Jesuits Doing Apologetics

In spite of only being in the middle of high school, I have been giving serious consideration to becoming a priest, specifically, a Jesuit, recently. I have always wanted to do Catholic Apologetics but always, until recently, thought of doing it as a layperson or deacon rather than a priest. However, now that I am discerning the priesthood (albeit a young age), I am curious as to doing Catholic Apologetics as a Jesuit - can a Jesuit write books, participate in debates, be interviewed, etc. if it goes with his vows/schedule? If I were to become a priest, duty would come first, which would be Sacraments and Mass. But, are Jesuits allowed to do full-scale apologetics? Or are they better suited as 2 separate jobs? Thanks. :)

All you need to do is to look at the life and works of Servant of God Fr. John Anthony Hardon, SJ to find the answer. May his intercession bring you consolation and assistance with your vocational discernment.

In short answer, Yes!

The Society of Jesus is, among other things, a teaching-order, so there are plenty of academics in the fields of theology and philosophy. There have also been many Jesuit scientists(e.g. Boscovich and Teilhard de Chardin).

Yes if you would want to be a priest And do stuff like that, the jesuits would be the best place to do it but please remember that you will have to be obiedient to your superior. The Jesuits ministry is mostly education and I'm sure you find what your looking for with them. Contact a Jesuit near you now!!! It's never to early to talk with a vocation director. Im 17 and I have been talking to mine since I was 16 but I'm in the process to enter the diocesan priesthood at 18 but I'm not to sure if the Jesuits accept men that age.

[quote="HumbleCrusader, post:4, topic:214215"]
Yes if you would want to be a priest And do stuff like that, the jesuits would be the best place to do it but please remember that you will have to be obiedient to your superior. The Jesuits ministry is mostly education and I'm sure you find what your looking for with them. Contact a Jesuit near you now!!! It's never to early to talk with a vocation director. Im 17 and I have been talking to mine since I was 16 but I'm in the process to enter the diocesan priesthood at 18 but I'm not to sure if the Jesuits accept men that age.

[/quote]

thanks. I think you can enroll in the Jesuit Seminary right after High School but need to get an Undergrad to complete Ordination, or can just get one and then enroll. Does anyone on this forum know? Undergrad before Seminary or Undergrad in Seminary?

[quote="Pieman333272, post:5, topic:214215"]
thanks. I think you can enroll in the Jesuit Seminary right after High School but need to get an Undergrad to complete Ordination, or can just get one and then enroll. Does anyone on this forum know? Undergrad before Seminary or Undergrad in Seminary?

[/quote]

I believe that a Jesuit always completes an undergraduate degree by the end of first studies.

[quote="Young_Thinker, post:6, topic:214215"]
I believe that a Jesuit always completes an undergraduate degree by the end of first studies.

[/quote]

Thanks, I looked it up on a Jesuit Site, and it said they would study for a Bachelor's only if they didn't get one prior to entering the seminary. One more (off-topic) question: When do you first enroll for becoming a Jesuit? Right after High School? After College? In College? After post-grad?

Contacting the Jesuits really shouldn't be too difficult. As has been noted, the Jesuit Apostolate consists in the main of teaching. Within that context, Apologetics would seem to be a natural fit.

If you feel you're being called to the Jesuits, I would urge you to contact them. They can give you the specifics of what they're looking for, what they require, and where you might fit in that picture.

I personally don't have a problem with a high school student feeling a "call" to the Priesthood. While I would commend prayerful caution, there would also be no harm in becoming familiar with the Jesuits, and seeking their assistance with your questions.

Don't be afraid to pray. Pray to the Holy Spirit and to Our Blessed Mother for help in you efforts at discernment. A Vocation has to begin somewhere, and it's quite possible yours has begun.

My brother is a Jesuit Novice in the Province of New Orleans. He enrolled after completing his undergrad, but there are two novices in his entrance group who have just completed high school. There is also a second year novice who is in his forties. If I was you, I’d contact the local Jesuits. They’ll probably invite you to a discernment retreat, and there you can better guage whether you’re called to the priesthood.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.