Jesuit Oath

Hi, I’m new to the forum so please forgive if I’m covering old ground. I did do a search in this forum (maybe I’m in the wrong one!) but found nothing about what’s been circulating about the “Jesuit Oath”. Can anyone tell me what’s going on about this? Surely, it isn’t true. I really can’t believe it. All the Jesuits I’ve ever known (at least a hundred, over the years–yyyes, I’m nearly 60) have been wonderful people and especially sensitive to ecumenical relationships with our separated brothers and sisters. So, where did this secret “Jesuit Oath” come from? Please, “fill me in!”

Members of the Society of Jesus take the following Vows;

Poverty; Chastity; Obedience (to their superior), which are standard of Religious Orders.

Jesuits also take a fourth Vow;

Obedience to the Pope, to work as he sees fit.

One of the staff apologists here at CAF says this:

You can rest assured that the “Jesuit Oath” you’re referring to is a complete fabrication with no basis in fact whatsoever. According to the Catholic Encyclopedia (see “Jesuit Apologetic” link below) this oath was the product of the imagination of the forger Robert Ware (mid to late 1600’s).

She writes more, and if you are interested, you can read it here:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=14245&highlight=jesuit

More recently, some anti-Catholic individuals have been trying to claim that the US Congress has somehow authenticated the oath. This, as you might imagine, is also false.
evangelizationstation.com/htm_html/Anti-Catholicism/jesuit_oath_debunked.htm

Here is an old thread [thread=130737]Very weird alleged "Jesuit quote"[/thread]

tee

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.