Jesuit Pope

I was listening to a radio talk show host today, and he said that the elite Jesuits are not allowed to be Cardinals, Bishops, or Popes.

Is there a written rule confirming this claim?

If Pope Francis weren’t available to refute that claim, the late Avery Cardinal Dulles could. I’m sure there are more.

I thought Pope Francis was a Jesuit ! ! ! :rolleyes:

yes he is. I’m just trying to see if what this talk show host said, is true or not.

Point being? You’re confusing. :confused:

Google “Jesuit Bishops” and “Jesuit Cardinals”.

Obviously not, since we currently have a Jesuit Pope.

did you hear this on catholic radio?:confused:

If it was true then he wouldn’t be Pope, as he is. :confused:

:confused:

Yup… duh.

No rule that I am aware of.

Although there are many who think we’re still not quite ready for an infallible Jesuit. :smiley:

Okay. Since we know that Pope Francis is a Jeuit and was once a Bishop and then a Cardinal, I think it is safe to conclude that what the radio talk show host said is not true. So, there can be no written rule to confirm this false claim.

Obviously Jesuits can become cardinals (see Dulles), bishops (see Barber), and pope (see Francis). So if the radio talk show host said they can’t take on these offices he was wrong.

However, Jesuits do promise not to aspire to higher office in the Church. (See here for info.) There’s a difference between accepting an office when you are asked to do so and striving to gain an office.

I think it is quite refreshing to have an infallible Jesuit. Finally, a modern Jesuit who is prevented by the Holy Spirit from getting it wrong. :smiley:

I think the sense of it is that if a Jesuit, or any member of a religious community, order, etc, becomes a bishop, or higher office, he no longer is bound by obedience within that religious community. The newly appointed bishop of Anytown is no longer subject to a provincial or General of that order (Jesuits, or other) because he is exclusively under the Pope now. (I suspect, but don’t know, that he no longer would be able to function as a provincial or General of his order anymore either, while he was actively functioning in the hierarchy). I know Archbishop Lefebvre was both a bishop, and official in a religious order prior to Vatican II, but I don’t know if he was over a specific see while he was an official in his religious order.)

The late Cardinal Avery Dulles, SJ, was already retired and was named as cardinal as an honor, with no ecclesiastic assignment as “cardinal” that I know of. I think he continued living in community at Fordham after being named. What I don’t know is whether
a Franciscan bishop with an active assignment in the hierarchy, such as Cardinal O’Malley, could live “in community” after becoming bishop. The rules for Jesuits may be different from Franciscans.

Obviously Pope Francis, or other religious who become bishops, would still practice the specific devotional life from their order’s tradition.

I remember reading that Jesuits are not allowed to be Pope but he was either given permission or was allowed to leave the Jesuits in order to be Pope…

No. The Jesuits take certain vows, which you can look up on your own. They vow to live simple lives without fancy things, surroundings or titles; however, they more than anything do not deny where God is leading, even if it is a path they never sought out or planned on.

I have been told by many Jesuit priest that when Pope Francis joined the Jesuits, the very last thing on is mind was becoming the Pope someday, but he believed the Holy Spirit was very much present in guiding the election, and although, probably very unsure, accepted what God was calling him to do.

I think what many Catholic need to be open to is that those Cardinals and Bishops knew what electing a Jesuit priest might mean for the Church and they must have seen that a new spirit and leadership was needed for the Church at this time whether they can agree with it or not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.