Jesuit University says support to gay organizations is “the Catholic thing” to do

**Jesuit University says support to gay organizations is “the Catholic thing” to do

** Santa Clara, Calif, Nov. 04, 2005 (CNA) - [font=Arial][size=2]An official from the Jesuit-run Santa Clara University in California told Catholic News Agency that hosting a two-day long conference, on how to promote opportunities for gays and lesbians at Catholic colleges is “the Catholic” way to act as opposed to highlighting the intrinsic immorality of homosexual acts.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2]As the Vatican prepares a document reiterating its stance, particularly against homosexuality in seminaries, the aim of the conference entitled “Out There” was to highlight scholarships and student affairs being created to cater specifically to gays and lesbians at Catholic institutions. [/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2]The conference brought together representatives from the Universities of Georgetown, Loyola Marymount, Gonzaga, Fordham, DePaul, La Salle, Marquette and Emory, as well as Boston College, and College of the Holy Cross. Out of the plus 40 Catholic universities represented, thirteen were Jesuit institutions like Santa Clara.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2]Some 150 attendees were invited to choose from workshops like, “Curriculum and Same-Sex Marriage in a Jesuit University” and “Can I Be Gay and Catholic?”[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2]The dean’s office and Santa Clara’s campus ministry helped finance the event, which was organized largely by English professor Linda Garber.
[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2]more…
[/size][/font]

That makes me think of a joke my high school religion teacher said, “What’s the only thing that doesn’t change during a Jesuit mass…the bread and wine!”

I have a couple of friends that attend Creighton University. It is Jesuit (although being in the Midwest it is much more orthodox than say Boston College, especially with regards to the students) and about a month ago they had a gay priest come in to talk about how it’s okay to be gay and Catholic. He made no mention of the difference between homosexuality and being gay. The area bishop was in attendance and talked afterwards to explain how that was completely against Catholic teaching and to suggest that Creighton should reconsider the importance of its standing as a Catholic University.

I think the problem with the Jesuits is that while they are under the Pope, they are not under any bishop. It is sad to see the order that once held the teachers of the church falling prey to misguided sympathy.

What would they know about what the Catholic thing to do is?

I’m not adequately able to convey the revulsion I feel towards this attitude.

1 Like

Gay activism has made itself the new minority. This appeal to Catholics to be tolerant would naturally follow the Catholic predisposition to help those in need and those being discriminated against. The Catholic church had better wise up about the difference between loving the sinner and aiding the sin.

I know the Pope has gotten some good press lately on his pastoral side shining, contrary to what many thought when he was elected, but to be honest, I would really like to see him get royally ticked off and do some serious house-cleaning with our Bishops and priests.
I’m glad Jesus promised the gates of hell won’t prevail, or I’d be getting real worried…

[quote=m134e5]What would they know about what the Catholic thing to do is?
[/quote]

:amen:

[You beat me to it.:wink: ]

[quote=Elzee]I know the Pope has gotten some good press lately on his pastoral side shining, contrary to what many thought when he was elected, but to be honest, I would really like to see him get royally ticked off and do some serious house-cleaning with our Bishops and priests.
[/quote]

I hope he includes the Society of Jesus (Jesuit order) in that agenda.

I’m glad Jesus promised the gates of hell won’t prevail, or I’d be getting real worried…

You aren’t kiddin, my feelings exactly…

Originally Posted by Joe Kelly
[You beat me to it.:wink: ]

Just like buffalo beat me to posting this thread, glad to see someone else is on top of the important stuff that comes up.:wink:

:banghead:
Need I say more.

I’m sorry, but I would immediately remove all support from the Catholic Church and order all those Jesuits into a monastery where they would have no contact with the public. There, they could learn the faith they have either forgotten or never understood right in the first place. They would, of course, always have the option of being laicized and sent packing. Life’s all about choices. Time to take the gloves off with these wolves in sheeps clothing!

[quote=Scoobyshme]I’m sorry, but I would immediately remove all support from the Catholic Church and order all those Jesuits into a monastery where they would have no contact with the public. There, they could learn the faith they have either forgotten or never understood right in the first place. They would, of course, always have the option of being laicized and sent packing. Life’s all about choices. Time to take the gloves off with these wolves in sheeps clothing!
[/quote]

Yes perhaps a year or two of sacred silence so they can listen to God would be in order.

We need a vomiting emoticon.

1 Like

Maybe we could just make them repeat their First Communion Class.

1 Like

Fortunately, the misguided pc and radical lib baby boomer Jesuits who have done so much to undermine the Jesuit Order are dying off and are slowly being replaced by orthodox Roman Catholics who follow Church teachings and doctrine.

I guess it depends on the Jesuit. I have faith in Father Mitch Pacwa and he is a Jebi.

When exactly did it transpire that 90% of news, speeches, current events, etc. relate to the gay agenda?

I want it to stop… I don’t know how much more I can take!

Seriously, not too long ago, the use of the word “gay” used in this sense was a controversial and somewhat shocking thing to behold. Now, it seems like I can’t read a single internet news site, watch the news, or listen to talk radio without there being some story regarding gays in some fashion or another. And now it’s become a daily issue within the Church.

I don’t want to sound apocalyptic, but when the this is even up for debate within the Catholic Church, it is not a good sign of the times we are in.

[quote=manualman]We need a vomiting emoticon.
[/quote]

Ditto!
Moderator…???
The frown face just doesn’t hit the mark sometimes. :frowning:

It’s sad to see that so many Jesuits and Jesuit institutions have gone completely off the rails. Pray for them.

[quote=gomer tree]When exactly did it transpire that 90% of news, speeches, current events, etc. relate to the gay agenda?

I want it to stop… I don’t know how much more I can take!

Seriously, not too long ago, the use of the word “gay” used in this sense was a controversial and somewhat shocking thing to behold. Now, it seems like I can’t read a single internet news site, watch the news, or listen to talk radio without there being some story regarding gays in some fashion or another. And now it’s become a daily issue within the Church.

I don’t want to sound apocalyptic, but when the this is even up for debate within the Catholic Church, it is not a good sign of the times we are in.
[/quote]

The Boston Globe usually has at least one or two (and sometimes several) pro-gay related stories in their paper every day. The media continues to hammer away with their agenda when it comes to this issue … Why? Since only 1-2% of the population is gay, I’m not sure why but it probably has something to do with the secular mindset and beliefs. I also just want it to end!

[quote=Riley259]The Boston Globe usually has at least one or two (and sometimes several) pro-gay related stories in their paper every day. The media continues to hammer away with their agenda when it comes to this issue … Why? Since only 1-2% of the population is gay, I’m not sure why but it probably has something to do with the secular mindset and beliefs. I also just want it to end!
[/quote]

Let’s call a spade a spade. They are allies of Satan. They have sold their souls to the devil. As my mom used to say, " All we can do is pray,pray, pray."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.