know where to begin but how about the bolded part:

Seriously? I really question the validity because are people really that…that…there isn’t a strong enough word that basically means stupid…for having children do it. I do know people like that exist but I didn’t think it would be in a civilised place.

I was thinking the same thing! Poor kids, what a terrible thing to ask them to do!

To borrow from the Christian scriptures, let those religions without bonkers groups within them, cast the first stone. :wink:

Um, whose scripture is that from?

I did say borrow and I’m sure you know the original.

Yes, I know the original. That doesn’t make this story any less troubling!

These guys are savages and NO I an not condemning all Jews.

A Jewish rabbinical court condemned to death by stoning a stray dog it feared was the reincarnation of a lawyer who insulted its judges, reports say

http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/signs/no-comment-2.gif

That’s all I had to read. Very interesting, lol.

The French really love their dogs.

Well of course no Judge, Rabbinical or otherwise has the authority to order a dog stoned to death. Of course, even in the original news story, not only was the dog not stoned to death but not a single stone was thrown at the dog. Of course, under Israeli law if any one had thrown a stone at the dog they would have been liable under Israeli law which insures the humane treatment of animals. In fact, a few years back an Israeli Judge ordered a man to be remanded in custody for trial after he had killed his daughter’s puppy during a drunken domestic dispute with his wife (I know this to be true as I was the Judge).

Seriously, are you people this gullible? This article is an obvious attempt to discredit Israel and Orthodox Jews.

And for those of you who are pro-life, you should know that Orthodox Jews are despised by many for their opposition to abortion and assisted-suicide.

What makes you think this article isn’t credible?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.